paprhangr

Hem My Jeans

Since I have a Consew 206 RB 5, thought I try to hem my jeans.

Can anyone recommend what size thread and needle works best?

We hem most jeans with tex 80 thread and a size 125/20 needle. Regards, Eric

Thanks, tex 80 ? I am new to sewing,is that what I ask for at JoAnn store? I have bonded nylon 92 and I picked up some small spools of upholstery thread 300mm can they be used to sew jeans?

I use type 'E' thread and a size 18 needle...or maybe 20? I forget...

F thread would work fine too though, but I find E is as durable as I need...

I dont understand the E & F threads? could you explain

thanks for the link in the right direction now :)

I buy #80 Jeans thread from Wawak Tailor's Supply: www.wawak.com

While not a thread answer, to help get over the seams I use a jean-a-ma-jig, AKA hump-jumper.

While not a thread answer, to help get over the seams I use a jean-a-ma-jig, AKA hump-jumper.

I used one of those until I got a walking foot machine. The OP also uses a walking foot machine and won't need the jig.

thanks for the help. i di hem 3 pairs of jeans and turned out good.

this trick i found on you tube about cutting out a little bit of that heavy hump

made it easy going over.

Nice job. You'll likely get some fray there where it's notched, but the rest of the rolled hem will keep it in check.

Regards, Eric

Actually, I do have a compound walking-foot machine, but I'm a novice and sometimes I get over the seams easily and sometimes find the jean-a-ma-jig helpful.

thanks, I love all the 'tricks" keep n comin

For a little more detail, I use seam-stick rather than pins. Since seam-stick tends to gum-up the needle, it is applied toward the center of the hem away from the stitch line. The inside, flat-feeled seam is the hardest to get over, so I start toward the back on top of that seam, sew a few stitches, back-tack and then sew off that hump rather than over it. Starting on that seam also means that the starting and ending back-tacks are less visible. The regular seam on the other side is relatively easy to get over. The jean-a-ma-jig is helpful finishing on the flat-felled seam.

For a little more detail, I use seam-stick rather than pins. Since seam-stick tends to gum-up the needle, it is applied toward the center of the hem away from the stitch line. The inside, flat-feeled seam is the hardest to get over, so I start toward the back on top of that seam, sew a few stitches, back-tack and then sew off that hump rather than over it. Starting on that seam also means that the starting and ending back-tacks are less visible. The regular seam on the other side is relatively easy to get over. The jean-a-ma-jig is helpful finishing on the flat-felled seam.

Very close to what I do.

I use a walking foot machine using a #21 needle and #69 bonded nylon thread ( because thats what I build all my gear with).

I use sail tape ( a 3/8" double sided tape that doesn't stick to the needle) to hold my first roll then I chalk a line on the outside that I use as a guide for my second roll.

I start sewing on the inside of the leg behind the thick seam, to better hide my start and stop. I use a guide made out of a strip of 1/4" foam attached to my machine using the same double sided tape.

This method works like a champ and I have never had a seam failure.

Scott

We cheat in the factory when hemming our jeans. It's a Union Special 63900T which is a cylinder machine set up with a compensating foot. It has small rollers on the bottom and just to make sure the seams can be sewed over at high speed, there's a close-coupled puller. To cheat further, it also has an air operated hemming folder that makes a perfect 5/8" rolled hem. We bought 3 of these when we first made Levi's in the 80's. They are pretty bulletproof, made in Chicago. Each leg takes about 12 seconds depending on the operator. I do soak the Tex 80 thread in silicone to prevent melting. I'll snap a pic if I remember, it's a cool old machine.

Regards, Eric

Eric works in a magic place; a sewing Wonderland that most mortals can never see.