I would like to get an airbrush, but I don't know a lot (or, well, anything) about airbrushing and I don't want to buy something that won't end up suiting my needs.

Is it better to buy an all in one 'airbrush kit' complete with compressor, or is it better to buy things separate?

What I'd like to do with it is apply all-over dyes and finishes as well as experiment with different techniques, like doing a gradient colour (example fading from red to black) - what kind of brushes do I need?

Is it possible to get a decent machine (including compressor) for around $100-150, max $200?

This is one that I'm possibly looking at - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-3-5-Gravity-Dual-Action-AIRBRUSH-KIT-Tank-Air-Compressor-Hobby-Cake-Tattoo-/200894367286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec63cc636 - does anyone have experience with this brand?

Look at harbor freight. I got mine for under 20usd. If you have a shop air compressor just regulate the pressure down to what you want or you can get a complete kit with compressor from them also. If you have never used an air brush this will do basic finishes and dyes. This a tool like any other, better with more frills cost more money. There are a lot more experienced people on here than me that can probably go into more detail about them. I just do occasional work with it usually fading colors on dyes or spraying finishes with it. Hope this helps.

David

I just looked at your attachment, it doesn't look bad for a gravity feed with different needles but I don't know anything about that brand.

Edited by David8386

Master brand is another hit or miss knockoff. I read of some success and others that failed. For the price, you'd be better going with something else.

If you're looking to start with that kind of budget, get yourself a Paasche VL or Badger 155 and a craftsman compressor. You'll want to make sure you get a dual action airbrush regardless. This allows you to control both airflow and paintflow from the trigger.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6c88b232

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b8c8b93a

I just use this Harbor Freight compressor. You'll want to get an air accessory kit as well (coiled hose, quick-connect fittings) and some moisture filters.

http://www.harborfre...ssor-69269.html

If you get an airbrush from Harbor Freight as well, make sure to get the Deluxe Model since it's the only dual action they have. It's actually a pretty good one, but I just figure if you're going to give yourself a good budget, you might as well get something that has easily available parts and service like one of the two above. Tandy actually carries parts for the Paasche.

http://www.harborfre...-kit-95810.html

Edited by Cyberthrasher

David - we do have a shop compressor, but I'm pretty sure my husband would throw a fit if I took it out of his garage and put it in my office and it's kind of on its last legs. Part of keeping our marriage happy is keeping my workspace and his separate! ;) That's good to know though that it doesn't have to be a 'special' air compressor.

Thanks for the links, Cyberthrasher - I did a little looking around and there's a local art store that also carries Paasche parts so I'll probably go with that one.

Thanks for the links, Cyberthrasher - I did a little looking around and there's a local art store that also carries Paasche parts so I'll probably go with that one.

Good choice :)

I've been using the Harbor Freight model since I started, but just ordered a Paasche to allow some more detail work. I'll be using the HF for acrylics now. Keep in mind that those compressors can be noisy, so if noise is an issue, you may be better off getting a small one designed for airbrushing (since you say you're working in your office). They don't hold much air, so they run more often, but they are a lot quieter.

That rose to the left was painted with the Paasche VL. Can't go wrong with these things.. they've been around a long time, nearly indestructable, and replacement parts are everywhere. Simple to use, simple to clean.

I work inside as well, so a silent compressor will be an ABSOLUTE must... if you just want to airbrush big areas, a cheaper airbrush will do, but if you want to do small delicate airbrushing, buy the best DUAL action airbrush you can get.

Even better....take a one day intro course on airbrushing and the instructor will be able to guide you... . Also, if you have an airbrush, you must know how to completely pull it apart and put back together....learn this before you start using it. There are lots of good guides on youtube...i use an Iwata with a top fill...i have had the bottom syphon, but i found i like the top fill...probably just preference.

cheers

I work inside as well, so a silent compressor will be an ABSOLUTE must...

I work inside, but I have a basement work area, so my noise production is fairly isolated. I just can't do anything at night when I have insomnia since our bedroom is on the other side of my work area wall :)

When I started, I was primarily focused on bigger areas, so the HF model was perfect. Now I'm trying to get into more detailed stuff, hence the change in models for me. Resolene will always be a "cover-all" approach for the most part, so that HF will still have its use.

Hmm, the noise level is definitely worth considering. At first I hadn't given it much thought since most of my work is done during the day when my husband isn't even home, but there are times when the noise could be an issue (like when he's watching a hockey game).

An intro to airbrushing course would be great, I'll do a little more hunting around to see what's available but so far all I've found is one at the previously mentioned art store and they're pretty infamous for pushing THEIR products and not appreciating you bringing something else from home. They do stock the parts for Paasche models but the only complete airbrush sets they sell are in the $3-500 range.

I was and still am a user of Iwata airbrushes and compressors. They are eeeexpensive. Recently, I have ordered and used some Veda brushes from Hong Kong, and quite impressed, even if they only cost about $35 for their best brush shipped. I have a few of then now that cost much less together than any one of my Iwatas. And they work pretty good, in fact very good. They make several models, Gravity, Siphon, and side feed. I tried the top of the line Airbrush Depot compressor, but it and a replacement weren't quite ready for prime as the controls were not right. TCP Global was great about it (maybe because I bought it through Amazon) and replaced it with shipping both ways and full credit. I bought an Iwata compressor through them and they were also great and shipped fast. The Iwata compressor is quiet and works well with any airbrush but is, like I said, expensive. You might want to read Chuck's website as he has some tutorials and product demos of these airbrushes. Much better info than I can give you here.

http://www.chuckbauman.com/airbrushes-free-airbrush-reviews.htm

Art

If your husband is handy, he can make you a compressor out of a refrigerator compressor and a tank, with a couple of controls and a regulator, I have seen one and it is whisper quiet.

Art

Also, coastairbrush.com is a GREAT place to get excellent products and service. They also have a forum setup by their owner that's dedicated to Kustom Kultur such as airbrushing and pinstriping. It's a good place to get lots of help from the TOP pros. There are also some videos on tutorials on their site. it's also a good place to find information on the various compressors and how people feel about them. At one point I was going to buy an Iwata Ninja because it was low cost and an "Iwata" - then I found out that, as I already knew, even the best of names can produce low quality equipment. That's when I figured for the price, I'd be better off with a standard compressor since i don't need silence.

I usually end up buying a lot of stuff from TCP Global, but never have purchased any of their branded products.

If your husband is handy, he can make you a compressor out of a refrigerator compressor and a tank, with a couple of controls and a regulator, I have seen one and it is whisper quiet.

Art

Well yes, technically he is handy but he's also a little short on time - I think I'd end up waiting about three years for him to make one for me.

Thanks for those links, guys - I can see I've got some reading material for the foreseeable future! :)

My Paasches (plural) are hooked up to a pancake compressor from Menards, made by Stanley Bostitch. It's a bit loud, for a few minutes. Even after being drained, it runs for about 3-4 minutes, then kicks off. So i just turn it on and then have coffee. By the time the coffee is done, so is the noise. I got it for a little over $100, but came with two finish nail guns that would cost over that alone.

I have used the Iwata 4003 HP-CH Hi-Line Airbrush for awhile now. I do have 2 paasche airbrushes as well but prefer the Iwata because I have used them more than any other. I use to teach Airbrushing classes at Pacific Coast Airbrush in California back in HighSchool.

As for my compressor I use the Iwata IS850 Smart Jet Air Compressor. I have two air tanks that I use when it is late/early and my family is sleeping.