I just finished this belt. It is a 1 1/2'" belt finished with Fiebing's Antique Mahogany. I messed up the US Mail on the Stage Coach but otherwise I am reasonably pleased. Is there a market for this kind of work? I am not looking to make a living, just pay for the expenses associated with the hobby.

I used to take my belts and wallets to the local rodeo's and indian pow-wow's and would sell out in about 3 hours. Gun shows, I have heard, are also good places.

Cecil,

I always liked the looks of belts like that, but I dont know how anyone can stand to carve those tiny details. I have to use reading glasses and magnifiers when I carve big pictures these days. I am sure there is a market out there, I hope you find it. Thanks for sharing the pictures

Clay

I used to take my belts and wallets to the local rodeo's and indian pow-wow's and would sell out in about 3 hours. Gun shows, I have heard, are also good places.

Gun shows are not necessarily good places if you want to sell something for a reasonable price. Everyone I've talked to wants prices like Cabela's catalog. I tell them that most of the holsters that Cabela sells are made outside of the U.S. by someone earning $2 an hour. They don't care as long as they don't have to shake the cobwebs outta their wallets. Just my experience.

Yeah, I guess it all boils down to location, location, location. Here in Vancouver, there are a couple of gun shows run by local Granges. I have seen a couple of leather workers there selling their wares and doing pretty well. One guy only does the western style holsters, the other only sells belts. The last time I spoke to them they said they sell about half their inventory before the end of the day. Now, I don't know what price the guy wanted for his belts, but the holster guy was selling his from anywhere between $150 and $300. So I guess it all depends on where you live and where you go and what the market demand is.

Cecil i love that belt its so wild west its got it all going for it, its preiceless really but you will find some lucky guy thats going to want it just dont sell yourself short, if you got to sell it at a gun show keep in the back of your head what the price of a box of ammo costs and they dont think twice about spending a couple of thousand on a hand gun, great belt, Don

Thank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate the suggestions for finding a market for belts with this type of carving.

Once again my friend, GREAT carving! Your work is improving with every belt!

Thanks again for inspiring me to do mine!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Ken

Cecil, That belt came out Great! I know just how hard it is to do small carvings! Keep up the good work!

Nice work..Selling I find is good on eBay with a buy it now price just make sure you put lots of good photos up with the posting also I have found http://www.etsy.com/ a very good place to sell from. I run at a local craft market and work in front of the stall just messing around hand sewing and a little tooling I have found will get them interested in what is going on I have found this a good talking point and a good way of helping them part with there cash just by stamping there name on something like a key flob and then putting the finishing touches to the item works well and quite a few on lookers will end up buying from you.. Also being realistic with your pricing and open to offers on items but not silly ones as the customer honestly would wont to buy rubbish I point that out to them that I dont deal in rubbish..

David Wolf