MADMAX22

Spongy leather after cased

Hey guys on a couple of projects that I had to do over a few days I noticed that after I cased my leather and then had to keep it in the fridge (bagged up) and then started working the leather that certain areas were allmost like a tacky sponge feel. When I was ready to carve I would take it out of the fridge and let it get to room temp and at this time let it dry out some to get to a good carving state.

Well when i let get to the point of getting a good allmost dry looking color and started my work. When it came time to bevel I noticed at certain parts the leather would allmost stick to the beveler and fell allmost spongy. I could get it to eventually do what I want but this just doenst seem right.

Maybe the leather Im not sure, its 8/9oz from tandy. Anyone had this issue before.

I have had simaliar problems and in my opinion it's the Tandy leather was this there top line of leather or lower line.

Josh

P.S. I have figured up the cost and Tandy is more than wc for there top of the line stuff

It was a oak leaf side that I had gotten a little while back.

Yeah Ive got my first order of WandC on the way. Gonna try them out and see how I like it. They are cheaper then tandy for top of the line stuff but to be honest Ive never scene any of the top of the line stuff at either tandy shop Ive gone too. I would probably still be going tandy for the leather but Ive been disapointed the last couple of trips (about 40min truck drive to get there 1way). I am somewhat picky but not too bad and the last couple of times I just havnt found anything that looked good enough to spend money on.

I liked it because I could pick out my leather but the last two trips I passed on buying anything but oddlot suede because there wasnt any tooling veg tan that was worth me throwing my hard earned money on. Add that too the drive and its just not worth it for me, Im gonna start taking the internet gamble and see what happens.

I for one love W&C's leather. I just got 2 #3 sides from them at $90 each, and it's nicer that some of the #1 stuff I've gotten elsewhere. Have you tried slicking your leather after casing, Madmax?

I for one love W&C's leather. I just got 2 #3 sides from them at $90 each, and it's nicer that some of the #1 stuff I've gotten elsewhere. Have you tried slicking your leather after casing, Madmax?

Yes actually since I started that one thread that took off a while ago I have been slicking about 90% of it.

I picked up a nice piece of ceramic tile at lowes, its one of the counter top edge pieces that looks like a really wide L shape. Works great until I decide to spend the money on a glass one.

I think I've gone through about 20-30 Oak Leaf sides, and none of them behaved the way you're describing. All the ones I have gotten are fairly nice. That was mostly what I used for a couple of years. I still like it for some things.

Nowadays, I use mostly the W&C #2 grade tooling sides, and they are quite good, better than the "premium" sides I've gotten from other vendors. I like it a LOT. I recently took them up on their $90/side sale for the #3 grade sides. I haven't tried any of these yet, so I hope I don't regret getting two of the lower-grade. :head_hurts_kr:

Kate

Hey kate thanks for the input, Ive been mostly happy with there oak leaf or better grades just thought this was weird.

Hey is that sale still going on on those sides do you know.

Sounds like you are down the skin near the belly ,that will act like you describe, in your post.How can i get in touch with W&C?

http://wickett-craig.com/index.html The sale is on at least until the end of January.

Leather from any company will be spongy if you cut it out of the flank or out of the belly. It has nothing to do with the way you are casing you leather.

Sounds like you are down the skin near the belly ,that will act like you describe, in your post.How can i get in touch with W&C?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that... I've also gotten some sides (from other tanneries) that were like that around the belly.

W&C's overstock sale is on until the 31st of January.

Kate

Thanks guys, that may be it Im about half way down the side. Maybe a little more.

I've had this happen a few times with nearly everyone's hides, The solution is vigorous glassing or slicking. This will compact the leather and improve tooling characteristics. It is done wet.

I use a Barry King glassing tool.

David Theobald