Sign in to follow this  
Hoyden

collars

I've haven't been on-line much since I got the artisan sewing machine and the embroidery machine, but I've been busy busy.

Here are some of the dog collars I've done recently;

1.5 black leather collar with 1001 rivets, lined with buff colored garmet leather

PICT1242-1.jpg

PICT1247-1.jpg

1.5 carved celtic collar (the brass rivets are missing in this picture - I put them in after I took it. They're in the spaces in either side of the D-ring)

PICT1252-1.jpg

PICT1257-1.jpg

1" The "brindle" collars (hate, Hate, HATE these - customer loves them though)

PICT1294-1.jpg

PICT1290-1.jpg

1.5" Plain ole Latigo collars with Stainless steel hardware

PICT1534-1.jpg

2" Latigo agitation collar with handle

PICT1553-1.jpg

PICT1554-1.jpg

The Latigo collars are pretty thick

PICT1535-1.jpg

BWT - my five year old daughter did the edges on these while she watched cartoons. Kid does a great job.

1.25" Another one of those friggin' ugly brindle collars that customers like and I HATE

PICT1542-1.jpg

1.5" Screw-up that I donated to a dog rescue. I didn't like the way that the leather looked after I the rivets.

PICT1284-1.jpg

3" collar tapered to 2" for a HUGE dog named Toro

PICT1678.jpg

PICT1679.jpg

Experiment gone wrong - but my husband thinks it's cool, so his dog wears it.

PICT1258-1.jpg

PICT1259-1.jpg

PICT1260-1.jpg

And last, but not least, a 1" english bridle leather collar that my five year old daughter made for Wallace the Pit Bull, Champion Frisbee Dog. We sponsor all his gear.

I measured and cut the strap for her, then punched the hole for the buckle tongue. She layed out a pattern with rivets and I measured and marked the holes on the strap for her. She punched all the holes for the rivets and the grommets, then set all the rivets herself. I went back and checked to make sure they were set right, then helped her set the grommets. I put in the hardware myself as I very anal about it for safety reasons.

PICT1243.jpg

PICT1237.jpg

Wallace in the collar Gremlin made him.

DSC_0005.jpg

Pretty good for a five year old kid, huh?

wow you have been buisy and what nice stuff i need to get one of those five year olds they could come in handy great work and what a good looking dog is it an american staford?

Hoyden,

Thanks for taking the time to snap all those pics and share them here. I've never done a dog collar, but seeing your work makes me interested in trying one. I love all of the different styles -- kudos to you for continuing to experiment, and not settling for one style you just mass-produce. Beautiful work... and beautiful dog, by the way. What a wonderful face!! :wub:

Best, -Alex

wow you have been buisy and what nice stuff i need to get one of those five year olds they could come in handy great work and what a good looking dog is it an american staford?

Nope, Wallace is an American Pit Bull Terrier that was slated to be euthanized but was rescued and is on his way to claiming another World Championship Title.

You can visit his site here: http://www.wallacethepitbull.com/

And read about how he went from death row to being a Champion here: http://www.wallacethepitbull.com/index2.html

Wallace is the 2006 Cynosport Flying Disc World Champion.

Wallace in action.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Edited by Hoyden

Don,

I'm not surprised that you thought that Wallace is a Staffordshire Terrier. The American Pit Bull is a direct decendant of the Staffordshires. The main difference is size.....as the American Pit Bull is considerably larger....and some would say more aggressive. My son owns a Pit Bull name Zoe and she is an absolute sweet heart. My feeling is that the aggression is due to nurture not nature.

Just my humble opinion

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Very nice work!!! Looking at your collars I would like make a dozen, although I have not a pretty dog like Wallace. Your collars seem as Loewe's belts for men, very fashion.

Great looking collars. I went to Wallace's web site. Awesome video. I agree with David, a particular breed of dog is not vicious, it is how that individual animal was raised. I have owned everything from Poodles to Rottweilers. It's how they are treated. Love your work. Great job by the 5 year old, too. How do you get the brindle look and why do you hate them so much?

Gremlin should be very proud of her leatherwork. I see you kept her busy burnishing too! I think it's great you have such an enthusiastic partner. You and Gremlin are sharing some special time- and it's true- they do grow up fast! One of mine was a baby just a short time ago, and now has an earpiece attached to a cord that runs somewhere in his pants doing I don't know what, and he doesn't talk much these days. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing the story about Wallace, too. I had three Rottweilers, and they were not the evil beasts people thought. However, I knew I was the safest woman in town at night in bed!

Nice work, Hoyden, keep tapping!

Johanna

Great looking collars. I went to Wallace's web site. Awesome video. I agree with David, a particular breed of dog is not vicious, it is how that individual animal was raised. I have owned everything from Poodles to Rottweilers. It's how they are treated. Love your work. Great job by the 5 year old, too. How do you get the brindle look and why do you hate them so much?

The brindle look is just a tiger kind of look, I use a swivel knife to cut in the stripes, then color the stripes one or two colors and the rest of the collar another color. I just think that they are ugly, personally. Too uniform and not natural looking to me. But some people like them, so I'm not going to argue.

Wallace is awesome and I love what Andrew is doing with him by competing and by being out spoken against breed specific legislation, so I put my money where my mouth is and keep Wallace in gear.

I have two pit bulls myself, my male dog, Petey is 9.5 years old, I've had him since he was 5-1/2 weeks old. He looks like Pete from the Little Rascals/ Our Gang. He is the best dog and smart too. You won't find another dog that pees on the toilet, answers the phone, opens doors by biting the door knob and turning his head and is vocal enough to communicate what he wants with various sounds.

We know the difference between his empty water bowl, gimme a treat, let me out, the brat is in the cookies and uh oh, you better come here sounds. I guess that makes us well trained, huh? :biggrin:

Birdie is my female, she is three years old. A beautiful seal colored dog with with a white blaze on her head and chest, and white feet. She is another story like Wallace. Slated to be put to sleep in the animal shelter, but rescued by a dog trainer. I adopted her from the dog trainer and she has been trained to be my service dog. Like Wallace, a high drive dog that needed a job.

Birdie has shown an amazing ability to predict the muscle spasms in my leg brought on by permanent nerve damage as well as pick out people with peripheral neuropathies and various forms of arthritis. My neurologist thinks she is a wonder dog. Needless to say, I rarely leave home with out her.

PICT0046.jpg

Petey

PICT0149.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

Birdie

Gremlin should be very proud of her leatherwork. I see you kept her busy burnishing too! I think it's great you have such an enthusiastic partner. You and Gremlin are sharing some special time- and it's true- they do grow up fast! One of mine was a baby just a short time ago, and now has an earpiece attached to a cord that runs somewhere in his pants doing I don't know what, and he doesn't talk much these days. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing the story about Wallace, too. I had three Rottweilers, and they were not the evil beasts people thought. However, I knew I was the safest woman in town at night in bed!

Nice work, Hoyden, keep tapping!

Johanna

Thanks Johanna. I have a 15 year old daughter that drives me nuts. She is a very talented musician and artist, so it's never a dull day in my house, that's for sure. Autumn draws and paints, plus there isn't an instrument she has picked up that she hasn't been able to learn and play well. Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple and Blackmore's Night has played with her and took us aside to tell us how talented she is and that she will go places with her music.

The Gremlin leans more towards doing the leather work I enjoy. She already has some of her own tools & stamps that she bought with money I've paid her for doing the edges on collars. The manager at Tandy Leather has given her quite a few tools when she showed him what she could do with them.

Luv your collars and luv the dogs too. We took our dogo/? mix to Do Dah Day in Birmingham, do it every year. He's Repo, a rescued dog too. It's an event where you can bring your dog or pet ( seen ocelots, pigs and snakes, but 99% dogs). Spent some time looking at collars/leashes and checked into getting a permit to sell. Said permit is $300 for 1 day. Seems a bit steep.

Keep up the great work and keep saving our dogs.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Hey there,great work!I like the red one... a little too large for the small neck of my dog ...

Wallace site is great too,just finish to look the story and some videos:Awesome Dog.

For all the rest just agree with all of you: "there is No bad dog,just bad owner"...

I see you've got some "stupid" laws too:BSL...I've got a American Staffordshire terrier and she's great...

My avatar is my first dog also an Amstaff,dead too early 6,5 years old...I still miss him.

Anyway;keep working and keep all the hands working.

Thank you Alexblow.

These are just the big collars, I've done quite a few for little dogs too, but they tend to be a bit foofy.