esantoro

Leatherworking team over at Etsy

Just got an email today from an artisan over at Etsy.com. She wants to start up a leatherworking team over at Etsy.com. I told her about our little community. If she's not already aware of us, she should be here soon.

Ed

I've sold a few pieces on Etsy. It's kind of neat. As a matter of fact, I was hoping I had the place all to myself...lol. It's quite user friendly, and the people are nice, like here. There is a big "Green" factor going on there, with recycled leather being a hot item

There is a big social networking aspect to it, also, but I haven't participated too much on that part. Between this forum and other sites like etsy, you could spend all day on the computer instead of working in the shop...lol.

But I would be interested in hearing more about her group. I really do want to avoid sites like ebay, and amazon.

Someday leatherworker.net might get recognized as THE source for leatherworking, and sales can be made through here.

I do need to take better pictures for etsy, when I do show good pix, it gets a good response. Maybe after my big projects, I'll pay attention. shhhhh!

There is a big "Green" factor going on there, with recycled leather being a hot item

I guess everything I do has a"Green" factor. All the leather I use is recycled since none of them cows are killed for their hide, they are killed for their meat, the hide is just a byproduct, now that the cow ain't using the hide anymore and I am, that would be considered recycling wouldn't it.

After all, I am a vegetarian which is "Green". Cattle are vegetarians and I eat cattle so I am must be a vegetarian also. When you think of it, I am recycling cows when I eat them also. I never realized I was so "Green" until now.:lol::lol::lol:

Just got an email today from an artisan over at Etsy.com. She wants to start up a leatherworking team over at Etsy.com.

I'd be curious to hear what she's proposing...

I'd be curious to hear what she's proposing...

My guess is that she wants to do much of what we do here, but with the added benefit that with Etsy, we would also have individual as well as a community store.

I think the networking system we have here is better than the technology over at Etsy, but Etsy already has the online distribution set up.

Ed

I'll keep an eye on this one, my wife already has a site there, she's House Shoe Mama. Check out her page it explains the name : ) http://www.houseshoemamas.com/

Someday leatherworker.net might get recognized as THE source for leatherworking, and sales can be made through here.

Careful -

I've only been here less than 6 weeks and the mojo from this board has me thinking I can actually make everything I see. :youwish:

Don't want to have customers showing up and leaving with some dead cow and tools.... :(

Crystal

:)

Edited by Crystal

A friend sent me this link the other day and I read through the site, laughing the whole way.

http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/aggression.html

I don't think LW is ever going to evolve into a store, but I'd like to see a gallery here that directs interested customer and buyers to the appropriate websites of people who can help them. You would not believe the mail I get asking for help to find items and supplies!

I would be happy to discuss ways to partner with reputable sites like etsy to help leatherworkers and customers hook up. That was one of the original goals of LW, a legacy of when I had a shop (pre-internet) and some weeks we were flush, and others we were broke. It would be great to use the power of the internet to help people spend money with member leatherworkers- then you guys will all get rich and famous and will remember LW, right? :)

Johanna

I sure would not like to see LW.net evolve into some store front. That would take all the appeal out for me. This is a meeting place for folks of many skills. Everyone has their reason to WORK leather Those here work for personal enjoyment even though it may be their source of livelihood, extra income, or hobby. For those of us that sell some or all of what we make there are many avenues. I wish that LW.net would stay the pure helpful meeting place of leather artists and a place to show all skill levels from expert to growing newcommer. If you so choose, let etsy, other web sites, brick & mortar stores, and craft/art/gun/horse shows be the sales area. Keep LW.net as great as the early formers like Clay, Bruce, Kate, Johanna and others along with hundreds of participants have made it.

my 2c,

Regis

Edited by Regis

While I think etsy is great, I like LW the way it is. I wouldn't want to see it become a storefront - it's more like the breakroom, for me, where I hang out with my friends : )

~Tammy

Edited by TCLeathercraft

We're not going to have a storefront! But I can see a page on the front of the site that lets a potential customer visit the sites of leatherworkers who can make or repair what they are looking for . I want to break the long list I have into some general categories, and then John Q. Public can browse the links for leatherworkers in business who can be contacted for purses, belts, saddles, armor, fireman suspenders or what have you. Number one, it might help some of you folks get some extra business. Two, it will help your site and LW in Google's rankings. Three, it will be easy for me to point people there when they ask me who can make a belt (or something else) for them. What can I say? I can't tell them "Call Moe, Curly or Larry", and not mention Tom, Dick and Harry, or the other 500 people who could do what they want. I don't want to say, "His work is the best, he's too expensive, he's good with scrolls-lousy with snaps..." etc. I'd rather say, "Look here to get some ideas!" Then it is up to the customer to decide from his options and contact that person directly. It's up to you guys to make your site represent you and your work in a way that will attract the business you want.

And we appreciate the kind words about this site. We try hard to make it a place you will want to visit and participate in. I think of it as being like the back table in my old store, where people wandered in and out all day, drank coffee and swapped stories. We want to maintain that friendly atmosphere, where people can show off or get help, and everyone feels like they were among friends. Many of you have told us that this site feels like "home". That makes all of the work worth it to me- that you folks are getting something useful out of this site, and having a good time. If LW can help your business get more attention- that's a bonus. I hate to hear when a leatherworker has to hang up his hammer and get a day job.

Johanna

Johanna,

It does seem like such a front page would be a good idea, for all the reasons you indicated.

Don't mind me, I'm just exhibiting 'vegetarian aggression' : ) That article was funny!

~Tammy

i've been thinking about making an etsy site, however i'm not sure how well my stuff would sell there as it tends to cost a lot more than the $5 goco cards i usually see selling. I don't think we should become a storefront as it'd just be counter productive: we all make leather goods, it'd be like car salesmen selling to each other lol. But teaming up with -or- getting a link on etsy would allow us to go over there and maybe get more exposure, sell more if you will.

granted, i havent really looked into etsy all that much, i visit poppytalk.blogspot.com daily though and they love etsy

i've been thinking about making an etsy site, however i'm not sure how well my stuff would sell there as it tends to cost a lot more than the $5 goco cards i usually see selling. I don't think we should become a storefront as it'd just be counter productive: we all make leather goods, it'd be like car salesmen selling to each other lol. But teaming up with -or- getting a link on etsy would allow us to go over there and maybe get more exposure, sell more if you will.

granted, i havent really looked into etsy all that much, i visit poppytalk.blogspot.com daily though and they love etsy

I think quality leather goods have a better chance selling for what they are worth on Etsy than on Ebay. You pay your twenty cents and your listing is up for four months. When it sells, Etsy gets a commission of about four percent.

Because of the way Etsy lists your item, it pays more than it does on Ebay, to my mind, to put time into taking good pictures.

ed

I think quality leather goods have a better chance selling for what they are worth on Etsy than on Ebay. You pay your twenty cents and your listing is up for four months. When it sells, Etsy gets a commission of about four percent.

Because of the way Etsy lists your item, it pays more than it does on Ebay, to my mind, to put time into taking good pictures.

ed

i dont sell on ebay though, you do? stuff would sell way beter on etsy, i dont think i would ever sell on ebay

i dont sell on ebay though, you do? stuff would sell way beter on etsy, i dont think i would ever sell on ebay

Ebay has turned into a good advertising vehicle.

Ebay has turned into a good advertising vehicle.

ahh. when i painted guitars in highschool i would just post pictures of them on craigslist all over the country, like bait even if i didnt have one to sell. then someone without fail would email me with "you know, i'm not interested in the one you're selling, but i really want a clapton relic, could you do that?" ad i'd do it. made me desent money as a 17 year old haha

My 2 cents...

I opened an Etsy shop last November and I've been very pleased with the results.

I had an eBay store which was not successful so I shut it down and moved to Etsy.

Etsy is dominated by thousands of people selling Jewlry,

so I believe that people selling quality handmade leather goods do stand out.

Stylistically, Etsy skews toward the urban hipster so items that appeal to this sort of person

have the best chances of selling.

Here's my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5430058

As far as selling on Ebay, I do. It is a lot like fishing. Sometimes you catch something, and sometimes you dont.

What I did start doing is adding a link to my site, which allows the people browsing to see my other work, and then hopefully order something else. I have had a lot of hits on my site, but the actual Ebay sale is a crapshoot.

DM

Another site like Etsy is

http://www.madeitmyself.com

They are still very new and I joined them before I knew about Etsy. I am gunna stay there for a while and see what happens ...

Another site like Etsy is

http://www.madeitmyself.com

They are still very new and I joined them before I knew about Etsy. I am gunna stay there for a while and see what happens ...

I can't search there unless I sign up. Off-putting right out the gate.

I typed in "leather" in their search bar and items came up with no prob. maybe they were having a glitch when you tried?

I used to be a die-hard eBayer...I started my biz on eBay! I was the only show in town offering a good selection of a specific line of tack on eBay. But as time went on, other sellers jumped on my bandwagon and flooded the market with this tack. There were too many sellers and not enough buyers. It turned into a price war and I wasn't going to give my inventory away so I focused my attention on getting a fully functional shopping cart system on my website. After implementing the shopping cart, my website sales were going good and it was nothing but crickets chirping in my eBay store, so I shut it down. I've been away from eBay for a couple years. Been keeping tabs on my former categories over there for the last few months. My competition has all moved on as well, but even so, I don't see that sales in that niche have recovered yet. I'm planning to use eBay to move old stock, but that's about it.