ShortBBL

How Do I Not Do This!? My Boner Don't Work!

Help.... I am trying (my first attempt) to wet form a piece of leather. I think I just let it get too wet and maybe should have let it dry out a bit, but any help is much appreciated!! You can see in the picture how messed up the boner got this piece of leather. I am trying to form it around a Surefire light....

33wwjyt.jpg

What am I doing wrong? I obviously need help learning to bone properly.

helpsmilie.gif

How Do I Not Do This!? My Boner Don't Work! :jawdropper::rofl:

What kind of leather is that?

Kate

Kate:

That would be Wicket & Craig 7/8 English Bridle drum dyed.

How Do I Not Do This!? My Boner Don't Work! :jawdropper::rofl:

I was thinking it belonged in the "Adult section" myself......grins and giggles :innocent::rofl:

Kate:

That would be Wicket & Craig 7/8 English Bridle drum dyed.

You might try starting off with strap, tooling, or skirting leather as these are dry leathers that have not been oiled at the tanner, this is the type of leather we use to wet form. There has been much written on this forum about casing leather before forming to shape, you might check that out. Most true bridle leather has to high a oil and tallow content to wet form. Good luck!!! Sorry I can't help with your bone problem.

Edited by horsewreck

You might try starting off with strap, tooling, or skirting leather as these are dry leathers that have not been oiled at the tanner, this is the type of leather we use to wet form. There has been much written on this forum about casing leather before forming to shape, you might check that out. Most true bridle leather has to high a oil and tallow content to wet form. Good luck!!! Sorry I can't help with your bone problem.

Thanks. I was wondering if I was using the wrong leather. Ouch... I only bought TWO sides of it! ha ha ha Ok.... I can still use it for other stuff like sheaths that are not boned.

As for my Boner.... turns out it works awesome...... eusa_naughty.gif

Fortunately, I came to the correct conclusion that you were actually referring to your bone folder tool, and not your... never mind. :whistle:

I agree with Jeff, I think the grain of the leather you're using may not be the most suitable for wet molding.

Kate

There's a pill for it.

Fortunately, I came to the correct conclusion that you were actually referring to your bone folder tool, and not your... never mind. whistle.gif

I agree with Jeff, I think the grain of the leather you're using may not be the most suitable for wet molding.

Kate

My wife says my censored2.gif works perfectly fine. But I am not so sure..... did you see how it marked up that leather. It looks like it was hittin it pretty dang hard! rolleyes2.gif

Yeah I guess the leather is wrong for this task. The description says" Drum-dyed, full grain, lightly hot stuffed with an extra tallow top dressing. "

So I should get some unfinished Hermann Oak Tooling leather? Who has the best price on this stuff? I've only bought the Wickett & Craig leather so far.

Thanks! <BR soft>

There's a pill for it.

I don't know that my censored2.gif could actually swallow!? google0dw.gif though.

Yeah I guess the leather is wrong for this task. The description says" Drum-dyed, full grain, lightly hot stuffed with an extra tallow top dressing. "

So I should get some unfinished Hermann Oak Tooling leather? Who has the best price on this stuff? I've only bought the Wickett & Craig leather so far.

Wickett & Craig also makes veg tan tooling leather that has excellent wet molding properties. There are several places you can get Hermann Oak - I think Springfield leather will let you buy a cut off a side if you don't want to buy an entire side. RJF Leather Co. carries Thoroughbred leather in a natural veg-tan that also has good molding properties.

Kate

Wickett & Craig also makes veg tan tooling leather that has excellent wet molding properties. There are several places you can get Hermann Oak - I think Springfield leather will let you buy a cut off a side if you don't want to buy an entire side. RJF Leather Co. carries Thoroughbred leather in a natural veg-tan that also has good molding properties.

Kate

Thanks Kate! I'll probably stick with W&C for now, they treated me right on the first order and shipped what I asked for.... I should have mentioned I wanted to wet mold some stuff too.... I'm sure I would have been schooled on what I was buying in that case.

helpsmilie.gif

This is way too funny, "my boner don't work" I need help..... LOL

this belongs in the adults only section...:censored2::evillaugh::youwish:

helpsmilie.gif

This is way too funny, "my boner don't work" I need help..... LOL

this belongs in the adults only section...censored2.gifevillaugh.gifyouwish.gif

Wait.... we have an adults only section here???? Where? red_bandana.gif

Wait.... we have an adults only section here???? Where? red_bandana.gif

PM Johanna to request access.

Kate

I'm just really impressed that you can slap hard, wet, leather with it.

popcorn.gif

(quietly enjoying this thread before it gets banished to the Adult section...)

I'm just really impressed that you can slap hard, wet, leather with it.

A good Boner is capable of more than one task. innocent.gif