Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Dyeing Ostrich

Has anyone tried dyeing ostrich black after its already been dyed?

I think they are chrome tanned right, or similer. Dont think they will take to dying very well but I have not tried it.

I tried some yellow-ish (pre dyed) ostrich with oxblood red. It didn't take the red very deeply but gave a nice sunset color to it. The quill(holes) did take it and I had a sunset piece with little red dots on it. Actually it was a nice effect.

Let us know how the black comes out

pete

just strip off with deglazer,put 3 coats of feibings pro dye one right after the other let dry over night wipe down with a clean cloth then spray 2 to 3 light coats of nu-life color spray ,let dry over night then final thing put leather balm and buff to a good shine ,thats the way ive done it and always had good results. you might try a small piece if your not totally sure,good luck

just strip off with deglazer,put 3 coats of feibings pro dye one right after the other let dry over night wipe down with a clean cloth then spray 2 to 3 light coats of nu-life color spray ,let dry over night then final thing put leather balm and buff to a good shine ,thats the way ive done it and always had good results. you might try a small piece if your not totally sure,good luck

Thanks Pancho, I'll try it like that

I agree with Pancho, and have re-dyed ostrich scraps for holster trim. Ostrich is an oily leather so be sure to buff off any excess dye really well. The first time I tried it I did not think I would ever buff out the excess. I did not use the nu-life spray which may be the key. Thanks for the advice Pancho.

Carl

also Carl i use feibings pro oil dye ,it doesnt leave as much excess to wipe off as regular feibings dye.thanks

rickey ,don't know if you have alrady done it. what I would do is to strip it with acetone or the deglazer and then place it in a large zip lock and put the black dye in that and let is set overnight to make sure it hase covered the whole piece. I move it around a little in the bag and turn it several times to insure a even coating. It has worked for me on several projects. hope it helped . Gary

rickey ,don't know if you have alrady done it. what I would do is to strip it with acetone or the deglazer and then place it in a large zip lock and put the black dye in that and let is set overnight to make sure it hase covered the whole piece. I move it around a little in the bag and turn it several times to insure a even coating. It has worked for me on several projects. hope it helped . Gary

Thanks Gary, thats exactly what I did do and it worked fine.