ClayB

upcoming contest

Paul Zalesak at Leather Wranglers is sponsoring a contest! I posted the details to the calendar here on Leatherworker, but am posting it here too to give it more exposure. Click here to find out more.

Clay,

Is this a carve-on-site contest, or can entries be mailed in to the address in the header? I'm asking because probably most of us can't actually be on location.

I'm not sure. From reading this part

"Complete entry section (below) with your full contact information and submit to Leather Wranglers with your carving."

I assume you can mail the entry. I'm going to make sure Paul knows about this topic and hope he will answer any questions.

That's a very good question and the answer is Yes! you can send us your entries and they will be on display for public judging at the Wickenburg show.

We will add wording to the entry form for those that want to submit by mail... to make sure you get your entries to Leather Wranglers by no later than March 5, 2009.

Thank you for your interest and we're looking forward to providing another fun opportunity.

Meanwhile... keep on carving!

PZ

Are the 3 additional tools listed, there as a suggestion, or are we limited only to those 3 additional tools.

Edited by The Major

Major,

The 3 tools listed are the only 3 that can be used to enhance your swivel knife carving or what most call "finger cut" design. The idea is to make a piece of art using primarily your swivel knife and your creativity. For examples and ideas you can view the previous contest results at: http://www.leatherwranglers.com/contest.html .

THANKS,

PZ

Next question....Do the three additional tools -specific stamps in this case- have to be used as intended (stock stamps, no special modifications)? I ask because us poor folk tend to be quite creative when we need something we don't have. If need be, I could video myself making it to provide 'proof of concept'.

I think I'll play. ( Just so long as Crystal doesn't drop any BOMBs like she did for the August challenge. :rolleyes2: )

Mike, you can use the beveler, mule track or crowner, and veiner any way you wish. Again, the idea is so you can be as creative as you can with your swivel knife. The cuts should be the dominant feature of your final entry piece(s) and the tools can be used to bring out your finger-cut artistry. The other three tools are optional - swivel knife is the primary tool. You can make your own beveler, crowner, or veiner if you wish, just as long as they resemble a comparable, traditional tool of the same type.

Thanks,

PZ

Sounds fun!.....I'm in!

well I am going to give it a go for the fun of it if nothing else.

josh

She does have a habit of that. You know she will too. Best be prepared and just give it your extra-best shot!

Brent

I think I'll play. ( Just so long as Crystal doesn't drop any BOMBs like she did for the August challenge. :rolleyes2: )

Next question....Do the three additional tools -specific stamps in this case- have to be used as intended (stock stamps, no special modifications)? I ask because us poor folk tend to be quite creative when we need something we don't have. If need be, I could video myself making it to provide 'proof of concept'.

Mike - there were some things involved in that challenge that you are not aware of.

There was a rabbit and a hat and a blue moon. I checked the lunar calendar and there isn't a blue moon scheduled anytime soon. I have seen neither hat nor hare since. I don't miss the hat, but I think I need to look for the rabbit. I hope it hasn't died.

Crystal

Edited by Crystal

So you're saying that Harvey carved that for you?

Great. I feel lots better now knowing that I'll be in competition with hundreds (or thousands) of other leatherworkers, but now you throw in mythylogical creatures? Sheesh, how does one compete?

That's a very good question and the answer is Yes! you can send us your entries and they will be on display for public judging at the Wickenburg show.

We will add wording to the entry form for those that want to submit by mail... to make sure you get your entries to Leather Wranglers by no later than March 5, 2009.

Thank you for your interest and we're looking forward to providing another fun opportunity.

Meanwhile... keep on carving!

PZ

Hey I was wondering I understand that you use just one dye color if you want, can we still oil and seal our work as long as its not another color like antique or something. So can I dye it, oil it, then apply some tan kote or similer to seal it up. Just wanna make sure I dont disqualify myself (I would rather get knocked out by all the other leather working pro's from around here).

MadMax22,

Yes, oiling and sealing it is fine. The limitation to just one color is so that it keeps it simple and people don't go way over and take away from the beauty and simplicity of their swivel cut design. This is an exercise in swivel knife artistry. You can also seal it first to act as a resist/blocker and then apply the antique etc. over the resist to get into the cuts and bring them out...just limit it to one color over the entire design.

Thanks, keep the questions coming, we are learning a lot as well.

PZ

Dear All Y'all... Since posting this announcement there has been a large number of PMs expressing interest in the contest and clarification of the rules. We have added a cover letter to clarify and simplify the contest entry rules. :taptap: We thought this would be much easier and beneficial to those entering their work rather than doing a FAQs/Answer routine. There really are no changes to the rules, only clearer explanations. So, please re-visit them and let others know so we're all on the same page and there are no misunderstandings. http://www.leatherwranglers.com/docs/Conte...s_EntryInfo.pdf

Let's have fun with this and keep on carving!

PZ :thumbsup: