Windom Leather

Another project by wifes request

This project was also at the request of my wife. Its a bottle holder that you can hang from the horn of your saddle and have you drink right there. I made it large enough to hold a 20 oz gatorade bottle, so your beer, soda, and water bottle will also fit. I used 8/9 and used a wildrose pattern for the tooling. my wife Kathie has her name and our ranch logo on it and our daughter just has her name, the third one I made to use as a sales sample and also has the wild rose pattern. The patterns are all slightly different as I incorporated the rose pattern around the lettering. Hope you like and would like to hear what you think. Now my question to you, How much do you think these are worth or how much would you sell one for?

100_3026.JPG

post-11125-1249581542_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwranch

Good idea and nice clean carving. Sure she will like them.

I think that is a good Idea but I dont see where they atatch to the saddle? I like the general idea however I would try to add a little more depth to your tooling.

Just my two cents take it for what its worth.

Tim

TK-leather

It looks like like it will attach to the horn via the leather strap that is near the top of the lacing. I like the idea. Sorry but no ideal on what you should charge for them - but they are nice

This project was also at the request of my wife. Its a bottle holder that you can hang from the horn of your saddle and have you drink right there. I made it large enough to hold a 20 oz gatorade bottle, so your beer, soda, and water bottle will also fit. I used 8/9 and used a wildrose pattern for the tooling. my wife Kathie has her name and our ranch logo on it and our daughter just has her name, the third one I made to use as a sales sample and also has the wild rose pattern. The patterns are all slightly different as I incorporated the rose pattern around the lettering. Hope you like and would like to hear what you think. Now my question to you, How much do you think these are worth or how much would you sell one for?

100_3026.JPG

KWRANCH:

Fantastic concept - How about lining that thing with some neoprene or something to keep that gatorade cool? I have had horn bags that lend stability by having a wider attachment piece to the horn. Always thought a dee ring & leather lace at the bottom that could clip into either a breast collar clip or rigging would also keep that beverage from getting flopped around.

As far as selling price, please factor in your time. Is it a piece of art or a paycheck or something in between? I'd give $15 bucks for one and wouldn't care if it had tooling!

Hope this helps!

Thank you all for your input. I have the lace tucked down inside for the picture. I used 1/8" suede lace I had on hand for the lanyard. the bottom has a 3/4" hole in it to allow dirt and liquid to drain out of if it gets in there. I took the "doughnut hole" from that and punched 2 1/8" holes in it and put that on the lanyard so when you put it over the horn you can slide that piece up and will secure it to the saddle. My only concern with using 1/8" lace is, is it going to be strong enough over time to hold up?

I have thought about insulating it (after I built these). I thought about using 1/4" foam and using like a thin pig skin liner. I like the idea of the neoprene, it will keep the bulkiness down a bit.

As far as them flopping around. They actually sit really nice and dont move all that much. With the gatorade in them, its a snug fit, so when you want a drink you just pull it off the horn and have a swallow.

Will

Edited by kwranch

those are cool great tooling

David

I do not ride horse but I do a lot of hiking, a version that hook on a belt would be more usefull to me

I'd give $15 bucks for one and wouldn't care if it had tooling!

If I see something similair in a expo, I'll probably think:

''Now, thats a good idea it look like a strait forward project''

But with nice tooling, I might decide to buy insted of trying.

I've seen finished, drinkable mugs being sold for $50+ at festivals. Even though these are just to hold a bottle or cup I could see you realistically asking $25- $30 for one. I would, especially since they're hand tooled. But that's just me speaking out of my rear end:)

Nice Idea, only thing I see is the straps for hanging on the saddle horn need to be much more substantial. From my experience, light duty 1/8 inch leather lace will last about long enough to get your thirst started and break spilling your drink five feet lower on the ground. I would suggest the smallest size strap should be about the same as a quality saddle string, either solid or braided. I have had radios, binoculars and cameras dumped on the gound using saddle string sized material, but then when needing to ride at a gallop alot of stuff flies off, some of it to never be seen again. :)