Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

Some new bosals

Been kinda of quiet around here lately, thought I would post up some recent stuff. I would appreciate any critiques you may have.

Thank you,

Rob Gerbitz

7_bosal.JPG 8_bosal.JPG 10_bosal.JPG

post-5521-1226863389_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1226863409_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1226863430_thumb.jpg

Great job Rob. How long does it take to make one like the last two photos?

Art

Those are great. I was just doing research on how to make a bosal.

Can deer rawhide be used with success? It seems like the splitters/bevelers are a bit pricey at $400 dollars. Is latigo ok around a stiff rope core? Is latigo the same as redhide?

Thanks for the answers

PS really impressed with the talent around here.

Rob

Great looking work my friend!! I really like the last two. How did ya do the interweave on the middle one? Thanks alot for posting as it was a long run with nobody showing any work. Hopefully I can get back after it pretty soon before I forget everything.

Mike

Thank you all for your comments.

Art S

It takes me about a week to two weeks to make them. I work on them maybe 3-4 hours every couple of days or so.

Okiwen

I have tried deerhide and have found it to be to thin and brittle to be able to work with for braiding very well. That was some that I had made myself there maybe a better way of making than what I had done, but I will not be using again anytime soon. From what I have heard redhide and latigo are the same thing. You can braid around just about anything you would like, I have been using rawhide cores more for the sake of tradition than for any other reason. And if you look around you can find some splitters and cutters for alot less. It doesn't need to be fancy so long as your blades are sharp and your moisture is right. Feel free to ask more if any of this is unclear.

Rawhide1

The middle nosebutton was really all one big mistake. I had miscalculated the width of the string and originally did not make them wide enough to cover. Then when I turned back at the ends I wanted a herringbone look but ended up with a guacho weave instead, so I just went with it. I had enough length to turn back again and make the whole works o3,u3. the middle weave is o4,u4 I used seperate strings to make it, I couldn't figure out how to weave one string through it all. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work.

Thank you all again,

Rob

Very nice. You have way too much talent. Do you want to share some of it?

Sharing the photos have definitely helped.

Thanks,

Butch

Butch, I'll share what I have and be happy for the opportunity to do so.

Rob