leatheroo

Barry King tools

i have read with interest the glowing comments about the barry king tools and decided that i should invest in some new tools..i googled him and came up with montana leather..i chose 5 tools bevelers etc and clicked checkout and the total came to $90 which i thought was OK..THEN i had to put in to send them..Australia...and the total for deliver came to $108 making the total for 5 little tools nearly $200. I have had deliveries from the US before and know that is way way way beyond what it would cost them to send these tools to me. Does anyone have any suggestions...i know barry's address and phone number has been listed but he doesnt have a website..should i call him direct?

i have read with interest the glowing comments about the barry king tools and decided that i should invest in some new tools..i googled him and came up with montana leather..i chose 5 tools bevelers etc and clicked checkout and the total came to $90 which i thought was OK..THEN i had to put in to send them..Australia...and the total for deliver came to $108 making the total for 5 little tools nearly $200. I have had deliveries from the US before and know that is way way way beyond what it would cost them to send these tools to me. Does anyone have any suggestions...i know barry's address and phone number has been listed but he doesnt have a website..should i call him direct?

Yes, give him a call he is really nice to deal with. I have done business with him for years, most of the time when you call he answers the phone. It's a small machine shop type business. He will treat you right.

Randy

If you don't get a break when you call him directly, I will order the tools and ship them to you. That's way too much money for a small package, even if it needs to go to the other side of the world. Let me know if I can help.

Johanna

I suspect that the program for shipping only checks the most common method within the US, and when you start shipping overseas by that method things get very expensive. I am sure that if you contact people directly they can figure out other shipping methods that are cheaper. Where there's a will there's a way.

thanks guys, i called him direct, and he answered the phone himself...very nice to deal with, put in my order and gave him my credit card details and the tools are on the way...yeah!!!

I suspect that the program for shipping only checks the most common method within the US, and when you start shipping overseas by that method things get very expensive. I am sure that if you contact people directly they can figure out other shipping methods that are cheaper. Where there's a will there's a way.

My guess is they normally use UPS. The USPS is waaaaay less expensive to ship overseas.

fyi... i shipped three tools in a padded envelope to austalia last week for $5.40 (USD)

Hi roo,

I get vet meds from OZ and it doesn't cost anywhere near that to ship. The cost to ship was comparable to here, $10 for a 12"x6"x1" package. It took about a week.

Art

Things have change regarding postage from the USA. Some time early last year USPS decided that there would not longer be surface mail to australia, there is now only airmail. 2 years ago I posted boxes of stuff weighing around 30lb each from the USA back to Austrlia for around US$80 each. they took about 9 or 10 weeks to get to here, but that was OK. Last May I went to do the same thing, and oh no, no more surface mail it will now cost me over US$200 for each 30 pound package, but it will get here in 10 days. For my purposes I'd prefer longer delivery, cheaper rate. UPS, DHL quoted heaps more. What is going on and why? anyone got any better ideas for reasonable freight to Aus?

dam

Things have change regarding postage from the USA. Some time early last year USPS decided that there would not longer be surface mail to australia, there is now only airmail. 2 years ago I posted boxes of stuff weighing around 30lb each from the USA back to Austrlia for around US$80 each. they took about 9 or 10 weeks to get to here, but that was OK. Last May I went to do the same thing, and oh no, no more surface mail it will now cost me over US$200 for each 30 pound package, but it will get here in 10 days. For my purposes I'd prefer longer delivery, cheaper rate. UPS, DHL quoted heaps more. What is going on and why? anyone got any better ideas for reasonable freight to Aus?

dam

You need to be careful buying things on Ebay too. Some things I've bought and paid what I think is expensive postage but because the seller says it's correct I've paid it, only to find when it arrives the actual postage was half of what I paid. If I sell anything I take it to the post office and get a quote and that is what I charge the buyer! You can't take notice of what some pc generated costs to a destination tells you or use guess work. Postage ripoffs turn buyers away. I bought a splitter from Campbell Bosworth at Christmas time and the postage was $47.00 Prority, which I thought was ok and I think it weighed 15 pounds.

GREED. The shipping and postage portion of the ebay thing is a dirty little secret they don't mention to often, unscrupulous vendors can and do charge whatever they can get away with.

I have to agree with ya'll on the shipping costs. I bought some stuff off of ebay one time and called the guy on his shipping charge. He informed me he had to figure in his time for putting it inthe box ,the cost of the box, and taking it to wherever to be shipped. Lets just say I will not buy from him again. I don't mind paying all actual expensenses but give me a break charging to put it in a box and dropping it off!! Hell it's a 20 mile round trip for me to go to town and come back. But I'm generally make it to town once a day anyway so i'll mail it then. Anyway I think people try to get every cent they can which in turns runs people off. My .02cents

Mike

hate to hijack a thread but... ebay is actually starting to come down hard on the people who charge outrageous amounts for shipping finally. I've bought a good bit on ebay (and always checked the shipping price before bidding) and sold a lot too and always charged fairly, even losing out of my own pocket at times. for anyone who ships through usps and doesn't know, you can go to their website and get most of the boxes for free including delivery of them. that, of course, doesn't include packing material which can get expensive for things like peanuts or actual packing paper. a good way to get stuff like that for free though (including larger boxes) is visit your local comic book shops on shipment day which is wednesdays. most shops toss out the boxes, packing paper, peanuts and stiff dividers.