Need a little help here, please. I've been asked to make the buckle pictured below for one of the characters in the upcoming Star Wars movie. My question is how to do the raised "bumps" around the edge of the buckle to give it some depth?

StarWarsBuckle.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

If you mean the lighter colored bumps, I think those are stitches of a thread lighter than the stain. If you mean on the leather itself, that's a background tool you'd want. There are a variety, I get mine from Tandy personally.

I am referring to the bumps surrounding the edge of the buckle. Those are raised distinctively from the rest of the leather.

Looks like you could use a seeder tool....can't tell from the blurry pic

I apologize for the quality of the picture, or the lack thereof. This was the best shot out of all the ones sent to me.

From what I can see it looks like a seeder. Also looks like it was backgrounded everywhere else except for the center design and the three little designs around that. Its hard with that pic though

In this picture for me it looks like polished (better: used) metal like brass, copper or so. I agree you could do this using a Seeder and beveling the edges. But you should keep the colour in mind when you´re finish it. You should try to achieve this metal-look.

my 2ct

p.s. ever thougt about using little rivets?

Edited by Aulus

Wouldn't a seeder make a round depression?

Perhaps Barry King, or one of the other tool makers, could make something, .

SkipJ

what char was this on - maybe one of the google-fu experts can find a better pic of it.....

I might not be seeing right, but they look like SPOTS to me. I am not sure if Tandy makes them that small though. Might be worth checking out.

Here's the pic cleaned up a bit - IMO the "bumps" are not leather, but are either 1/8" brass spots (Standard Rivet sells them) or small brass or copper beads sewn around the edge - by the way the shadows look I'm inclined to think beads - www.crazycrow.com sells them

StarWarsBuckle.jpg

I used the beads on this holster along the top edge at a wider spacing, but you can compare...

bell-holster-1.jpg