DelNeroDesigns

Does anyone else do leather in SoCal?

Hi to All,

I am new to leather working. Spent years in the Fashion industry working on sportswear. Dabbled with repairing Dooney bourke handbags..recoloring re-edging. I was inspired by my Friesian to design costume bridles. My goal is to make it to the silver screen.. I am interested in doing (Armor) leather plates similar to the metal ones of old. Does anyone know how to create blocks for pressing designs into wet leather? I have done linoleum block carving in design school to create repeats on fabric..Could a linoleum block be made to press leather? I guess I'm looking for a short cut to tracing and tooling. I imagine such a block would require hand fine tuning. I've dabbled with drawing my designs on computer then printing it out and tacking the design on the leather with spray adhesive and tooling right on the paper (no tracing) upside..no cut lines to tell where your toolings off..downside images requires a second go round to get a crisp edge.

Tineke_celtic_shield_1xxx.jpg

post-5896-1202450415_thumb.jpg

DelNeroDesigns,

I live in L.A. and I have been playing around with some shortcuts too. Although I love to draw I usually do my own designs directly on the leather with a stylus. But in the cases that I don't have my own design I either trace the pic to the leather the old fashion way or I draw it on Illustrator and have a plotter draw it on a piece of leather covered with a clear plastic. That cheat only works on some stuff.

I hope this helps in opening ideas and options. Let me know if you want to get together on a project.

This was done in the cheat fashion but I still had to cut it and tool it after. But the drawing was on the leather by plotting.

2_Hynas.jpg

post-5519-1202451526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spider

your friesian looks so wild lol welcome to the group youll learn lots. realy like your headstalls good luck.

Hi DND welcome to the forum, Don

Well I am in SoCal (Oceanside) but I would more say I want to do leather than I do. :) I have been working on learning to braid a bit and making some rope halters for my horses. I am planning to buy a leather craft starter kit RSN (real soon now) so I can try my hand at making more tack and maybe some belts, spur straps...

Would really love to learn to make saddles at some point.

Mike

PS Nice look horse by the way.

I live in Reseda, CA and work at Artisan Sewing Supplies in Commerce, CA. I also belong to The Leathercraft Guild that will be meeting on the 17th at Standing Bears Trading Post if you would like to come visit. Call 818-342-9120 ask for Wayne about the time. Make sure to tell him Anne mentioned the group if you do.

I'm in Orange County (Orange). Where are you??

I may move back to so cal. I'm from Simi Valley in Ventura County.

NYC has been a love hate relationship: love the place, the dynamic, the energy, the inspiration, hate the cost of living.

Ed

Northern San Diego County.. Ramona to be exact

I also lived in San Diego for about nine years.

Northern San Diego County.. Ramona to be exact

I love Ramona, I just hate getting to or from there. :) I think that is likely what makes the place so nice though.

Mike