Here's a ladies purse I have just completed.

The purse body is made with garment goatskin and 2/3 oz veg tan. The closure clasp has a stingray inlay and the lid is crocodile. The body is all laced together using kangaroo lace and the lid is laced to the body using goatskin lace.

The lining is made from pigskin suede and laced together using cowhide suede. There is a pocket for a wallet as well as a cell phone attached via lace to the lining.

The handle is made from 2/3 oz veg tan folded over and laced together with kangaroo lace.

Hope you all like it, any questions or critiques are gladly welcomed.

post-1605-0-60540500-1353638997_thumb.jp

post-1605-0-02394800-1353639008_thumb.jp

post-1605-0-01713700-1353639018_thumb.jp

post-1605-0-85599300-1353639025_thumb.jp

post-1605-0-11611600-1353639037_thumb.jp

Very nice design and workmanship.

Edited by JustKate

Now that's a bag I like, really nice work on it :notworthy:

Exquisite work!

Thank you Kate, Tina and Samalan, I appreciate the compliments.

I posted these same pics on my Facebook last night, and have already gotten 3 orders from ladies who own Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses. I checked the prices of some Gucci purses, and WOW, nothing personal ladies, but you guys are crazy for spending that kind of money on a mass produced "name only" item.

I think there is only about $60.00 worth of material in this purse and about 10 hours in total making it.

I like this bag a lot . The workmanship is flawless . I expect you want a honest feed back on this . I looked at it a bunch of times from end to end and my eyes keep sticking on the braided flap . I asked myself :why ?what is wrong with it ? The answer I got is : Nothing ,but it just dont seem to fit some how . Its done right nothing wrong with that . It dont have any flaws ,but for me it makes the eye snag there . It interfers with the harmony of the whole if you understand that . I was taken with the detail on the bottom and though that it should be continued some how with the flap . I like that "Flavour" its smooth like the rest of the bag . I hope you understand all that , and no I havent been drinking ! Its just a very well done combination of materials and shapes with enough braiding techniques to draw the eye smoothly from fine detail to another . They say if you look then look again from one detail to another just cruising around with your eye its well done . Cant be digested with one look . I can see this shelf ready in any fine Gallery in Santa Fe . Never know how your work stacks up till you put it on a shelf in a nice store next to the competition and ask yourself "Does it Belong "? My answer with your bag is a resounding YES ! My compliments ,well done ! Bill

Edited by bluesman1951

Bill,

Thanks for the compliments and critique. The crocodile lid was the customers idea, she wanted something that would "create attention" (woman and purses are funny). Personally, I would have liked to just continue on with the black goatskin, but, as this is a "Custom" piece, I had to go with the customer.

The bottom, had me perplexed for a bit, as I didn't want to form it out of the veg tan as this would have caused problems with the form, so I went with it this way. I think it turned out okay, and the second color of lace helps to add contrast to the look.

The one thing I really should have done different, is the lace color on the crocodile flap, after looking at it, I think black lace would have been much nicer.

Again, thanks for the compliments, they mean a lot.

I think it's beautiful. Cheryl

Bill,

Thanks for the compliments and critique. The crocodile lid was the customers idea, she wanted something that would "create attention" (woman and purses are funny). Personally, I would have liked to just continue on with the black goatskin, but, as this is a "Custom" piece, I had to go with the customer.

The bottom, had me perplexed for a bit, as I didn't want to form it out of the veg tan as this would have caused problems with the form, so I went with it this way. I think it turned out okay, and the second color of lace helps to add contrast to the look.

The one thing I really should have done different, is the lace color on the crocodile flap, after looking at it, I think black lace would have been much nicer.

Again, thanks for the compliments, they mean a lot.

I think in my whole leather working time I have made a project with customer input maybe twice , LOL I simply make what I want or think people will find useful. I do listen to customers for what their needs are beyond that it dont much matter . I have gotten rid of everything thats a headache in this business . Funny thing is I run a business and almost no one knows how to get a hold of me . My time is spent creating what ever I can dream up and when I have a big enough pile of interesting things I go cash it in . Pretty simple . there are no piles of things that did not sell shelf is empty and its time to start about 6 new things with patterns and drawings . I have the ability to look at something and see it 6 different ways and each of those a couple of different ways each . Maybe some of my projects are "CHILIE " projects . Put a bunch of stuff (Techniques) in a pot and stir . Hope it tastes good . So far it all works out making a marriage of a little of each from a dozen different things Ive seen . Like shuffling cards and seeing what kind of hand you get ,each hand is a new bag . The cards are all the techniques you have in your head to use . I enjoy my freedom a lot unless I get one of those old folks memory problems dont look like Ill be running out of ideas any time soon . Thanks for understanding my comments ,that means a lot . Bill

really really NIIIIIICE! ;)

and yeah Girls are crazy about purses....So take care "advantage" of it! Your job deserves it! :D

Thanks for the compliments Cheryl and Aurelie, they are much appreciated.