Sign in to follow this  
deloid

I Would Love To Try Some Diamond Point Needles (Dyx3)

I've searched everywhere and can't find and company that sells diamond point needles in sizes 21, 22 or 23 for the DXY3 system.

Anyone know of a supplier?

If you meant to say DYX3 as opposed to DXY3, try Campbell-Randall. This is also known as 794H if I'm not mistaken. Here's a link

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=49_82_109

Keep in mind that those 793 needles are not "diamond point" - they're round point needles. Not "bad", just so you know.

Beyond that, it looks like they sell a "D" point, and "S" point, and an "LR" point. All of these are "leather" needles, and are the same shank diameter and length (meaning they're interchangeable). But the stitch left by each is different.

Personally, I like the "LL" point needles, and use them almost exclusively. In fact, one place I ordered 'LL' and they sent "D" and "S". I suppose I'll use them somewhere, but I have never called those people again...

If you meant to say DYX3 as opposed to DXY3, try Campbell-Randall. This is also known as 794H if I'm not mistaken. Here's a link

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=49_82_109

Thanks for catching that error- yes I meant DYX3. All of those are round or chisel points and they do have some triangular but in larger size. I really wanted to try the diamond point.

Personally, I like the "LL" point needles, and use them almost exclusively. In fact, one place I ordered 'LL' and they sent "D" and "S". I suppose I'll use them somewhere, but I have never called those people again...

I currently use chisel and rounds for wallets and LR for thicker weights. While I understand that LR points offer greater strength I don't like the angled stitches. I just read up on th LL points and it seemes that these are nice cutting needles that still give a straight stitch like the diamond points. Know anyone that carries these in the 22, 23 size?

Deloid,

My bad, brain isn't working the greatest. For some reason I was thinking you were looking for chisel point leather needles in your original post. I didn't catch that you were looking specifically for DI point needles. I always think of the LR and LL needles as being "diamond" point as the shape is vaguely diamond like...

I have found that most dealers seam to send you a random point selection even when you try to specify. I haven't found any vendor who specifically carries the DI points. Good luck, let us know if you find anyone.

The smallest we can get them in is #24,we also have 25 & 26 in DI point,when I order #23 they send the LR's

I took a picture a good while back, showing rows of stitching, all with the same 207 thread and #23 needles. One row with a "LL", one with a "S" (or was it a "D"), one with a 'LR'.

Same thread, same stitch spacing, same tension -- no changes there. And you could clearly see the difference in stitches between the assorted needle geometry. Can't find that pic now, and I didn't see my post in a search. I found posts that were older, so it's proably not that ...

Edited by JLSleather

Okay, having done a google fer JLSleather + needle, I found SOME of that older info. Here's one thread, where a few of us went on about needle size, sittch length, etc.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59875

I see in that thread there was a couple o the boys asking where I got needles, and I must have missed their question. So then.. I'll try to find that deal where i got the LR point needles. I got them by MISTAKE (or malice) -- since I didn't order them - they were sent INSTEAD of what I ordered.

post-13153-0-24591800-1432320088_thumb.j

Alrightey then.. for speed... The top pic shows the SAME stitch length, same tensions, same needle SIZE, but different needle POINTs. Bottom is a clos-up of - well - exactly what it says :) Nice straight line stitch without gaping holes or wide leather tears...

Note that the LL appears to have a shorter stitch length (it doesn't) due to the stitch being pulled down better (neither of these was grooved first).

Edited by JLSleather

To me the S point looks better because the needle has more of a spade point to it & doesn't open up the side of the hole, with DI point the hole looks wider on the side due to the 4-sides of the needle.

I've searched everywhere and can't find and company that sells diamond point needles in sizes 21, 22 or 23 for the DXY3 system.

Anyone know of a supplier?

Deloid,

I emailed Diamond Needle which I believe is the main importer for Organ Needles in the U.S. Here's their response:

Thanks for your inquiry.

We only sizes of 794Di Diamond Point needles we stock are the following:

#24/180, #25/200, #26/230, and #27/250

The price is $92.50 / hundred, FOB, Carlstadt, NJ

(The needles are sold in lots of 100 pcs per size).

Unfortunately we do not have enough demand to produce thinner sizes of the

Diamond Point needles.

We do have round point needles in thinner sizes.

Kindest regards and thanks,

Abe Silberstein

DIAMOND NEEDLE CORP

60 Commerce Road

Carlstadt NJ 07072

Deloid,

I emailed Diamond Needle which I believe is the main importer for Organ Needles in the U.S. Here's their response:

We only sizes of 794Di Diamond Point needles we stock are the following:

#24/180, #25/200, #26/230, and #27/250

Unfortunately we do not have enough demand to produce thinner sizes of the

Diamond Point needles.

Thanks so much for helping me out. I guess the least thing to look for is the LL point in a smaller size.

Dean