panchoskywalker

Why Do I Get These Spots When Dying?

Sometimes I get these spots when dying the leather and I'm not sure why, how can I improve the dying process to avoid this?

post-59941-0-35722900-1432149647_thumb.j

First, don't use newspaper if you can help it. I've had the ink lift off the paper and stain my wet leather.

I'm not sure how you are applying it, but I use a sponge and apply in a circular motion. this evens out the dye. You can also spray with an airbrush or dip dye. I've found that on dip dying straps, I sometimes get that darker dye on the edges when wet, but as it dries, it evens out.

Try the sponge and see if it helps

I sometimes get this too, when I dip dye with brown dye...I think the dye is absorbed at different rates especially along the edges and holes. Sometimes it will even out with time...sometimes not.

I have had the same thing happen when applying a light coat of oil on brown dyed projects as well.

Usually if it does not even out I re-dye it black.

Hopefully someone else will have a better answer/solution.

Thank for you help guys. I let it dried and then dyed it again. result is pretty good.

post-59941-0-26550300-1432230392_thumb.j

Did you just let it dry and then re-dyed it ? It looks real good now...never thought of doing that, I was afraid it would turn out more splotchy. I will have to try that next time.

Did you just let it dry and then re-dyed it ? It looks real good now...never thought of doing that, I was afraid it would turn out more splotchy. I will have to try that next time.

Yep, that's all I did. On the picture the finish is already applied.

If you dye a larger piece of leather and then cut out your pieces, it will likely turn out more even.

Thanks for that tip.

You don't say if you're deglazing the leather before dying. A good job of that will remove wax or oil on the surface that can slow down the dye.

I don't deglaze the leather, how do you do that?

Tandy's (and others) sell a deglazing fluid, but I think most people just use acetone or isopropyl alcohol or ethanol - they'll all work. If you use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), get the strongest mixture. The some of the stuff stores and pharmacies sell has a lot of water.

Using a clean rag or towel, wipe off the surface very well with the solvent. (You thought this was going to be complicated!) You don't want to soak the leather, like you do when casing it; you just want to wipe the surface off. You should also probably wear rubber gloves when doing this and make sure you're in a ventilated area and not near a flame.

There are waxes and oils that get worked into the surface during processing of the leather. Using a solvent to deglaze the surface will get rid of that stuff and let the dyes soak into the surface more evenly.

I have acetone, I will try that. Thanks for the tip.