skootx

Double Layer Belt - Length Of Each Layer?

I'm making a gun belt, by stitching two belt blanks together for thickness. I have not stitched them together yet- I'm trying to figure out the best way to trim them to length. When I lay them out flat, they are exactly the same length. When I wrap them around my waist, the inner blank ends up about 4" longer than the outer one, which is logical. Should I glue/stitch them together flat and let the leather stretch as needed?

Good question...I too look forward to the answer.

My teacher, . . . John Bianchi, . . . taught me to do it that way. Glue em together (actually use Weldwood contact cement for best results), . . . then treat it as one piece of leather.

And, . . . here is one example, . . . my own personal rig.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-44691000-1397172639_thumb.jp

Like dwight said and like we do for lined holsters etc. Glue the two pieces together. Now they are one piece treat them that way. Don't over think it. Yes if you take two seperate pieces and wrap them around something they will act as two weperatapieces and one wil appear longer then the other. However when you attach them together and I do reccomend gluing befor stitching, once they are stuck together they have no choice but to behave as one piece.

When we make a 2 ply belt we do it as mentioned above. How ever the buckle end will only be 1 ply,I stop the 2nd ply about where the keeper would be to prevent the "buckle to bulge" .. The same way that it takes a little time to break in a holster you will need to break in our Gun Belts..

potgunbelt_zps00594363.jpg

Thanks.

This also allows you to do all your loops, etc, on your upper layer and glue on your second one to give a nice sleek finished appearance. just make sure you work in the bottom to the top moulding to the changes in shape, dry flat. I glue a larger width on bottom so its not to small after to moulding around the backside of the loops. THEN, trim to size and stitch if desired, which you do. lol.