Storm

Green Man Carving

Thats really nice looking.

So whats the next big project you have in store, I see you have been working on all these nice scroll work and such,

Not sure yet. I bartered My last big journal for a side of leather and some tools. Soooooo maybe a new big journal maybe in the works. I am just playing around looking for the right patterns. I just like the direction I am going with these new ornamental scroll pieces. Something outside the box.

I am really liking this too. In my estimation it is the original representation of the acantha leaf and stem upon which so much of our different carving styles are based and can be traced back to the earliest stone carvings, frescos, paintings and woodwork. In that respect, it is eternal. It never goes out of style.

I am really liking this too. In my estimation it is the original representation of the acantha leaf and stem upon which so much of our different carving styles are based and can be traced back to the earliest stone carvings, frescos, paintings and woodwork. In that respect, it is eternal. It never goes out of style.

I think you are very right in that respect. The interesting part is trying to trace back to exactly who started to stylize the acantha and the coiled fern leaf and so forth. I think that our familiar type of Floral Carving is not from the 1800's but from well into our mid 1900's. I have been looking at the early stone carvings and so forth for ideas. Something that would be more correctly called Classical Floral carving. Like some of the William Morris's work from 1875 England. He had really reifned the ebb and flow of Acanthus. The old Spanish stuff was very airy with a lot of dead space. I am now looking through my library for a large book of mine that might help pin point the time frame. :yes:

Storm

loving the scroll work...you have been so busy lately storm!!

I really like the way that looks, quite classy!! <3

Storm, I see you're veering into some classic ornamental art, which is one of my favorite subjects for leather carving. Though I love well-executed western floral and Sheridan floral, there are many, many other genres of ornamental art that also work well with leather that are virtually untapped by leather artists. No exaggeration, the possibilities are limitless. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Thanks for posting that.

Kate

Storm, I see you're veering into some classic ornamental art, which is one of my favorite subjects for leather carving.  Though I love well-executed western floral and Sheridan floral, there are many, many other genres of ornamental art that also work well with leather that are virtually untapped by leather artists.  No exaggeration, the possibilities are limitless.  Can't wait to see what else you come up with.  Thanks for posting that.

Kate

Thanx Kate...More stuff on the granite as I write. After talking with Brent(Go2Tex) I am in the process of putting together some documentation on how we went from the classic acanthus and such to our more recent "Western Floral". You are right though there are so amny possibilties. I just got through modifying an A104-2 to a much smaller version for backgrounding the intricate pattern I am carving now. Wanted to se how small I could go for a wallet. I will be posting the test piece soon.

Storm

Way cool. I love the Victorian style patterns too. Classic. Can't wait to see the test piece.

Thanx Kate...More stuff on the granite as I write. After talking with Brent(Go2Tex) I am in the process of putting together some documentation on how we went from the classic acanthus and such to our more recent "Western Floral". You are right though there are so amny possibilties. I just got through modifying an A104-2 to a much smaller version for backgrounding the intricate pattern I am carving now. Wanted to se how small I could go for a wallet. I will be posting the test piece soon.

Storm

Hi Storm. I really like the Victorian style you've been working with. You're doing a great job with it.

On the history front, I think you need to look a whole lot further back in time to find the beginnings. I've seen a leather case for an oliphant (hunting or war horn) dating back into the 1400's with acanthus scrolls (Metropolitan Museum of Art). I posted a link to some pieces in the Victoria and Albert Museum and to a couple of other museums in Germany with carved leather items from the 1600's back to the 1300's. I find it very interesting how many of the modern "Western Floral" themes can be seen in pieces from 500 or more years ago.