Wynfrith

Wynfrith's First Holster

post-51219-0-69308000-1413834672_thumb.j

This is the first serious leather project I have ever done, and wanted to show it off. My mistakes are silly as firstly I did not make the belt loop big enough to accommodate most belts. Secondly my edges are way too rough, but that all apart of learning. I will be making more later on, and will correct those mistakes. I am also thinking about using rivets instead of stitching, but I am not sure if one is better than the other.

Looks like a good one for a first. We all have to learn from out mistakes. I'm still learning and have made lots of holsters. I think you are better off using stitches instead of rivets. You could also learn to lace and do them with lace like I do. It is fun to lace and the holsters look good too.

I did not think about using lace. I will add that to my list off things to do in the future. I want to make slightly different looking versions of this one. That way I will learn the pattern, but I will also learn other techniques to help me with other projects and ideas.

Kaint tell.. is that a Walther? I aint much of a laced holster guy, I admit. Paranoia maybe, but I like the strength of the stitch. In your case, I might recommend a slightly smaller stitch length.

You've taken the biggest step in figuring these things... the FIRST one! If you're sacrificing the holster to learning experience, then I might suggest that you wet the thing, and "bone" the leather under the trigger guard WITHOUT taking that apart. Then with a small ruler or scale you can see how much tighter the stitch line "could be" (in fact, you could let it dry that way and stitch again if you cared to).

Couple issues you already mention you are aware of. Still, progress is good -- git it RIGHT, then you can git it purdy :)

Oh, I'm with Rohn on the rivets.

Edited by JLSleather

The firearm was my Grandmother's bathroom pistol. We found it in a gold compact case loaded and ready to go! It is a Titan FIE .25 ACP not something I would have ever bought for myself (I like Glocks and .357 magnums), but it shoots well for a pistol company that has a bad reputation.

I will be making another one, if time works out, this week. This one I may take a razor to the edges to clean it up a bit, but I am not trusting my hands to do the work. I worry I will cut too much off and ruin it. If I get past my own fears I will do at least that much to the holster and leave it be, but the next ones I will gladly play with as I make them.

Very nice! Keep up the good work.

If you have a belt or oscillating drum sander you can sand the edges with that and get great results. It makes them nice and smooth.

All I have is a Dremel with a variety of heads and a bench grinder. I am looking at belt sanders right now because it is on my needs list.

I have a question. I was thinking about lining the inside. Are there any advantages to adding a liner to a holster?

I'm looking at getting a belt sander in the not too distant future as well, but in the mean-time I'm using my sanding drum with my dremel mounted in their drill press stand.. The same setup with a burnishing wheel makes quick work of burnishing edges as well. It works well enough for drilling as well, but I don't have too much use for that with leather. It takes up little room, is mobile, and versatile. It's not a perfect tool / setup, but it works well enough.

Bill

I really like it, looks good for a first holster.

Chris

I have a question. I was thinking about lining the inside. Are there any advantages to adding a liner to a holster?

Smooth, finished look inside.

Allows use of small pieces of lighter leathers.

Entire holster is firmer (two light layers are stronger than one thick one, all else equal).

Hardware used can be covered with the lining layer to avoid marring the gun finish (snaps, rivets, etc).

Dust & dirt can be wiped out (usually).. no "sueded' side to trap crap.

post-13153-0-20154100-1413927768_thumb.j

Edited by JLSleather