BadW0lf

Saddle Stitch Without A Pony?

What is the easiest technique for saddle stitching without having a stitching pony? Or should I just make one? Thanks!

Hold the work between your knees...sometime you have to...but the pony was invented for a reason, can't trump it,.

Buy one or make one....but have one.

I do saddle stitching while watching TV without a pony sometimes, but it is slow and a little cumbersome. -- Tex

Hold the work between your knees...sometime you have to...but the pony was invented for a reason, can't trump it,.

Buy one or make one....but have one.

Agreed.

Edited by JLSleather

I do saddle stitching while watching TV without a pony sometimes, but it is slow and a little cumbersome. -- Tex

I do this a lot. It does take longer.

Are you punching your holes ahead of time or as you go? I found that without a pony, if I punch the holes ahead of time it saves a step when stitching.

I punch my holes ahead of time. Here is a simple folding knife pouch that I did yesterday.

post-42291-0-80713400-1382530026_thumb.j

post-42291-0-89563500-1382530044_thumb.j

I have stitched everything without a stitchin horse up until recently. Now that I have one (made it myself) I don't know why I didn't do that 1st! So convenient...and no more charlie horse in my leg!

P.S. I do punch holes ahead of time but with the horse it doesnt matter

make yourself a pony! its so simple and makes stithing so much easier!

stitching pony

- made this using a old wooden ikea bed slat! Took all of 15mins to make.

I use a small stitching pony for the time being, until I make something better.

I find it much easier and more consistent to punch my awl holes in advance too.

I mainly do holsters. I tried the pony but did not like it. I just hold the holster and stitch it. I've got a pattern and routine down that works for me. The best thing I did was buy a sewing palm though. Really sped things up for me. I pre punch my holes too.

Here is a terrible video of me using my $2 clamp. -- Tex

I just stand at my workbench and use a bench vise to hold my work.

There are plans and even some good examples on here, invest the time, you'll wonder why u didn't do it sooner.

I just stand at my workbench and use a bench vise to hold my work.

Pretty much the same thing here. I turn the vice 90 degrees and put one end of a wood screw clamp angled slightly towards me and the jaws coming together at the points. Sit on a stool and away I go.

I really want to build a proper horse though, it would be nice to bring it out of the cold basement this time of year and so I could watch the idiotbox.

Edited by BAD HIDE

During the Holiday break I finally got around to making me a proper pony. By proper I mean one that I didn't just throw together. I actually took the time to measure my cuts instead of just eyeballing it. Very easy and simple to make. I made this one a bit taller to allow longer/wider pieces to fit, and I mounted it so that I could turn or angle the piece if needed. I have one of those cam clamps on my other one so I will swap it out with this one, and I want to make two more holes for the bolt so that I can adjust up or down based on the size of the piece. I was sewing an A4 case for a customer and the bolt being towards the top made it difficult to sew. I ended up having to remove the bolt and use a clamp to hold it all together. This size eliminates that problem.

Karina.

post-32363-0-01397000-1389014299_thumb.ppost-32363-0-44949700-1389014309_thumb.ppost-32363-0-04787200-1389014322_thumb.p

There is a topic somewhere on here where a lady built her horse with the jaws able to swivel. A very good idea for any who are planning to build one- wish I had done it with mine! It would be very handy as I have sewn wallets & found myself leaning around to the side of mine when stitching the ends...