shagey71

Used To Fix Tore Up Saddles, Now Doing Holsters... Lemme Have It

As I said, I used to fix stuff more than build stuff but I have done about 30 holsters now, I'll throw up a couple for some critique. I'd like these to get better so try your best to offend me. I have thick skin.

post-33453-0-65330100-1365609418_thumb.j

post-33453-0-89645400-1365609440_thumb.j

post-33453-0-77973900-1365609455_thumb.j

For starters, these all look really good, but I know what you mean about always wanting to get better. I am still pretty new to holster making myself, but I'll see if I can help.

On your first holster, it looks like there are some wrinkles near your stitching. If that happened while you were molding, you should be able to smooth them back out a bit with whatever molding tool you are using. It also looks like the edges on the first one could use some more burnishing. It looks like there are some little leather strings sticking out, but it could just be the picture.

On the others, if you have some pictures of the backsides and edges I could offer up some more ideas. How close are your mag release buttons to the back side of the holsters? The middle one looks like it would be close...

Hopefully that gives you something to start with, and maybe some of the more experienced folks can give you some more help.

Good Work though!

- Michael

The burnishing comment is absolutely true. As on now I am rubbing my edges down with the gum tragacanth, then rubbing it with an antler or a sharpie like I'm trying to start a fire. I have also used the smooth rounded part of the metal chuck on my dremel to heat up the gum and burnish. Honestly I want something better. I've seen these nylon looking routed out stems on folks' drill presses in pictures but I have no idea what they are called to even look into ordering one. What has worked best for y'all?

As for the mag release on the one, it has the euro style release on the bottom of the grip frame, so no problems there :red_bandana:

The burnishing comment is absolutely true. As on now I am rubbing my edges down with the gum tragacanth, then rubbing it with an antler or a sharpie like I'm trying to start a fire. I have also used the smooth rounded part of the metal chuck on my dremel to heat up the gum and burnish. Honestly I want something better. I've seen these nylon looking routed out stems on folks' drill presses in pictures but I have no idea what they are called to even look into ordering one. What has worked best for y'all?

As for the mag release on the one, it has the euro style release on the bottom of the grip frame, so no problems there :red_bandana:

Nice Holsters Shagey71. Aside from what HelluvaEngineer mentioned, the only issue I see is that there aren't enough 1911 handguns shown in the photos :).

BTW, Tandy Leather sells a round white nylon "edge slicker" that can be mounted on a drill. The problem is it only has one size groove. The handheld wood slicker from Tandy with multiple sizes works great. I also like to use HidePounder's method of using a piece of canvas to burnish also. I edge, then rub the edges down with glycerin saddle soap bar, use the wood slicker briskly first, then I then rub brislkly with the canvas wrapped around the wood slicker. I may repeat the process later as the edges dryout or get worn. This works for me, but may not be the best way. I picked up a square yard of canvas at the local fabric shop. They normally have denim also..............Rory

Great advice, and I'll be stopping by tandy today to look for that piece. We'll go from there.

Cut up some old blue jeans for the cloth. Also a wood burnisher mounted in a drill or dremel makes a big difference.

IT looks like you're doing a lot of things with the leather too wet. The overall appearance of the holsters just looks like you rushed it a bit. I know how impatient I can be and its hard to slow down. Also, the yellow thread is distracting IMO.

sew AFTER you do the color. then it won't discolor your thread

Keep at it Shagey. Great job and will get better as you go.

Plenty of ways to burnish, using glass burnisher, tandy nylon and their wooden multi slotted tool, which is a good hand tool. They also have bone folders and more. You can go the dremel route or use drill/drill press methods and some folks use antler pieces. So many ways to do it and all in what you as an individual find works best for you. Try them all as it is a great learning experience and sure you will develop your own technique.

Enjoy-----

God Bless.

Ray