• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spinner

Spinner

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:hand tooled artwork, Harley tank bibs, rear fender bibs, custom tool bags and acrylic painting/custom dying
  • Interested in learning about:currently studying how handbags, backpacks, etc. are made.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hey folks,

I've been looking at Black 1/8" kangaroo lace and have found that depending on where you look the price for a 25 yd spool varies from $23-70. That's a pretty big spread for a similar product. Is there a huge difference in what the suppliers have like there is in leather hides? If so, what are those differences and would some of the folks that use roo lace consistently tell me where you buy yours and why?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris
Three Mutts Customs Leather - http://www.threemuttscustoms.com

#2 King's X

King's X

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:For 2014 ~ Still trying to learn to draw my own patterns.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Anything Leather!
  • Interested in learning about:Old Western Floral Carving and its history~!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

SpinnerI have purchased from Springfield and pay about $35-$40 for 100 yards.....cannot remember...ol timers disease. I was talking with Big Papa leather last night and told him that I remember someone mentioned on here about a site that sold 100 yards in a dozen colors for $30? I cannot remember the site name, but I will have to find it for BPL and will post it here for you all!
Greetings from Central Texas!

The Grain Side Up

#3 Spinner

Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:hand tooled artwork, Harley tank bibs, rear fender bibs, custom tool bags and acrylic painting/custom dying
  • Interested in learning about:currently studying how handbags, backpacks, etc. are made.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

That would be very helpful! Just trying to figure out how best to spend my supply dollars. i don't mind waiting a few extra days to have something shipped if the price is that much better. The local store has it for $70 a spool yet the highest anywhere else online is about $50. If I can save $20-30 for the same or better quality by simply waiting on the post man I will.
Chris

#4 King's X

King's X

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

No worries...let me find it for you. Oh, my invoice will be in the mail for agent service! Just kidding, lol!! You hooking me up, gotta take care of you!!

The Grain Side Up

#5 roo4u

roo4u

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:horse, human and dog tack braided in kangaroo and paracord.
  • Interested in learning about:all forms of braiding, braiding with rawhide.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:internet search on lace cutters

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

best quality lace? cut your own!
TRACY

MONSTER FARM SPECIALTIES-custom tack for dog, horse and human

#6 King's X

King's X

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yea, but if I did that then I would need a big shop just to hold everything I needed to do myself! Something need to be bought done or halfway done, but I understand your position!

The Grain Side Up

#7 Spinner

Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My main leather area is a small desk in the dining room.
I have a 10x10 shop outside but it houses all the large power tools and the dust that comes from them! ;)
Chris

#8 roo4u

roo4u

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:horse, human and dog tack braided in kangaroo and paracord.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

i know not everyone has the time or even wants to cut their own lace....just make sure that your not getting chrome tan roo....its very much more stretchy than veg tan and especially be careful if your using it for lacing seats or something like that.
TRACY

#9 rcsaddles

rcsaddles

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is braiding both leather and rawhide. I prefer to make my own rawhide. I also make saddles, tack, holsters and most anything leather. I also do tarp and canvas repair.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:braiding and saddle building
  • Interested in learning about:leather carving and stamping

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

I just got two spools of 54 yards each at a price of $39.00 per spool. Came form Y~Knot Lace. www.y-knotlace.com Pretty good stuff. She took over Jim Downey's lace business when he retired last year.

I will tell you the lace I got is not beveled so if that is an issue, you may want to ask before ordering. I am happy with the price and the quality. I do also agree with roo4u in that teh most economical is to cut your own. Takes time and practice.
Joe Boyles
Rugged Cross Saddlery
Lewistown, Montana
Romans 6:23

#10 King's X

King's X

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

True that! That is why I like to order from members on this forum! It is not a guarantee, but close to it. I have yet to be burned by anyone on here and hopefully vice versa. So, if anyone makes this roo lace and wants to sell......speak up! You might have two new customers. Enjoy your day

The Grain Side Up

#11 Spence

Spence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Everything leather and GSDs
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Dog collars, etc.
  • Interested in learning about:Everything

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

The dining room table is plenty big enough to handle cutting lace from a roo hide. I've even done it over a 2x6" saw horse. Like roo4u says, it's the best way to know what you're getting.

Having said that, I also agree that y-knotlace has the best pre-cut lace on this side of the pond. Both price and quality.

Chrome tan is a pet peeve of mine. The process destroys the cell walls of the leather, thereby making them "soft as a baby's behind." That's where you'd get the stretch (and ultimately, the breakage) from. Plus, if you look up the MSDS sheet on Chromium Salts, it gets scary.

Beveling is something you're most likely going to have to learn and live with if you're concerned with the bottom line. With practice and plenty of soap, it will become easy.
Spence
Mendoza, TX, USA

#12 Spinner

Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info folks, at least now I have some idea of what questions to ask the suppliers.
This lace will be going on my most requested items, motorcycle side covers and tank bibs. I don't have a lace cutter yet but am working on it (want to get a good one) and I'll need to read up more on the process of cutting, stretching and beveling my own lace....likely need to buy all those tools for that as well.

Currently I use superior lace and pre-stretch it as I pull pretty good on the side covers when lacing the top/side seams. It comes out decent enough but I've read that to be in the "next level" group of quality, Roo is the way to go. Just need to find a place that can supply ready to work with roo lace until I figure out the making my own process. ;)

What good tools are recommended for the cutting/beveling/making of lace from a hide?
Chris

#13 roo4u

roo4u

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

for cutting i use a little wooden cutter sold by davidmorgan.com. he is a whipmaker and braider and these little cutters are what they use in their production. only 12.00. prior to that i used a lacemaker from tandy. my splitter is homemade from a design that someone posted on the forum a year or two ago. for beveling i just bought the beveler from yknot lace...70.00 and easy to use works well.
TRACY

#14 Spinner

Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

for cutting i use a little wooden cutter sold by davidmorgan.com. he is a whipmaker and braider and these little cutters are what they use in their production. only 12.00. prior to that i used a lacemaker from tandy. my splitter is homemade from a design that someone posted on the forum a year or two ago. for beveling i just bought the beveler from yknot lace...70.00 and easy to use works well.

Thanks Roo, I'll check those out. In the meantime I have some coming from SLC to mess around with.
Chris

#15 Bevan

Bevan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Fishing , horses & You guessed it , leather and raw hide plaiting
  • Leatherwork Specialty:stock and bullwhips
  • Interested in learning about:bosals, and all other leather work

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info folks, at least now I have some idea of what questions to ask the suppliers.
This lace will be going on my most requested items, motorcycle side covers and tank bibs. I don't have a lace cutter yet but am working on it (want to get a good one) and I'll need to read up more on the process of cutting, stretching and beveling my own lace....likely need to buy all those tools for that as well.

Currently I use superior lace and pre-stretch it as I pull pretty good on the side covers when lacing the top/side seams. It comes out decent enough but I've read that to be in the "next level" group of quality, Roo is the way to go. Just need to find a place that can supply ready to work with roo lace until I figure out the making my own process. ;)

What good tools are recommended for the cutting/beveling/making of lace from a hide?

Gday Spinner
I have been reading your post with interest on how people cut or buy their lace !!
I make &sell a beveller / resizer tool and i use a RMW strand cutter and splitter,
First I cut a 25mm strip all the way around the hide untill i get to the center and have a piece left that is about 6 inch in dia.
I then stretch this 1 inch strip by wrapping it around a hook screwed into a post ! " well i picked the arch way inside my house " then i pull the leather around the hook and pass the leather from my right hand to my left , keeping plenty of pressure as i go
then after that you will notice that the leather is not all one size it will veary a bit here and there so this is were my little machine comes into it , i set the back gauge up so I can cut lace at 6mm, 1/4 inch this will give me about 50 odd feet or there abouts , I can get 2 more pieces of lace at 6mm wide from the same strip that i cut at 25mm.
Now i am left with an uneven strip of leather because of the stretch so now i will adjust the resizer so i can cut some 3mm or 2.5 mm lace.
With the 6inch circlesi use a tandy lace cutter and cut them as wide as i can then stretch and resize .

I hope this helps
Cheers
Bevan

ps here is my website if ya want to have a captain cook
www.bwrwhips.com