cheepo63

My New Stitching Clamp

I have been looking for a decent Pony/Clamp to make it easier to stitch. I bought one of those cheap ones and its just rubbish. The opening is so small so you can only stitch tiny things. After googling around I found this maker who was in the process of starting up his Clamp business. I immediately signed up for one and was placed as number five. The first one did go to Hermes for evaluation, and what I heard from Fred they liked it a lot. So after a couple of weeks of waiting I finally got it.

What can I say, its amazing. The details, workmanship, quality is mind blowing. Fred is also a true gentleman to deal with. Highly recommended. And how was it to sew with? Just wonderful, best thing I bought so far.. So here is the pictures, otherwise it didn't happen.

Here is a link to Freds homepage if you want more info.

http://www.crafts-de...lamps_page.html

Cheers

Peter

Nicely packaged

Clampboxed-1.jpg

Personal letters is always nice.

Letter.jpg

Bag for storage.

Bag.jpg

Pic of stunning details.

clampcloseup.jpg

Details of the leg

clampleg.jpg

Hinge attached with torx.

clamphinge.jpg

Put your needle down

clampneedleholder.jpg

Adjust for your height. Rubber tip for non-slipping.

clampadjustableleg.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome and a great design, but I haven't figured out it's retention mechanism. Is it always in tension and you pull it apart to release the leather?

No the snaplock is only used when you store the clamp. You use your legs to put pressure on the jaws.

what was the price of this thing?

what was the price of this thing?

The price varies depending on what options you choose. See the link for more info and pricing.

The attention to detail is incredible. This clearly falls into an heirloom quality tool category.

Edited by shtoink

Thats real nice Peter, I liked your version the best. It warms my hart to see this kind of craftsman's ship.

Tor

No6 is on the way here... How could I not after seeing Fred's work of art!

And no... I'm not at all excited... I'm a grown up!

Nige

I remember you mentioning about your old stitching pony Nigel on one of your videos , that's going to look cool next to your upturned log :spoton:

I still haven't found the price .

Mine are scheduled to be made in May! They are around 300 but I'm not sure Fred is planning to continue making them sadly

Charlie

Thank You Charlie .

Edited by Mike 257

What options did you add on to your clamp? I love it just the way it is.

Personally I went for adjustable hight, locking jaws and that's about it. I'll post photos when mines made.

cjmt, thanks and I cannot wait to see it.

cheepo63, Peter, what about you and your clamp? Can you tell me what add on touches did you put on your clamp?

Thanks.

So I saw these clamps in a shop here in Denmark, that bought them directly.

My first impression was; WOW! They're so well made and made of beautiful and solid materials. And the details are great - like the magnetic needle holders.

BUT then I started wondering, and I think I concluded one thing - a big problem about them. I may be wrong though.

The curve is too big. It should taper towards the end where it holds the subject. It could easily be hard getting ind with the awl. I'm having a tough time explaining what I mean, but I think it should be more narrow and tapered.

That being said I would still consider buying one, They're NICE!

I've been using mine for some time now and can say that it is one of the best tool investments I've made. I had mine made with a locking mechanism, vertical stabiliser, and some needle magnets. With regards to the comment about difficulty in getting your awl in because of the wide arc of the design, I personally don't have a problem, but I do use the osbourne pear shaped awl haft which is a relatively slim design, if you prefer to use a large awl haft specifically those with a lip to them, then I guess you might find yourself with a problem.

Cheers

Zip

www.zipsleather.com

Edited by El Zipster

Just to bring up an old topic, has anyone ordered one in North America? I have clicked on as many links as I could find but couldn't find any that contained the options available- of course I could have missed one.

Just curious, what options are available?

I noticed that the website hasn't been updated for over 3 years.

Edited by TheModifier

I've emailed with Fred 2 or 3 times since April or May. He has had some health issues (& machine issues) that have kept him from making any.  I believe he is trying to finish some that were on order and then he is looking for other work. He may make some in the future at a much slower pace and he might try to find someone to train. 

Click here:

http://www.crafts-design.com/content/directdownload/Saddler's_clamps_brochure.pdf

Edited by thefanninator