Sign in to follow this  
KeriYokie

Leather Tack repair questions

I've been doing some leather tack repairs and wanted some feedback on how others may go about certain repairs.  I have a English girth that needs the elastic replaced.  The leather pieces holding the buckles to the elastic are in decent condition.  Do others replace the leather piece when replacing the elastic?  or do you try to reuse the leather if in good condition with hand stitching?  I can do hand stitching and I have a Techsew 4800 I can use also.  And what about on the other end?  hand sew in same holes with needles & awl? or machine sew.  I am very wary of using a machine to sew on leather with previous holes.

I haven't tried to replace the elastic on a girth, but I have replaced or repaired the buckles a couple of times. 

If the leather is in good working condition, with the inevitable scratches that comes from use, I reuse it. I also do handstitching using the old holes if possible. 

Depending on if you are doing it for yourself or a customer, I would look at how much a similar girth would cost from new. Even if I can repair it, I always feel better at telling a customer if the price of a repair job will be somewhat equal to the price of a new item. 

I try to remake leather pieces if badly damaged, rotten etc. but I hand stitch and I also  match the colour the best I can . The leather often breaks right where the buckle  heel and pin  sits , whether its cheek straps, reins ,  bridle/halter  components  etc.  

For me, it has to be a good job as a lot of my customers are associated with equine clubs . It has to pass whats called ' gear check'  ( safety check)  in some clubs. 

HS

Personally I have some elastic already made up with the chapes so an easy swap. I hand stich using existing holes.  If buckle OK will reuse but not always worth it.

There are some items that can only be sewn by hand.

Nose Band repair 001.jpg