Waldog

Presser foot climbing adjustment, is it worth it

I'm new to heavy duty sewing.  I'm interested in buying a Juki 1541S.  However,  the Consew 1541S is a Juki clone and has a "presser foot climbing adjustment knob" on the top of the machine.  Is that adjustment knob handy and worth the extra money for the Consew over the Juki?

well, depends on if you need the comfort of this knob and how often you really adjust the foot height. On my machine I have set it to the highest lift and never went back. Usually all triple feed machines have some sort of foot adjustment. Most have some sort of cam on the rear some have a push knob on top of the machine... Just different systems.

Edited by Constabulary

8 hours ago, Waldog said:

I'm new to heavy duty sewing.  I'm interested in buying a Juki 1541S.  However,  the Consew 1541S is a Juki clone and has a "presser foot climbing adjustment knob" on the top of the machine.  Is that adjustment knob handy and worth the extra money for the Consew over the Juki?

If I am not mistaken the newer release of the Juki 1541S has the "Knob" vs the older 1541S. I think that is why you are seeing the older versions being reduced in price. If you need the additional feature of the "knob" for your sewing needs then it is probably a good feature. My machine doesn't have that feature as it is about four years old even through the casing has the mounting holes, etc there in the top of the machine. The Juki 1541 is made in Japan vs the Consew I think is made in China by who ?? for Consew. The resale value of any clone down the road is going to be less then that of a similar model Juki and the Juki will be easier to sell.

You should test drive both machines side by side to see which one is of the better quality / price for your needs.

In the pass some of the clones of the Juki 1541 didn't have the same hook as the Juki so check and see if parts that fit the Juki will also fit the clone machine you are looking at. Remember some of the clones will rate the max thread of their machine by the size of max needle it can take. Juki rates there machine by the what it will sew using the max. thread in both the top and the bobbin in thick materials which is usually one thread size smaller then the max size needle capacity.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

11 hours ago, Waldog said:

Smart question Waldog! I had noticed that know too on the clone machines. So glad you asked the question and the pros here answered. I'm also wanting a Juki 1541S, but trying to use and fix what I have now until the day comes when I can buy a brand new machine. Good luck to you! Let us know if and when you buy something new! :)

I don't have a juki but do have a Typical machine with this feature except I also have a switch which puts it on max foot lift.I love this feature, I do car upholstery and its fantastic when you come to intersecting seams with lots of bulk, hit the switch and it just climbs over the seam without banging into it and shortening the stitch length.I've now moved the switches to the top of the machine for extra clearance and so I don't accidently hit them while sewing.

rsz_1.jpg.1250da6e779fc2e99aa309691fdc1a09.jpg

I found out something about the knob.  Apparently, the knob adjusts how high the foot is lifted with the knee lift and lift lever on the back.  It doesn't adjust the foot pressure.  That is an internal adjustment with a wrench and screwdriver. The knob seems like a "nice  to have" feature not a "must have".  Also, as far I been able to determine, the newer Juki 1541 machines still do not have that feature. 

The height that the foot lifts at each stitch is adjustable on most 111-derived triple/walking foot mechanisms as @Constabulary says -- usually by adjusting a locking screw through a curved slot on the back of the machine head. I've never had or used a machine with one of those handy top wheels but assuming it makes that adjustment it would be a useful thing. Normally on my W/F machines I just set and forget it at maximum, and if you're just making a few items a day that's fine -- especially if you sew slowly. However I've found that when sewing larger batches it can be handy to reduce the walking for the working foot height. Set it to just a little above the minimum you need to clear/climb what you're sewing and you reduce the amount of metal crashing up and down. Also I think it reduces the amount of bruising/marking the feet leave on the leather if the pressure's a little higher than you'd like. Makes a difference when running your machine >8 hours a day pedal to the metal >2000 SPM, which I have been known to do.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, keithski122 said:

I don't have a juki but do have a Typical machine with this feature except I also have a switch which puts it on max foot lift.I love this feature, I do car upholstery and its fantastic when you come to intersecting seams with lots of bulk, hit the switch and it just climbs over the seam without banging into it and shortening the stitch length.I've now moved the switches to the top of the machine for extra clearance and so I don't accidently hit them while sewing.

Nice looking machine you have there Keithski! I did see the "Typical" brand out there, I wondered if people were liking them. I decided to go ahead and buy a new machine because my Consew 255RB does not have quite a high enough lift when going over those thick seams - Auto Upholstery. I'm doing this type of work most days now, when I have piping and foam and vinyl all crossing in the seams, I just do not have enough height and have to move over to a Co-worker's Juki machine for thickest sections. It's driving me nuts!!!! Co-workers are generous to share their machines, but I have to wait until they are doing something else to use their machine when I need it. I have my eye on a 1541S, but considering other brands too. Gravitating toward Juki though!

Edited by suzelle