Brooks125

Skipping a Stitch

I have a Cowboy 3200 and typically stitch 8/9 oz veg tan leather for belts holsters and gun leather, belts etc.  Lately, I have had trouble with skipping pick-ups from the bobbin.  When it happens, I know it because the thread loops on the needle chuck.  The stitch is good on all other counts, as far as tension and spacing.

I'm lubricated well.  Tensions all seem right.  In fact, I seldom adjust much of anything since my projects are all pretty similar.  I've been pretty consistent for about 7 years now!  One thing I did change ... I recently switched to Superior Thread (277).  Oddly enough, it only seems to be the white thread that does it.

Any ideas what may cause this and, more importantly, how to correct it.  It's infrequent enough that if need be, I can hand stitch the offending thread down, but that gets old after awhile. The picture shows the skipped stitches on the top row, there's only a couple here.

Thanks for the input.

20220327_195610.jpg

I would start by cleaning the bobbin area very well. Also take a good look at the hook. No real good ideas here. I use superior 277 white as well and have been very happy with it.

3 hours ago, Brooks125 said:

Lately, I have had trouble with skipping pick-ups from the bobbin.

4 hours ago, Brooks125 said:

Oddly enough, it only seems to be the white thread that does it.

I agree with Hags but I would also try i) replacing the needle and ii) replace the thread with a fresh spool. Are you using an 8 oz spool or 1 lb spool of thread?

In 7 years it is well possible that the needle bar has risen a little bit. I´d check the needle hook timing and probably lower the needle bar a tiny bit.

@Brooks125 - Sorry, but I cannot comment on the skipped stitch issue you're having but as a relative beginner to leatherwork who's trying to learn, I wanted to ask you a question:  On the photo you posted of those stitch lines, it looks like you might have cut a groove for your stitch line.  Is that right?  I know this is done for hand stitching, but I'd never seen/heard that it's also done for machine stitching.  I would imagine it would be very hard when machine stitching to keep the stitches within that stitch line groove, or is that just a question of experience?  Thanks.

There is a groove for all four lines.  It does get easier as you go!

On 3/28/2022 at 12:58 AM, Constabulary said:

In 7 years it is well possible that the needle bar has risen a little bit. I´d check the needle hook timing and probably lower the needle bar a tiny bit.

So far, this seems to be the solution.  I came down this morning and it was happening WAY too often.  I swapped out the thread as suggested above ... no help.  Since this is, apparently the only "how-to" video NOT on YouTube, I called Toledo Ind. and he walked me through removing the head cover (not hard at all) and a couple set screws loosened and tightened, we're back in business.  Thanks for the help everyone.

FWIW - when you have skipped stitches it most of the time is the needle bar set too high / needle bar has risen by the time.