chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

That could very well be the case

I think it was mentioned that he had some concussion as a result of falling, that too could be caused by the affects of ' syncope's' . 

Another beeeeeautiful day again .  Its warming up  friend, it was like a Summers day yesterday  :specool:

HS 

On 8/31/2023 at 8:26 PM, Handstitched said:

I think it was mentioned that he had some concussion as a result of falling, that too could be caused by the affects of ' syncope's' . 

Another beeeeeautiful day again .  Its warming up  friend, it was like a Summers day yesterday  :specool:

HS 

And here its been a very cool summer the warm weather plants in our garden are stunted and not producing much. On the bright side the cool weather plants have thrived lol. the next two months are busy for us harvesting and hunting. the first frost is about two weeks away. the tall plants in the second pic are cumin, dill, and mustard, we have harvested over three pounds of dill, which would cost in the store about $ 80.00 a pound. we use it to can the pickled foods.

garden23-1.jpg

garden23.jpg

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

And here its been a very cool summer the warm weather plants in our garden are stunted and not producing much. On the bright side the cool weather plants have thrived lol. the next two months are busy for us harvesting and hunting. the first frost is about two weeks away. the tall plants in the second pic are cumin, dill, and mustard, we have harvested over three pounds of dill, which would cost in the store about $ 80.00 a pound. we use it to can the pickled foods.

garden23-1.jpg

garden23.jpg

oops the first picture is the herbs

21 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

we use it to can the pickled foods.

That looks so beautifully  lush & green . I've never actually seen cumin before, except in powdered form in a jar , something I use in curries all the time.  I use to put ' dill' on a simple cheese on toast, that was way back when I was in school . Come home  from school , snack, as all kids do.  . I think thats when my culinary  interest  began.  Dill is a very aromatic  herb .  I used to mess around with damper, (a bush bread, made  of flour, a pinch of salt, and water made into a bread like doh and normally cooked on an open fire . )  but I used cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate etc. made my own version, cooked in the oven. Damn good it was too . 

Weather has been a bit strange lately . Yesterday was nice, until the late  afternoon . Then a storm hit. Today  it was cold...again.  Weird. 

HS

On 9/3/2023 at 5:25 AM, Handstitched said:

That looks so beautifully  lush & green . I've never actually seen cumin before, except in powdered form in a jar , something I use in curries all the time.  I use to put ' dill' on a simple cheese on toast, that was way back when I was in school . Come home  from school , snack, as all kids do.  . I think thats when my culinary  interest  began.  Dill is a very aromatic  herb .  I used to mess around with damper, (a bush bread, made  of flour, a pinch of salt, and water made into a bread like doh and normally cooked on an open fire . )  but I used cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate etc. made my own version, cooked in the oven. Damn good it was too . 

Weather has been a bit strange lately . Yesterday was nice, until the late  afternoon . Then a storm hit. Today  it was cold...again.  Weird. 

HS

i love fresh dill, it really makes a sandwich pop. We grew a bunch of herbs this year so we should be good for a couple years. the dill is about 5' tall and we are hoping to get a bunch of seed from it also. Man we have sage, basil, thyme, rosemary, cumin, cilantro, lavender, mint, mustard and probably a couple i cant remember lol. We went to the river and foraged some black currents, rose hips and wild mint which we dried and make an awesome tea blend for the coming winter.

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i love fresh dill, it really makes a sandwich pop.

You have quite a a good selection there :specool:

Fresh herbs are the best in cooking . Dried herbs out of a jar, are OK, but don't seem to have the same flavour as fresh herbs.

hs

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You have quite a a good selection there :specool:

Fresh herbs are the best in cooking . Dried herbs out of a jar, are OK, but don't seem to have the same flavour as fresh herbs.

hs

Its your turn now you better plant my friend summer is coming. Feed the bees!

G'Day friend. The silly things I notice. I watched ' Fistful of Dollars & ' For a Few Dollars More' for the umpteenth time yesterday, my faves, I never get bored with them, but one of the things I noticed, especially in For A few Dollars More, is when ' Indio'  & Colonel Mortimer ( Van Cleef)  are having a stand off, I noticed  'Indio' had a manicure, not even a speck of dirt on his nails . I didn't know bandits had manicures , LOL .  I love watching these westerns, especially love  the rigs they have.  I think Clint used the same rig in  every  early western he's done. 

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

. . . when ' Indio'  & Colonel Mortimer ( Van Cleef)  are having a stand off, I noticed  'Indio' had a manicure, not even a speck of dirt on his nails . I didn't know bandits had manicures , LOL .

Now I'm gonna have to watch that whole film again to find that!

15 minutes ago, fredk said:

Yeh man, its right at the end, the fob watch is playing a tune , and the ' when the music stops, ' its all on . You get a good look at 'Indios' hand . And even his nails on other fingers are all nice clean & even...and not a single speck of dirt, no  calluses, no   grease or grime from the guns.  And ' Mortimer' rides off into the sunset , as ' Manco' ( Clint) grabs the bag of cash stuck in the tree....with a wagon full of dead bodies. 

You could always fast forward to the end? 

Even in ' Hang Em' High' Bruce Derns teeth are perfect .Were dentists that good in the ' wild west' ?... .. hmmmm?  Just the silly things I notice  . Maybe I'm just a bit too observant ?? 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Yeh man, its right at the end, the fob watch is playing a tune , and the ' when the music stops, ' its all on .

Spoiler! :lol:

You could always fast forward to the end? 

No Way Hose-A. I need to see if he has clean hands earlier as well

Even in ' Hang Em' High' Bruce Derns teeth are perfect .Were dentists that good in the ' wild west' ?... .. hmmmm?  

Actually, yes. Western dentists, as well as English Victorian era dentists were good. Dentures were made of real human teeth, either from cadavers or from donations. As early as Roman times soldiers had a good a side-earner taking teeth from the battle dead and even from prisoners and selling them to denture makers. There was little wrong with most teeth in Victorian times, Very little sugar in the diet. Almost, the poorer you were the better your teeth were. Unlike today 

And you didn't want to complain about their dental work on you, especially to a certain one!

PS. Notice the guns? afair, just right for the period, Due to Clint. He is what is commonly called a 'history buff' He has always insisted that things are correct for the period in his films. Even to having an exactly correct copy of a newspaper in one of his films. Its seen on a table for about 1/2 second, but it is period correct

4 hours ago, fredk said:

:17:I'll probably watch all three of them lol. Clints hatband is widely copied by folks.

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day friend. The silly things I notice. I watched ' Fistful of Dollars & ' For a Few Dollars More' for the umpteenth time yesterday, my faves, I never get bored with them, but one of the things I noticed, especially in For A few Dollars More, is when ' Indio'  & Colonel Mortimer ( Van Cleef)  are having a stand off, I noticed  'Indio' had a manicure, not even a speck of dirt on his nails . I didn't know bandits had manicures , LOL .  I love watching these westerns, especially love  the rigs they have.  I think Clint used the same rig in  every  early western he's done. 

HS

lol I didn't catch that oh yea the Duke and Clint are my absolute favorite actors of all time.

our sunflowers finally bloomed  they must be 12 feet tall.

sunflower1.jpg

Sunflowers are awesome . Don't know much about them ,  I know the seeds get eaten,  but  think the petals can be eaten as well ? used as garnish, as a herb or in salads? 

All my firebreaks are nearly done. Just one little bit to go . Slashing isn't compulsory , but I do it anyway  for my own peace of mind. Bushfires are getting worse lately.  My ol' Fordson E 27  has performed beautifully  :)

HS

On 9/10/2023 at 6:23 AM, Handstitched said:

Sunflowers are awesome . Don't know much about them ,  I know the seeds get eaten,  but  think the petals can be eaten as well ? used as garnish, as a herb or in salads? 

All my firebreaks are nearly done. Just one little bit to go . Slashing isn't compulsory , but I do it anyway  for my own peace of mind. Bushfires are getting worse lately.  My ol' Fordson E 27  has performed beautifully  :)

HS

we will harvest the seeds if they reach maturity, first frost could be any day now.

Th garbanzo beans/ chic peas are awesome they make a nice crunchy snack.

On 9/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Th garbanzo beans/ chic peas are awesome they make a nice crunchy snack.

I'm a big fan of cashew nuts, been my fave since I was a kid. Might try a few spice recipes and roast them in the oven next time I get some, but they are a bit ex$y here in Oz . I don't eat too many  though , they can make me...um...go :blush: 

Sure glad I got all my fire breaks done early, we've just been hit with a huge storm today , it was almost cyclonic at one point.  Still raining heavily as I type.  No damage, &  all good . 

On 9/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, chuck123wapati said:

first frost could be any day now

This is what I love about Mother Nature so much , its starting to warm up here( despite a storm atm) , but its cooling down where you are .  In a few months time, our a***ses are going to get scorched , as you'll be having snow.  Its the changing of the seasons that I love and a huge respect for Mother Nature  :yes:

HS

Hey friend, hope all is well in your part of the universe  :)  I'll be giving my my piece of iron a birthday.But it ain't going to be cheap.  I've just ordered some spark plugs for my ol Fordson, hope you're sitting down...they are $40- ea online  from the east of Oz  and I need 4 of them . Some places charge up to $80 ea, so I was lucky.  Next, is around 50-60 ltrs  of oil for the transmission, hydraulics   and the engine.   The tractor was bequeathed  to me and it has provided me with some faithful service over the years  and its important to look after it  and to honour my late friend that gave it to me. 

If I ever win the lotteries, I'll get a new radiator core....deep breath, only available in the UK and they cost around the 600-700 Engilsh pounds, by the time it gets to Oz, around the $1200-$1300 mark, yikes. The one that I have is OK, but I have to be 'gentle' with it. 

So how is your set of wheels doing ? 

Hope you and yours are in good health  :)

HS

If I ever win the lotteries, I'll get a new radiator core....deep breath, only available in the UK and they cost around the 600-700 Engilsh pounds, by the time it gets to Oz, around the $1200-$1300 mark, yikes. The one that I have is OK, but I have to be 'gentle' with it.

Have you back-flushed it regularly?

40 minutes ago, fredk said:

Have you back-flushed it regularly?

My ol' Fordson is 1951 E27N   , its a bit beyond back flushing , and besides,  the cast iron  radiators on these beasts weigh  more than you and I combined. After I got the rebuilt water pump back on, I had to get a friend of mine to use his  small crane to put it back on ,,not a one person job. Its also a counter weight for the 3 point linkage. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Hey friend, hope all is well in your part of the universe  :)  I'll be giving my my piece of iron a birthday.But it ain't going to be cheap.  I've just ordered some spark plugs for my ol Fordson, hope you're sitting down...they are $40- ea online  from the east of Oz  and I need 4 of them . Some places charge up to $80 ea, so I was lucky.  Next, is around 50-60 ltrs  of oil for the transmission, hydraulics   and the engine.   The tractor was bequeathed  to me and it has provided me with some faithful service over the years  and its important to look after it  and to honour my late friend that gave it to me. 

So how is your set of wheels doing ? 

Hope you and yours are in good health  :)

HS

omg those are  some expensive plugs lol. But I'll bet parts for a new tractor would be just as expensive or even much more. Old iron is worth every penny and minute you

put into it. I just spent 2500 on a new electrical service for my house, a tree fell many years ago and bent the mast so the power lines were rubbing on my eaves. I have been without the ability to do much with electrical tools this summer so my knife making has suffered as well as my leather work. Our garden escaped a frost last night but any day we will be done gardening. AS fred says you can flush it and if it isnt leaking your good to go. My old burb is ready for hunting season but my camper is in need of repair. the front window has been leaking and has destroyed the wood frame, i have the skin peeled off now and todays chore is to rebuild the frame them reattach the skin. A

9 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

My ol' Fordson is 1951 E27N   , its a bit beyond back flushing , and besides,  the cast iron  radiators on these beasts weigh  more than you and I combined. After I got the rebuilt water pump back on, I had to get a friend of mine to use his  small crane to put it back on ,,not a one person job. Its also a counter weight for the 3 point linkage. 

HS

yeesh I didn't know that.

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

and i have taken up sketching again, man am i ever out of practice lol. hopefully I'll get better i plan on doing one every morning.

sunflower2.jpg

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I just spent 2500 on a new electrical service for my house, a tree fell many years ago and bent the mast so the power lines were rubbing on my eaves.

Is that the one that  also went through your window? .   Your sketching looks quite good actually , you're a man of many talents  :) I managed to get the radiator off myself to do the water pump, , but almost  dropped it, nearly broke my back and  almost gave myself a hernia all  at the same time. Silly thing to do that was :blush:.  Its just a heavy lump of cast iron with a few  gaps for the water to pass through , lol 

HS

lol you be careful haven't heard of the lever its the greatest invention ever. if its to big to move by your self then lever be and go get help. lol.. You had to pull the radiator to get to the water pump? it must be pretty tight clearances. I appreciate the compliment i have gotten a bit shaky hopefully i can get better. as time goes. 

years ago, 20+, a tree fell in my yard and tore out a fence smashed my canoe, took out part of my roof and bent the mast on my service. I was given bad info from the state electrical inspector at the time who said i would have to have my whole house electrical updated which would have been several thousands that I just didn't have so i have lived with the problem until this last year or two when the power lines started wearing on my eaves  causing a real dangerous problem. I have saved up all year got an estimate and was really relieved at the relatively small cost but damn am i pissed at that jerk that lied to me. I have missed a lot of sleep over this.

You had to pull the radiator to get to the water pump? it must be pretty tight clearances.

You bet. I've loaded a pic and highlighted  the water pump, you may have to zoom in  bit . Theres no way to get a spanner  between the radiator an the fan , I tried. The other pic shows the rad off the tractor, the bulk of the weight is the top tank . Everything is cast iron,  top tank, bottom tank and sides , all except the core.

but damn am i pissed at that jerk that lied to me.

Do you believe in karma? I do :yes:

I was recently asked to do  a quote for some trampoline pads,   my price $$$$$$$ ++ , online price $$ . He's a  regular customer,  his wife keeps me busy with horse rugs. I could not in all good conscience  charge him my price when its a fraction of the price online. He got back to me and said: "Thank you for your honest advice" .   My conscience is clear, and my reputation remains in tact , otherwise it would have bit me on the a**se at some point in  the future if I went ahead.

Your conscience is clear and you can now hopefully sleep soundly  :) As for the person that lied to you.....what goes around...;)

HS

Fordson Water pump Pic.gif

Fordson Major Water Pump replacement 6-June 2022 003.jpg