Sign in to follow this  
TheMighty4th

AMERICAN STRAIGHT NEEDLE INFO

I am looking at purchasing an American straight needle industrial sewing machine that is Available in my state. From the online pictures, it looks to be a bit dirty, but according to the posting, it “runs good”. I’m pretty sure I would like to have a needle and awl machine, as I stitch a lot of heavy leather, but I don’t know a ton about them. All I have had so far is a Chinese shoe patch machine, which I have tuned and modified so that it runs well (size 23 needle w/207 thread). The price is around $1000, so I assume it may need some work. Any info what to look for on mechanical issues, parts availability, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

21 minutes ago, TheMighty4th said:

I am looking at purchasing an American straight needle industrial sewing machine that is Available in my state. From the online pictures, it looks to be a bit dirty, but according to the posting, it “runs good”. I’m pretty sure I would like to have a needle and awl machine, as I stitch a lot of heavy leather, but I don’t know a ton about them. All I have had so far is a Chinese shoe patch machine, which I have tuned and modified so that it runs well (size 23 needle w/207 thread). The price is around $1000, so I assume it may need some work. Any info what to look for on mechanical issues, parts availability, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

They make a nice looking stitch like all needle & awl machines do BUT you'll have problems trying to find parts if it needs any.I'd say the price is alittle high since it needs work.It only has a 4" workspace to the right of the needle.

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

I’m pretty sure I would like to have a needle and awl machine, as I stitch a lot of heavy leather, but I don’t know a ton about them.

Needle and awl machines are not for beginners unless the seller will instruct you before you take the machine. I speak from experience.

The American SN isn't a good choice for general leather work. You'd be better off with a Campbell-Randall, or Landis 3 or 16. These machines typically sell for about 2.5 to 3k as is, or 5k rebuilt. Again, I would not buy one unless the seller gave me the basic how to-s and included necessary tools and accessories. Machines like these have been out of production since the middle of the 20th Century.

I've owned an American Straight Needle.   I purchased mine from the original owner straight out of his shoe shop when he retired for around $500 about 22 years ago.  It was like brand new and sewed perfectly.  I agree with everything said above:  

Needle and awl does indeed make a beautiful stitch. 

The only way you should even entertain this notion is if you have someone experienced that can work on the machine and help you and you are willing to pay them what it takes when you have problems. 

I wouldn't want to be looking for parts today.

Make sure you completely understand how that small throat area will, or will not, affect the work you intend to do.  

If I wanted another I would hold out for, as Wiz said, a Campbell-Randall or Landis 3/16.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:00 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Needle and awl machines are not for beginners unless the seller will instruct you before you take the machine. I speak from experience.

The American SN isn't a good choice for general leather work. You'd be better off with a Campbell-Randall, or Landis 3 or 16. These machines typically sell for about 2.5 to 3k as is, or 5k rebuilt. Again, I would not buy one unless the seller gave me the basic how to-s and included necessary tools and accessories. Machines like these have been out of production since the middle of the 20th Century.

Do you have any suggestions for another single needle machine that would be easier? I’m not so much worried about the depth of the throat, as the wides thing I’ve done this far was a bible cover. I mostly make holsters, belts, and saps. I was mainly looking at the needle and awl type of machine because the saps I make are three layers of 10-11 oz, or four layers of 8-9 oz. I know that is beyond the capability of a lot of leather stitching machines. I may just be out of luck. I have one of the Chinese shoe patchers that works pretty well, but it can’t sew that thick, and I don’t want to get something like a tippman boss, and be right back in the hand-crank boat.

2 hours ago, TheMighty4th said:

Do you have any suggestions for another single needle machine that would be easier? I’m not so much worried about the depth of the throat, as the wides thing I’ve done this far was a bible cover. I mostly make holsters, belts, and saps. I was mainly looking at the needle and awl type of machine because the saps I make are three layers of 10-11 oz, or four layers of 8-9 oz.

There are a couple of machines that can handle up to 36 ounces. The primary ones I think of are the Cowboy cb3500 and cb4500, the Cobra Class 3 and Class 4 and the Techsew 5100. There is also the option of a manually operated stitcher like the Cowboy Outlaw.

@Wizcrafts I am new to sewing machines.  I have only owned a cobbler machine from China.  It was not pretty.  I do have the opportunity (going to look at it this afternoon) to purchase an American Straight Stitcher for $500.  I am told it works well and looks to be in good shape from the pictures.  I think it is owned by its 3rd owner.  I will mainly sew sheaths, belts, and holsters on it.  thoughts?

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

I do have the opportunity (going to look at it this afternoon) to purchase an American Straight Stitcher for $500. 

The price maybe right but getting parts well that maybe questionable / expensive. If you can stretch your budget a bit I would look at the Tippman Boss for $1000 US. If you need parts they are readily available and if decide you need to later on move to a motorized machine you should be able to get most of your money back.

kgg

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

@Wizcrafts I am new to sewing machines.  I have only owned a cobbler machine from China.  It was not pretty.  I do have the opportunity (going to look at it this afternoon) to purchase an American Straight Stitcher for $500.  I am told it works well and looks to be in good shape from the pictures.  I think it is owned by its 3rd owner.  I will mainly sew sheaths, belts, and holsters on it.  thoughts?

First, ask the seller if it comes with some extra needles, awls and bobbins. If no extras, does it at least have those in the machine now?

For parts, contact Lisa Sorrell or else, Southern Leather.  I see that Zach White also has ASN needles for sale. You may also be able to locate some prewound bobbins somewhere.

It's always a gamble buying discontinued machinery. If you are able to find parts and accessories at all they may cost a lot more than you'd expect.

If you buy the machine, here is a video describing the threading and setup of an American Straight Needle machine.