327fed

NFO on Bible Cover

My sister in law asked me to make a leather cover for her compact “car console bible”. I usually dye stuff, then neatsfoot oil, then Mop and  Glo. I worry that the oil will stain the Bible. Anybody tried the oil in a book cover, or just dye and seal? 

Why not use leather that's already pre-dyed and avoid all trouble? Chevre should be just the thing for a Bible.

Really don’t have any predyed available, but that’s a good idea. Well, I had some predyed chrome tan, but it’s mighty soft for this. Good leather is hard to get these days. 

Edited by 327fed

Certainly don't put any NFO on. It will leach out and stain the Bible. Just dye and M&G should be enough

I made a veg tan leather cover that I absolutely soaked in dubbin.  It has been on my bible now for I don't know, 4 years or so.  It's been inside, so no heat from the car, but nothing has gotten into the bible.  Of course, ymmv.  Lining the thing with something like Chevre like Hardrada mentioned would really alleviate any concerns.

YinTx

Thanks. I’ll ditch the dye.

Can you post a picture of the result unless it’s not accessible?