riy

Blade advice/Identification

30 minutes ago, Frodo said:

005.JPG

what was that blade you sent me? It rocks !!

18 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

Industrial Knife Handle With Two Blades

man that's way to easy lol.

20 hours ago, MikeRock said:

It looks like a single edge razor blade.......but what do I know.  Haven't shaved since the 1970's.

God bless

Yup! Last time I scraped my face was January 1976.

2 hours ago, riy said:

@TomE I always forget to mention that I'm a southpaw when asking about edged tools. You just saved me from dropping $25 on a JLK I might have poor luck with. The Osborne 67 seems like a good option - surprisingly well-priced too.

Like all Osborne tools of late, the #67 will require a fair amount of sharpening.  I find that after I spend the time shaping and sharpening they are good tools - just not completely finished at the factory.  This cheap knife is the one I resharpened last night and it works surprisingly well https://www.amazon.com/BANYOUR-Leather-Cutting-Working-Leathercraft/dp/B07LD4PC2D/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07LD4PC2D&psc=1.  See the Harry Rogers video on cheap skiving knife.

3 hours ago, riy said:

I don't own a skiver yet, but now I'm wondering if the replacement blades are just repackaged (and upcharged) injector razor blades.

When Chipster99 posted that link to the razor blades I too was wondering if the blades are the same. We need someone to compare the two blades. afaik that type of razor is not sold in N.I. but I'll have a look for it

If the blades are the same then we need to compare prices. Currently I'm buying in a stock (about 30 or 40 a time) direct from China. They are working out at about £0.41 each (about 50c each) This is a lot dearer than I used to get them. Then they were about £0.25 each (about 30c each) I wish I knew how to sharpen them tho

btw, get the Super Skiver its dead easy to use, also get a Safety Beveller, easy to use too but the S/S is better

Avoid a small 'skiver' that uses double sided razor blades. Its actually a foot corn remover and as a skiver it is crap - yes, I bought two and have tried them. Fortunately they were cheap as chips

22 hours ago, sbrownn said:

I think part of the attraction of disposable blades is the avoidance of sharpening.  I use both disposable and knives I sharpen myself but I never found the need to sharpen a new disposable blade. 

I've never counted stropping as sharpening really. To each their own I guess. A stropped edge glides so much easier.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I've never counted stropping as sharpening really. To each their own I guess. A stropped edge glides so much easier.

Does stropping make the blade sharper?  I guess it depends on your definition of sharp but IMHO it is definitely sharpening.

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

your paying for more bling than function there IMO, Frodo  sent me a really awesome little Japanese blade that only cost a few bucks. i think expensive steel has its place for sure but i doubt it would be cost effective to sell with so much cheaper competition. Most folks start on the cheap as a hobby and by the time they decide to make it permanent already have the cheaper tools bought.

The handle accepts all sorts of blades and I have found it to be very useful.

11 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Does stropping make the blade sharper?  I guess it depends on your definition of sharp but IMHO it is definitely sharpening.

The handle accepts all sorts of blades and I have found it to be very useful.

if you like it that what counts,:) I like some bling too lol I make my own.

skive5.JPG

23 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

what was that blade you sent me? It rocks !!

Mine is still sharp, I strop it  every time i use it,  it ie great for long straight cuts

.-

18 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Take a dull blade to a strop vs hones. Sure, it's all grit removing material but you get from the point of making something have an edge (sharpening) to polishing that edge (stropping). So while theoretically you could strop a blade to sharp after years of passes, you can keep an existing sharp blade polished with a strop much easier. You do you though. Whatever works for you, works.