Barron

Work request - Rucksack for Prospecting.

Hello!  I do gold prospecting / panning recreationally and often end up with my hands rather full. My truck just cannot go everywhere I wish. (Dang rivers!)

So, I was searching online for a good ruck sack that can fit a 5 gallon bucket and a sluice on the inside, and then on the outside have like 3 large pockets to put misc stuff, and of course a spot for my gold pans! (I can also throw some of that into the bucket with a few other things but would prefer it on the outside, for the vibe). However, none appear to exist. I've seen pictures of ice fishing backpacks that can carry just a bucket, or modified backpacks that can carry pans and some tools. But nothing that really keeps my hands free at all times so I can climb / maneuver if needed, and the last thing I want is to have to pick between dropping my bucket I'm holding full of misc tools or fall on my toosh or worse!

Here are a few links to better show what I have/plan on putting in it.

1. https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-Gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613 (Bucket 14" x 13") (Inside)
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Sluice-Fox-Folding-Aluminum-Panning/dp/B09CX31NFQ/ (sluice, 4.25"x 9.25" x 15") (Inside)
  3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0671244175 (Rock identification book, 4.5" x 1.1" x 7.5") (Inside pocket)
  4. https://garrett.com/sport/pro-pointer/pro-pointer-at (Garret carrot, 9.5" x 2.5") (Outside individual pocket)
  5. https://www.amazon.com/uvBeast-NEW-Black-Light-Flashlight/dp/B07TQKY1GC/ (UV Flashlight 9.5" x 2.5") (Outside individual pocket)
  6. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KN9X8F (Snuffer bottle 5" x 2" x 2") (Outside individual pocket)
  7. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTY8DH7 (Gold Pan, 14" Diameter) (Outside attachment / pocket with #8)
  8. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089OKEUK (1/2 Classifier, 19" x 14") (Outside attachment / pocket with #7)
  9. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002OVCMO (Rock hammer, 13" x 7" x 1.25") (Outside loop, vertical)
  10. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-28-in-D-Grip-Short-Wood-Handle-Steel-Digging-Shovel-77470-938/314833737 (Shovel, 40.39" L x 8.19" W x 5.12 H) (Outside Loop, horizontal placement on top?) 

Those are the main items that require space / individual pockets. Other items could be put into a few large pockets on the outside (pocket on each side + back), probably two pockets on the side and one larger pocket on the back should do it. Kind of like the images I uploaded but a mix breed between them.

I believe leather would make it the most durable over a cloth or a canvas bag, but do not mind some conglomerate between where reasonable. Let me know what you think and if the reason they're just not done is because it would be dumb!  

Thanks! (Oh and I'm sure giving a price quote would be unreasonable as you probably can't tell time + material costs but if you think you can give a rough idea on what I should set aside I'd appreciate it!)

Email: As shown on my profile.

images.jpg

il_340x270.3885620410_ci9d.jpg

MMKR-M3-1_720x720.jpg

Edited by Barron
Adding contact.

I suggest that you buy a backpack that comes close to your requirements, then take it to a leathercrafter or upholsterer who can disassemble it, cover the most important areas with upholstery or thin chap leather, then sew it back together. Additional compartments could be added before reassembly. The leather and labor will probably come close to the price of the backpack if done by a professional. When customers ask me to do this kind of work I've learned to say NO.

i used to use an older (70S era) back pack frame it had a metal bar on the bottom that folded down to support a sleeping bag i would tie on my sluice box first then load it up inside with odds and ends then. use the straps across the sluice box to tie on my bucket and anything that didn't fit in the sluice box.

I also was thinking of a design similar to a ww1 model 1910 haversack which you could adapt to an external frame, their design makes them well suited for many different loads but they are small. you would need to design a larger size and i would suggest heavy canvas over leather as it is lighter and dries easier. 

That third packsack is almost exactly what we used to use for canoeing during the 1970's!  The only difference is it lacks the tumpline and the extra long straps, which could be adjusted to take bigger loads, then cinched tight as the trip went on and you ate your food. The top of the pack would be rolled down, and the leather straps still fastened tight as they had lots of holes in them. 

I am sure similar packs are still available, though now they would likely be made of ripstop nylon.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

That third packsack is almost exactly what we used to use for canoeing during the 1970's!  The only difference is it lacks the tumpline and the extra long straps, which could be adjusted to take bigger loads, then cinched tight as the trip went on and you ate your food. The top of the pack would be rolled down, and the leather straps still fastened tight as they had lots of holes in them. 

I am sure similar packs are still available, though now they would likely be made of ripstop nylon.

Yeah, I've seen a few that are some what close to what I need but the largest ones are just slightly small to fit what I need and don't have pockets, like giant hobo bags essentially. I, for the life of me, cannot find a large enough ruck sack made from leather. The largest are always cloth or cloth with canvas or leather bottoms. Really want something durable. Going to head to a place in Oregon later this week when I get out on the river and see what I can find at a leatherworker there.

The ones we used had plenty of pockets - most important being a transparent map pocket to keep your map from getting wet while paddling! :)  But yeah, only the bottom and straps were leather.

I really can't see anyone being able to do this without having the things you are planning to put in the pack available to them. The chances of messing up the measurements are just too high.

I like Wiz's idea of buying something that comes close to your requirements, then having a leatherworker add to it. I'm also not too keen on having all that leather on the outside of the pack. It's difficult to completely waterproof leather, and when it gets wet, it would add to the weight of the pack. I really think heavy duty waxed canvas is a better choice. That's what my club used for canoeing, and some of those packs had to be at least 20 years old. The leather straps were always the first thing to break, not the canvas.  Leather does not do well when it is repeatedly getting wet. 

Edit: I see Chuck and I are of the same mind re. the leather getting wet!

Another afterthought: putting the shove on top of the pack is a bad idea. It would stick out too much and catch on bushes and rocks. It would have to go either on the side or the back of the pack. Since your bucket is wider than the shovel. I'd probably put it on the side, as having it on the back means it would be in the way when you needed to get something out of the pack.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

14 hours ago, Barron said:

Yeah, I've seen a few that are some what close to what I need but the largest ones are just slightly small to fit what I need and don't have pockets, like giant hobo bags essentially. I, for the life of me, cannot find a large enough ruck sack made from leather. The largest are always cloth or cloth with canvas or leather bottoms. Really want something durable. Going to head to a place in Oregon later this week when I get out on the river and see what I can find at a leatherworker there.

might look at these https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/ausablebrandtrappershardwoodveneerpackbasket20.aspx

or this  https://loadup.com/swiss-salt-pepper-rucksack-backpack-large.html

or this  https://www.armysurplusworld.com/new-us-gi-duffle-bag-genuine-us-military-surplus-duffel

My claim was about a mile from any road with just a game trail, my setup worked well. I have the salt and pepper rucksack it is a tank and will hold up for years if you want i can put my pans and one of my small sluices and shoot  in it and shoot some pics so you can tell if it would work. 

14 hours ago, Barron said:

here ya go it has my sluice and three pans it would be super easy for any good leather worker to add more pockets or just strap loops on the outside for more stuff, its an internal frame and is tougher than nails! 

pack10.JPG

pack11.JPG

That looks promising! Yeah, easy to add extra pockets to that. Same goes for the wooden pack baskets.

Barron and Sheilajeanne,

THE canoeing pack was a big Bergen's Rucksack.  Ideal for this prospecting equipment. 

Stick with waxed canvas with leather on the bottom and at some stress points.  Plenty tough unless one is unnecessarily brutal to their stuff.  We prospected all over eastern Wyoming, even where Chuck lives.  Feldspars and quartz deposits, pegmatites.  Flying and packing, horses and on foot, never wore out those packs.  

All leather is too heavy, just not ideal for either afoot or horseback.

God bless

28 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Barron and Sheilajeanne,

THE canoeing pack was a big Bergen's Rucksack.  Ideal for this prospecting equipment. 

Stick with waxed canvas with leather on the bottom and at some stress points.  Plenty tough unless one is unnecessarily brutal to their stuff.  We prospected all over eastern Wyoming, even where Chuck lives.  Feldspars and quartz deposits, pegmatites.  Flying and packing, horses and on foot, never wore out those packs.  

All leather is too heavy, just not ideal for either afoot or horseback.

God bless

Damn that water is coooold in the spring time up high !!!! LOL

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

here ya go it has my sluice and three pans it would be super easy for any good leather worker to add more pockets or just strap loops on the outside for more stuff, its an internal frame and is tougher than nails! 

pack10.JPG

pack11.JPG

Judging from the color, Swedish  Milserp  

17 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Judging from the color, Swedish  Milserp  

yup!  we've been many a mile together. I reconditioned all the leather about a year ago

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup!  we've been many a mile together. I reconditioned all the leather about a year ago

LOL...I love that color.  

to the op

I will make your Back pack.  To the dimensions that you have provided

using 9oz veg tan for the bottom, back panel  and shoulder straps.   4/5 oz for the rest

My price is $600.00 usd  half up front and the Balance the day I ship to you

Any changes in the dimensions or additions after deposit is made will be charged at shop T&M price

Pm for my phone number and we can talk or face time

Yup Chuck,

Cold and wet!  We were up there when the Basque shepherds were moving flocks to the mountain meadows.  We were heading up too, in our old Dodge Powerwagon....  finally said to hell with it and pulled over and set up camp.  When we met up with them on top, they had moved two herds of 10,000 sheep each that week.  Good old boys, we spent a few nights in their camp up on top.  Mutton, potatoes and wine..... 

Good country, back in 1968'ish.  You could see forever and touch the stars at night....  good times.  Except for that damned wine....  monumental headache......  Staked a bunch of claims up there for quartz and spar.  Found some gem quality beryl too.  Still have a Bull Durham sack of good gemmy stuff.

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

LOL...I love that color.  

to the op

I will make your Back pack.  To the dimensions that you have provided

using 9oz veg tan for the bottom, back panel  and shoulder straps.   4/5 oz for the rest

My price is $600.00 usd  half up front and the Balance the day I ship to you

Any changes in the dimensions or additions after deposit is made will be charged at shop T&M price

Pm for my phone number and we can talk or face time

Sent you a message. Hopefully not to much of a hassle! Thanks