Sign in to follow this  
Romey

Sheath is butterfly style pouch

Latest knife and sheath for a professional hunter in Texas.

Knife is High carbon steel, wrought iron fittings and mesquite burl handle.

Knife pic

Knife pic 2

Cal_Good7.jpg

post-128-1194071512_thumb.jpg

Beautifuly done.The tan color is great, & the stiching is also great.

Is that hand stitched? What color dye did you use.

Just great looking.

Keep up the good work,

Peter I. craftsman827

Elegance Romey, True elegance.

Very nice indeed Romey. The handle is especially nice, I really like that wood.

Ken

Yes, that is a stunning bit of work there, Romey. Now, it looks like you built up the thickness of the sheath to allow the handle to fit inside, too. . . I'm thinking maybe it's something like two or three strips of thick veg-tan the width of the border glued and then sewn on top of each other all around the edge. . .? How is that done?

Anyway, it all looks very fine to me. :D

L'Bum

Thank you all. Yes its hand stitched with linen thread. The sheath has a welt in it, this case a welt and a half as i needed slightly more room, its carefully skived. Generally i want no more welt then the thickness of the blade. Im not sure if im sold on the black edge kote yet.

The leather is predye wickett and craig double shoulder and the absoloute only way to go in my opinion.

This would be my "free with the knife sheath" though i did it butterfly style just cause i wanted to. The main thing i care is that it fits GOOD, can turn it upside down and shake it all day long and it wont fall out but your thumb and forfinger can pull it easily out.

Anyway its just oil finished after that, had zero sun out the day i oiled it or i would have gotten better color out of it but its Montana in october, lucky it comes out at all.

Edited by Romey

Latest knife and sheath for a professional hunter in Texas.

Knife is High carbon steel, wrought iron fittings and mesquite burl handle.

Knife pic

Knife pic 2

Wow! I think I might have to order one of your blades, It's absolutely stunning.

wow that really is an insaine knife! i worked at a high end flooring manifacturer, and we delt with all types of exotic woods. I really like that handle! I made a couple edge slickers from wenge and one from ipe. I really like that knife the more I look at it!

Well thank you folks, The only thing I fault myself with was the border stamping but after doing this I was sat down with a good friend of mine who builds some seriously nice saddles and he schooled me with a few pointers and sorta made the dim light in my head turn on so my next one should be better yet as far as the stamping is concerned. Like I said the most imprtant thing to me is the fit. Here is another shot of the sheath and the fit.

Calfinish2.JPG

post-128-1194281187_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry i didn't see this sooner but thank you for posting it,,I like the clasic look to the entire rig :thumbsup:

Question Romey...on your sheath, does the welt follow along the contour of the stitching on both sides of the blade?

Nice work Romey, on both the knife and sheath. Rayban, I make that sheath design often and yes the welt folllows up the other side as well then is ski ved at the end. Dave :thumbsup:

Yes everwhere you see the stitching is welt. The idea of a butterfly pouch sheath is to make a much more accurate fit to the blade and hence doubley secure fit. As any leather wears , its going to stretch due to use, rain weather ect. So the better the welt follows the contour of the blade the better the fit will last, I HOPE. This is my first butterfly sheath by the way, generally for this style I do a regular pouch style but certian blade shapes warrent this style over a standard pouch so I figured I may as well start here.

The one thing I hate more then anything is a loose or ill fitting sheath. I guide hunters in the fall and one time I got into a wreck horseback and as horse and I fell the knife came out landing next to me. This was no close call but it could have been a death sentance had I landed on it. Looks is one thing and I know Im still in learning of stamping and such but the first thing I made sure I learned was how to make a VERY secure sheath.