Sign in to follow this  
DonLawson84

Green as can be

New to the craft and no nothing about sewing (other than what I watched in videos).  Wanted to get a machine so I can make boat canvas, boat upholstery, auto upholstery and couch covers for myself over the next few years.  While researching machines, I kept coming across this forum as being most informative and user friendly.  

My machine - Omega 280L, seems to be the same as a Nakajima 280L or a Juki DNU-241.  I never thought I would be so excited to get a sewing machine, feels like having a new dirtbike in my pole barn.  

I plan to buy piping foot set, a few different size binders, suspended edge guide, extra bobbins, hot knife, foam cutter, staple removers and magnetic sewing guide.

Any other tools or parts anyone here recommends getting to make my jobs easier?  I am pasting a like to the Google photos of my machine.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPDBNRgFBSABc61TIY64KL2REqy8JqFjt85XKZ74bEl9k4mcToO4IKZ-jZQAnJ0Iw/photo/AF1QipPoTUxjR7zvCkchdzvLD7A-hA6vPXQD6WDs19Ng?key=ZUdPSzhsalRFdjlvaUpuaWhoNG9nbGZNcHBGZjJR

The machine powers on and runs good along with the needle gap set right.  

The plate under the presser foot is bent / not formed straight (see photo in link)  Is the plate designed that way or is it worn out / bent?

1st and second photo top right, there is some type of bracket and I do not see where it mounts.  What is that for?

Edited by DonLawson84

@DonLawson84 Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines.

Please post your photos here rather than 3rd party hosting.  Photos on 3rd party hosts seem to disappear now and then due to problems with the host changing the rules, and because the person who posted the photos moved or deleted them.  Lost photos destroy the integrity f the post making  the thread useless to others in the future.

I wish you good luck.  And I'm sure you'll get some good advice on machines from knowledgeable folks here.  I know nothing about sewing machines except what I see posted here, which is they sure aren't perfect.  There's a learning curve.  You have a formidable task ahead.  I hope you experience success.

That bracket is a belt guard probably mounts on the end of machine,you don't need it.We have the needle plate in stock if you need one.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, DonLawson84 said:

My machine - Omega 280L, seems to be the same as a Nakajima 280L or a Juki DNU-241.  I never thought I would be so excited to get a sewing machine, feels like having a new dirtbike in my pole barn.  

Dirt Bikes and Pole Barns? Are you sure you're a native of Delaware?

17 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Dirt Bikes and Pole Barns? Are you sure you're a native of Delaware?

Yes, growing up me had nothing but farms and railroad tracks which make a great combination for riding.  Now that they developed 80% of those farms, I just ride on my property.  About the polebarn; my garage is only 22x22, extra room was necessary and a polebarn was the best option

Edited by DonLawson84