Hello there

I am new to the forums but have been sewing in fabrics and leather for a long time. I recently was given a singer 136w110 as a gift for my birthday. It was shipped and the carrier, fedex, did not do a good job packing it or being careful with it. I am unsure if the issue i am currently concerned with was there before shipping or after but the box it came in was very beat up. The needle broke in shipping and today as i was inspecting some things as i work to figure out a table and motor for it i noticed that when i turn the balance wheel it has a wobble to it. It’s pretty distinct and there is more resistance in the turn at part of the wobble. I can’t tell if the wheel itself is bent or if the shaft it is spinning is what is bent. I wanted to start by removing the wheel but i can’t figure out how to do that. There are two set screws that i removed but then there is what looks like a very big flat head screw on the end. I can’t get that to turn or loosen. I think i might need parts once i am able to get the handwheel off so any help with information or tips on how to work on this machine as well as where to find parts for it would be amazing! 

Thanks so much

2 hours ago, Babbinaleather said:

It was shipped and the carrier, fedex, did not do a good job packing it or being careful with it.

FEDEX did the packaging or the sender? Packaging usually is up to the sender. Packing up sewing machines is often underestimated. It requires a serious good packaging and a lot more than just a heavy carton and some foam flakes or bubble foil. It´s easy to blame the shipping Co. but from my experience 99% of the time the mistake is in the poor packaging which (as I said) is often underestimated. Heavy and bulky  items like sewing machine require a different packaging than f.i. a cell phone or an electric drill. Logistics today is not the that postman carries 1 package from A  to B and takes care of it all the time. Shipping starts with proper packaging and that is up to the sender. Proper packaging require that a box can be dropped from 1 meter (at least) without damaging the goods inside the box (some Co. even say 2 meters afaik).... I could continue. BTW - I do not work for any shipping co but I have shipped packages around the world in all possible sizes and weights.

Most likely the top shaft is bent. You can try to bend it back but you most likely will never be 100% straight again. You could ask a professional to do that but it most likely will costs more than the machine (incl. disassembling and reassembling, timing...)

The screw on the end of the shaft is for adjusting the horizontal play and the further you turn it it the more the hand wheel pushes against the machine casting. So remove that screw and remove the 2 set screws and if the hand wheel is seized / gummed on the shaft you may need a larger gear puller for removing the hand wheel.

To be honest I can’t be sure about who did the packaging, i was told it was the carrier but I wasn’t there so its hard to say. In the end it doesn’t matter, what does is that there is a problem and i need to figure out how to fix it! I will try those things you mentioned, yesterday when i tried to remove the large screw on the end of the shaft i couldn’t really get it to work but i will keep trying. Any suggestion on the best way to get it undone. It is basically a very large flat head and nothing i have really fits well in the slot. Is there a special tool for such a large flat head screw. I recall a small coin like thing i used to have for removing certain screws on an old baby lock i had. 

46 minutes ago, Babbinaleather said:

Any suggestion on the best way to get it undone. It is basically a very large flat head and nothing i have really fits well in the slot. Is there a special tool for such a large flat head screw.

I would try either a light soaking of the screw with a couple drops of diesel or some synthetic oil for a day or so and then hit the screw with some heat in a safe place. When you have heated the head I would give the screw a couple of light taps with a hammer before trying to turn the screw. I wouldn't be too aggressive as you may shear the head off. If you can get a turn, even a quarter of a turn let it cool then reapply a couple drops of diesel or some synthetic oil again for a day or so. There is probably a proper wrench but as a suggestion if a coin fits in the slot of the screw head I would cut or grind down the coin down too get the most metal into the slot of the screw head and then clamp the coin in a pair of vise grips.

Since the handwheel is wobbling I would like Constabulary think it would be best to replace the bent shaft rather then trying to re-straight it once you get the handwheel off. Also check the body for cracks or fractures as a result of the impact that cause the problem.

kgg

Thanks for the advice i will try those things!

A little heat from a propane torch - just enough so a drop of water will boil - and the old dried up oil will let go and a good fitting screw driver should get it to turn.

Unfortunately, the shaft is most likely bent, and the handwheel may be bent as well, although the handwheel design is pretty tough.

The shaft bends relatively easily and a block of wood to cushion a hammer blow will bend it back, but you run the risk of making things worse and cracking the handwheel, or housing, or who knows what else depending on how and where it’s hit.  I’ve done it, but wouldn’t do it for someone else in case something breaks in the process.

A $30 dial indicator and holder is all you need to see how well it’s going, but a wire finger just touching the handwheel should also show changes in the wobble.  It’s very easy to overshoot what’s straight.

Of course the proper way to fix it is remove the shaft and straighten with a press.

You probably want to put a straight edge on the bed - if it was crushed at all a bend or crack will start just in front of the vertical portion of the head and that causes rotational lumps since the lower shaft would also be bent.

Good luck - let us know what you end up doing to fix it

3 hours ago, DonInReno said:

A little heat from a propane torch - just enough so a drop of water will boil - and the old dried up oil will let go and a good fitting screw driver should get it to turn.

Unfortunately, the shaft is most likely bent, and the handwheel may be bent as well, although the handwheel design is pretty tough.

The shaft bends relatively easily and a block of wood to cushion a hammer blow will bend it back, but you run the risk of making things worse and cracking the handwheel, or housing, or who knows what else depending on how and where it’s hit.  I’ve done it, but wouldn’t do it for someone else in case something breaks in the process.

A $30 dial indicator and holder is all you need to see how well it’s going, but a wire finger just touching the handwheel should also show changes in the wobble.  It’s very easy to overshoot what’s straight.

Of course the proper way to fix it is remove the shaft and straighten with a press.

You probably want to put a straight edge on the bed - if it was crushed at all a bend or crack will start just in front of the vertical portion of the head and that causes rotational lumps since the lower shaft would also be bent.

Good luck - let us know what you end up doing to fix it

I have access to a pretty outfitted metal shop, i will try to see if there is a press i can use there to try and get things straightened out once i get it all detached. Have you worked with this particular machine ever? I would love to talk more to anyone who has experience with the singer 136w110 as after this part is straightened out i feel there will most likely be more timing and adjustment issues to work out since it seems like things probably are a bit jammed from whatever happened in the shipping.

I’ve never worked on that model, but there many guys in here who have.  Makes sense to check all the adjustments - it’s had a number of decades of people knowledgeable and not messing with it. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, Babbinaleather said:

To be honest I can’t be sure about who did the packaging, i was told it was the carrier but I wasn’t there so its hard to say. In the end it doesn’t matter, what does is that there is a problem and i need to figure out how to fix it! I will try those things you mentioned, yesterday when i tried to remove the large screw on the end of the shaft i couldn’t really get it to work but i will keep trying. Any suggestion on the best way to get it undone. It is basically a very large flat head and nothing i have really fits well in the slot. Is there a special tool for such a large flat head screw. I recall a small coin like thing i used to have for removing certain screws on an old baby lock i had. 

I know this won't help this machine BUT if you or anyone else ready this ever has a machine shipped it's always best to take the handwheel off when shipping,because a hit on the box from any angle can bend the shaft & or break the handle wheel.

Thanks bob. It’s good to know for the future and if anyone has ideas of where to find handwheel or shaft for this particular machine id love to know! 

6 hours ago, Babbinaleather said:

Thanks bob. It’s good to know for the future and if anyone has ideas of where to find handwheel or shaft for this particular machine id love to know! 

Your in luck,I found  a supplier that has them in stock,give me a call to order.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:57 AM, CowboyBob said:

Your in luck,I found  a supplier that has them in stock,give me a call to order.

Oh wonderful. Once i get the machine apart i will be in touch. I have a few other things next in line but i am very happy to hear there are parts out there for this machine. Thank you!