Svey302

SSM-ATHINA CK-563 (clone of Juki 563)

Good day,

I have been looking for a while to get a walking foot sewing machine suitable for leatherwork. 

This machine which I believe is either a clone or rebranded of the Juki 563 is for sale in my region (Montreal, Canada) for a 695$ cdn.

From the worn paint, the machine looks well used, I went to see it work with some sample of leather is use for hand sewing. 

Should I pass on that machine and spend a little more at a local used sewing machine shops? or go with this machine and hope for the best?

Tx for any input.

Yves

322923491_5808054225937683_2187758512355814012_n.jpg

322803389_6130899603640824_396810265092604039_n.jpg

322781358_5982657535089148_8338814891111978980_n.jpg

24 minutes ago, Svey302 said:

This machine which I believe is either a clone or rebranded of the Juki 563 is for sale in my region (Montreal, Canada) for a 695$ cdn.

If it was a Juki 563 that would be roughly the price to be expected for a used one over here in Ontario, Canada. They tend to range from $500 to $1000 depending on condition. For a well used clone I wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount. If it was in the $350 mark, maybe but you have to be prepared for those little unexpected potentially expensive problems. Since this is your first machine I would suggest you go to one of the dealers / repair shops and there a few in the Montreal area to get a machine that has been gone over and in working order.

kgg

Tx kgg,

I am leaning in the same direction you are sugesting.

Yves

17 minutes ago, Svey302 said:

I am leaning in the same direction you are sugesting.

Just my thoughts. What are you planning on making as a flatbed may not be the proper or best machine for your needs/wants. Also what is your budget.

kgg

My needs/wants that is a difficult question.

At the moment, I am only assembling leather by hand (saddle stitching). I would like to explore something else. Wallets, belts, messenger bags. 

I also own a 2 sailboats so I could also do my canvas work (at the moment, we have an old juki at the yacht club that I can use.)

Edited by Svey302

1 hour ago, Svey302 said:

I would like to explore something else. Wallets, belts, messenger bags. 

I would suggest you consider something like a cylinder bed machine like Juki LS-341 or LS-1341 or clone with a table top attachment. The flatbed machines are good for wallets / belts but the bags are probably better done on cylinder bed. Having a cylinder bed machine with a table top attachment would cover all the bases.

kgg

Tx KGG,

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. I will try to see one working locally. 

Yves

6 hours ago, Svey302 said:

Tx KGG,

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. I will try to see one working locally. 

Yves

Techsew, a division of Raphael Sewing is in your city. Techsew is a leather sewing machine brand. There are several cylinder arm models in their lineup. I have a Techsew 2700 cylinder arm walking foot machine that came with a table attachment. It is a good light to medium duty sewer. I have used #138 thread in it, but #69 and #92 works better.

The biggest risk with clones nobody has ever heard of in this condition, is that the parts were never great to begin with and it’s been used in a production shop until it is worn to the point it doesn’t sew correctly.   Some clones are as good as the machine it’s a copy of, that doesn’t appear to be the highest quality just based on the shortcuts taken on the fit and finish of the components.   I’d say it’s only worth $100 if it sews ok, unless it can be shown to have good quality components in very good condition, then I’d not suggest paying over $200.  

Following advices from more experienced members, I am now looking for a cylinder arm machine. I have spoken to Techsew, the 2750 is 4k cdn. I am thinking about it. Mostly because I will need to save another 2k to purchase it.

This one has come up for sale locally for 980$ cdn

Pfaff 345

From the seller:

the machine is in good order of working just be serviced and the shuttle hook is new...i doing bags canvas, pvc ,cordura ,and webbing she's set with NM 130 needle and nylon thread 69 ...the Bobin can't take more than 138 threads so you can't saw leathers thicker 3/16 .

Even if I have never sewn leather by machine before, I think the 3/16 max thickness is not enough.

a8e7ccbf-7836-48f5-b7fb-eb0b34c380ab.jpg

cded586e-9510-48e5-97ce-796e7d1d09d8.jpg

b0ccb046-cc52-4f0b-ad7d-d7682d7e0807.jpg

b438a898-57b5-4e9f-99da-a0bfe4ad10f9.jpg

Edited by Svey302

On 1/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Techsew, a division of Raphael Sewing is in your city. Techsew is a leather sewing machine brand. There are several cylinder arm models in their lineup. I have a Techsew 2700 cylinder arm walking foot machine that came with a table attachment. It is a good light to medium duty sewer. I have used #138 thread in it, but #69 and #92 works better.

Tx for your recommendation but as they say, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression...I am talking about Raphael/Techsew.

Edited by Svey302