AlZilla

Glacier Wear

I'd like to plug Glacier Wear, who sells mostly furs and hides. If you look at their website, you'll see an amazing variety of things we like.  I live close enough to go there and even though they're not really a retail store, they accommodate my visit. I've had the treat of walking around their incredible warehouse and all the stuff you see on their website is right there. Giant stacks of it. Everywhere.

A side note, they supplied the big bear skin coat in the movie "The Revenant" and stuff for lots of other movies.

Attached are a couple of pics from my recent trip. Cobra skins, a few pieces of pig suede, a little buckskin.

cobra1.jpg

cobra2.jpg

glacierhaul.jpg

glacierhaul2.jpg

This looks like a great resource, thank you

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

Have you done anything with any of their veg tan as in tooling and the norm on veg?

Yeah, I made a belt with one of their blanks, a holster and a coupe of small things.  It tooled and worked fine. That was a 6oz hide I grabbed last August.

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Does it have a color like Herman Oak or almost white like some of the imports. It look more like HO in the pictures I looked at.

Oh, there's no veg tan in the pics. The light color piece is a small buckskin hide, which I'd say the color is fairly yellowish in person.

Having never seen a piece of Herman Oak, I can't really compare the veg tan color. I can say it was a fairly rich color.

man they have some nice pelts!!

still thinking on what i could possibly make with a hot pink skunk pelt lol.

6 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Oh, there's no veg tan in the pics. The light color piece is a small buckskin hide, which I'd say the color is fairly yellowish in person.

Having never seen a piece of Herman Oak, I can't really compare the veg tan color. I can say it was a fairly rich color.

No that's what I was referring to (your piece), I've looked around the site a bunch of times and was never sure ordering something and not being what the picture looked. It's nice to  know someone has been/ordered from them before now so I know it's not a shot in the dark.

4 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

No that's what I was referring to (your piece), I've looked around the site a bunch of times and was never sure ordering something and not being what the picture looked. It's nice to  know someone has been/ordered from them before now so I know it's not a shot in the dark.

I'd say just call them. I've been there a couple of times and they treat me like a visiting prince. I bet they'd be happy to email a picture of whatever your interested in.

One of the cobra hides I got has a small chunk out of it and the guy really wanted to swap it out for me. But I'm just going to cut it up for inlays so he finally relented and let me keep it.