Have just run into a problem I should have thought about more. I've made a simple work belt that I intend to dye with Fiebing's Pro Dye. The dye will have to be applied in a well ventilated area. No problem; I've been using the tailgate of my truck as a work bench for gluing, and intended to do the same with dyeing. What I should have considered is where I was going to let it dry. Had intended this as a weekend project and allow it to remain in the bed of my truck. The truck bed is covered and rain wouldn't get to it. However, dew would.

Reading online, it seems that I would have to leave the belt flat until the dye dries. That limits where I could let it finish drying in the house.

How does everyone else handle this?

I hang the belt up by the buckle. I have a rod affixed to a shelf unit. it sticks out by about 10 inches. I hang anything that can be hunged on it

I use a heavy paper clip through the buckle end hole and hang it to dry in the work area.

3 hours ago, fredk said:

I hang the belt up by the buckle. I have a rod affixed to a shelf unit. it sticks out by about 10 inches. I hang anything that can be hunged on it

I did that once . . . had just dyed I think 6 belts for a show . . . 5 of the 6 were very dark at the bottom and lighter at the top where I hung them.

Ever since . . . I lay the belt on the top for about 5 minutes after I "dunk" dye the belt  . . . I then flip it over . . . allowing it to finish drying laying on the bottom edge of the belt.

Have never had any problem doing my belts that way . . . all are "dunk" dyed . . . and I only use a certain set of colors . . . works really great for me.

I have sat the belts in the garage . . . wood shop . . . leather shop . . . just wherever I have time and place to put them for the night.  All my dying is done just before bed time . . . and are dry by the next evening.

May God bless,

Dwight