Edsbear

Retarded Hook timing

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on why my Brother B837 needs the hook timing retarded to sew, the upper tension also needs to be very tight.

The hook needs to be right at the bottom of the needle scarf if the hook is timed by the book the bottom thread loops.

Could this be a main timing issue or belt slip?

Thanks

Sorry I can't help but misery loves company.  I too have a similar problem with my Pfaff, although I have not tried to retard the timing.  It used to sew just pretty good but I needed to give it a good cleaning as it sat in someone's unheated garage for years and was very rusty and dirty.  After taking things apart, I reset things by the book and now come up with bird nesting on the underside and having to run the top thread tension very tight.  I'm trying to find some original replacement parts for things that are either missing or have been damaged but am not having much luck.  I will continue to play with the timing and clearance settings to see if that helps and will let you know of my progress.  One thing I do know is that I had greater clearance between the hook and the needle before when the stitches were good, maybe try opening that up a bit?

Thanks for the response, I though I was the only one...

I cant retard the hook anymore because it will hit the needle eye area. I have tried various distances from the needle but still I have to use excessive upper tension.

One thing I noticed today was the the timing belt seems slack and can easily be slipped off the gear and with the flywheel aligned with the marks on the machine the timing mark on the lower gear doesn't quite line up, seems about half a tooth out. I will order a new belt and hoping that will help. The belt looks original so maybe its about time it was changed.

Machine is a Brother LS2-B837

Many thanks

Edited by Edsbear

Loosen your tension and flip the bobbin. Start from the beginning. 

80F4F920-C894-4E87-9087-DA84ADFB1B79.jpeg

Thanks Garyak, I started from the beginning several times and bobbin is in the correct way but the upper tension always ends up really high and hook has to be retarded to get a decent stitch

Cheers

I solved my bottom stitch birdnesting tonight, maybe this might help.  I noticed it would make an odd sound like the bobbin was spinning, that's when it would generate tons of loops.  I removed the cover plate over the bobbin and everything was fine, adjusted the top tension and colsed the cover and it would birdnest.  open the cover to watch and it would be OK.  Turns out I had the top cover plate turned 180 degrees which would allow the thread to hit it causing the noise.  It sounds bizarre but my problem is gone.  The top cover plate has some curved areas above the bobbin which I believe lets teh thread hit it and then direct it where it needs to go.  I should say that I have a top load bobbin, not sure if you do or not.  Next is to play around with tension to get my stitches all dialed in.

Nice one fibersport such a simple thing causing so much grief. My machine is a large bobbin top loader but the cover plate is flat, no bumps.

I am waiting for a new timing belt because it looks like it might be the original and has a bit of slop in it, I'm hoping this will help. The machine is not stitching too bad now but still has to have a lot of upper tension and very little in the bobbin.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday just sewing verious seams for practice, all without any issues other than running out of thread on the bobbin.  It was a good feeling knowing that I now have much more faith in the machine so when I do start my projects, I won't have to worry about it at all.  Good luck with your new belt, if nothing else it will give you peace of mind knowing that things are now able to be brought back to the correct timing.