Kenny202

Has anyone here used the recoloring creams?

I have a vintage bag I want to restore, grey / creamish color. Has some spots and stains....possibly mold spots but leather still soft and if mold is inactive.

I was going to completely re stain it another color but do like the original color. Anyone used these color restoring creams? Would it likely cover spots up and

is it permanent or just a temporary thing like say brown shoe polish? One I was looking at brand name something like EIDECHSE 

I watched a video on YouTube of someone using Black #18 Eidechse Recoloring Balm on a black wallet.  Looks like a glorified shoe polish to me.  It might make the bag look somewhat better, but likely won't eliminate any defects.  

If you have mold spots, even inactive, it might be a good idea to remove the underlying mold before you do anything else. Otherwise, it will just come back.

I have used some of the recoloring creams and they work fine. I recolored some shoes and jackets that were faded. The colors were mainly black and browns. The color has not faded or washed away as yet. With careful application, the colors do not transfer when wet either. I did condition after the application. I used the ones by Startso World from Amazon. It sometimes comes with a mink conditioner.

I have not tried lighter colors but there is no reason why they should be any different. Only question is whether they will cover the spots and stains.

Not expecting perfect results. I reckon the stains will still be visible to some degree but at the moment it just looks dirty. Completely washed and scrubbed the leather with vinegar today and it helps but the stains will never come out. They have absorbed into the porous leather. My plan is to put some mink oil on after applying color (or before?) and then give it a good buff with wax. I am sure discoloration will still be visible to some extent but hopefully with all the work may come across more as a patina than stains

I've used these creams. They are nothing but glorified shoe polish. They will not cover up stains, they'll just colour them. but they still be very eveident.

I now use the creams as edge paint or low-lighting designs

Just as a follow up received my creams today and applied them. They weren't really a cream or polish type thing at all. Best I can tell it is an acrylic paint in cream form. I must say finished product after a couple of coats is good. It looks like its been painted, same as a colored (not stained) bag I guess. All in all I would prefer stain but the bag is so badly marked I think this was the only choice. The deciding factor will be when I apply some wax to the bag if the paint holds and accepts it. It is clearly acrylic as it washed off my hands fairly easy in water. Anyway, the color is solid and no visible stains any more.   

I have a neutral shoe polish. Will this do as a wax? I also have Mink oil. I am living remotely in Thailand and leather products not easy to source.

Assuming it is acrylic paint of some kind should I apply mink oil then wax? Or only wax? I did apply Mink oil after prepping / cleaning the bag before applying this cream.

Would the mink oil soak into the leather through the paint?

I think wax only. The mink oil won't get through the wax to the leather. Does the bag need more after you've done it once already? the leather doesn't need much and too much can be bad for leather as well

obviously your recolouring cream is very different to the stuff I've bought

Adding a bit of leather dye to conditioner is another way to even out color.  The video below mentions this method.   I've seen some purse/garment makers use Lincoln neutral shoe polish on their products.  I prefer a waxy conditioner like Blackrock Leather N' Rich or Fiebings Aussie conditioner.

46 minutes ago, fredk said:

I think wax only. The mink oil won't get through the wax to the leather. Does the bag need more after you've done it once already? the leather doesn't need much and too much can be bad for leather as well

obviously your recolouring cream is very different to the stuff I've bought

I don't think it needs more mink. The leather is nice and soft. More concerned with stabilizing the finish and of course shining it up for a nice professional look :-)

I use Leather Refinish, in 4 ounce jars, I get from OTB and made by Wood-N-Stuff. If I need a color OTB doesn't stock, I buy direct from Wood. The first step is to apply the preparer all over the area to be dyed/painted. let it dry, then spread the paint evenly and let it dry. Apply a second coat. Apply an acrylic top finish if desired. You should be good to go. I mainly use this refinish on leather jackets and vests. I've used it since roughly 2008.