I want to add a safety strap to a holster thats all ready made, and wondering whats the best way to do this. I can think of several ways to do this , but wondering if others have done this and how they did  it

Thanks for any help here

Guy might be able to use a hand awl and a curved (or short) needle to add on, but I found that 'clunky' and tedious. A guy could RIVET a strap to the holster, but I don't like rivet construction.  Generally, I either cut the holster apart, add the add-on, then resew the holster... or if that's not possible, I just don't take on the task.

Not exactly the same; I was once tasked with putting a retention strap on an already made up knife sheath. I couldn't take it apart to do it. 

I used double sided tape to hold the strap to the back side of the sheath. I put a thin wood block inside and punched sewing holes. I only needed about 4 each side of the length of the strap. I prefer not to make holes go across a strap. I cut down then curved a saddler needle into a semi-circle (I still have that one and use it) and sewed it. Extremely fiddly and annoying. After that was done I took the strap across the knife guard to almost the other side of the sheath on the front where I cut it to length and punched holes to take a Sam Brown button. The SB was a screw fitting. When it was fitted I glued a small piece of very thin leather over the screw head inside the sheath. For that I needed very long needle-nose pliers to get down into the sheath.    =   Job done

HTH

43 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I want to add a safety strap to a holster thats all ready made, and wondering whats the best way to do this. I can think of several ways to do this , but wondering if others have done this and how they did  it

Thanks for any help here

I've done a few but they were all different fixes depending on the holster shape. Show us a picture of what your talkin about.

All holsters I've ever run across will have at least a short piece above the gun that keeps it from rubbing the flesh of the wearer.

Up near the top of that . . . around the hammer area . . . six stitches will hold a suicide strap with no problems.  Do them in a box pattern 2 down each side . . . one at the top . . . one at the bottom . . . 

Also all holster I've ever run across will have a place . . . usually just in front of . . . the trigger guard . . . where there is no weapon . . . but there is some room there between the front and back of the holster.

Find a wood piece you can shove in there . . . keep it tight . . . and punch the hole for the snap.  You then muscle in the male piece for the inside part of the snap . . . up thru the hole . . . and take that same piece of wood . . . covered this time with a piece of steel . . . shove it down tight so the snap part won't move . . . add the other part of the snap . . . punch it down . . . and hit it a couple extra times . . . and you can make that inside piece flat enough to look like skin on the inside of the holster.

Add the female part of the snap to the suicide strap . . . call your customer to come get his holster.

If you don't want to use a snap . . . use fredk's same principle to sew a round piece of leather that will allow you to first attach the male part of a snap . . . then sew it into place . . . after you have contact cemented in place.

A but tedious . . . but it works.  If he's a friend . . . good customer . . . no charge . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Its the Robert E Lee IWB  that he now wants to wear it OWB and have the strap added.

20230226_114540 (Copy).jpg

Thanks for all the ideas :thumbsup:

Edited by Bert03241

with that rig,. prolly easiest way to gitter dunn is a straight strap, with a line 24 snap on BOTH ends2 snaps, and 2 them little plastic protector thingies, and done. ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

with that rig,. prolly easiest way to gitter dunn is a straight strap, with a line 24 snap on BOTH ends2 snaps, and 2 them little plastic protector thingies, and done. ;)

plastic protector thingies, ?? :dunno:

28 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

plastic protector thingies, ?? :dunno:

http://www.bluegunstore.com/clearplasticsnapprotector-line24size-1-1.aspx

You can plan the lining on a new holster so you don't need these, but these are a simple work-around for a retrofit ;)

Edited by JLSleather

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

http://www.bluegunstore.com/clearplasticsnapprotector-line24size-1-1.aspx

You can plan the lining on a new holster so you don't need these, but these are a simple work-around for a retrofit ;)

Boy they don't give those things away do they:head_hurts_kr:

58 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

yeah, I know... bit much for what it is, really.  Other hand, $buck apiece, and you only need 2....

Again, if Im making the holster with snaps, I can cause the lining to suit and not need those.  In this situation... $2 is a quick "fix"..  Maybe somebody out yer way can get ya a couple? Cheaper if ya buy in bulk, of course.  I don't remember paying that much, but been a while since I ordered some.

13 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Look for KAM snaps. You can get them very cheaply, like under $5 for 100. Available in different sizes. I use the tops to go over the bases of metal snaps.

I did a wee test on them a wee while ago. I'll look for that **

The tops dont just snap into place you need to glue them on/into the metal snap, but they stay in place well enough

eg. KAM snaps. This size will cover the base of a 15mm dia metal snap; 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332638472744?var=541754601669

** Found it; 

Edited by fredk

17 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Its the Robert E Lee IWB  that he now wants to wear it OWB and have the strap added.

heres how i did this one the strap is sewn on under the new loop, the attachment is tee shaped , well actually kind of triangular like the stitching on top it acts as a welt under the top of the loop so the belt will ride correctly for the cant. you can place the strap at any spot along the tee to fit your pistol.

redo7.JPG

14 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

cut or punch out a thin piece of liner , leather , what ever and glue it to your inside metal piece, fold over and glue the edges so they crimp under when setting the snap. i use a a 1" punch and super thin suede liner. simple and free.

18 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

redo8.JPG

Thanks for all the ideas. I sewed the strap on the back side and a 24 snap on the front.

IMG_0972004.jpg

IMG_0970003.jpg

Edited by Bert03241

I had forgotten Robert E.Lee was a Ruger fan.:lol:

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I had forgotten Robert E.Lee was a Ruger fan.:lol:

This one's a Glock fan:yes:

Sorry. Looked like a Ruger in the first pic.

18 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Thanks for all the ideas. I sewed the strap on the back side and a 24 snap on the front.

IMG_0972004.jpg

IMG_0970003.jpg

Given all there was on that holster . . . I don't think I would have done anything differently . . . 

If I did anything different . . . I would have gone with a piece of velcro instead of the snap . . . but I would have given him the choice of which he wanted.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 4/3/2023 at 6:23 AM, gregintenn said:

Sorry. Looked like a Ruger in the first pic.

Ah yes your are correct the first pic is a Ruger.:oops: I stuck my P95 for a test fit LOL a Glock 22 and my P95 are close in size.The last pic's are with his Glock :yes: