Sheilajeanne

Repurposing a Sewing Machine

Thought this was pretty awesome! :thumbsup:  They even saved the light from the machine! 

But I'm not sure it will actually move on its own - maybe it's spring powered,  like a windup toy? 

sewing machine tractor.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Well, thats.....different :specool:  Used a bracket as a seat and another component as a steering wheel  .  Very creative !!  If it was mine, I'd make it move a  using  an RC model remote perhaps? 

It does remind me of our old " tractor' garden sprinkler  , it moved powered by the water. 

HS 

If only they had used  " yellow " on the wheels ;)    That is 9.5 outa 10 on thinking outside of the box !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Sheilajeanne  & @Gezzer  Google this  : '   John Deere Sewing machine   '

All I can say  is  HOLY CRAP  !!!!!!! :jawdropper:

First time I've seen those. Love em !! 

HS

3 hours ago, Gezzer said:

If only they had used  " yellow " on the wheels ;)    That is 9.5 outa 10 on thinking outside of the box !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Deere fan, I take it?? :lol:

Actually, White brand tractors are most often red - or white!  https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/White_Farm_Equipment#Tractors

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

Oooh!! INSTRUCTIONS!!  https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-Sewing-Machine-Tractor/

Still trying to find out if these things actually run under their own 'steam'!  According to its maker, this one doesn't. The electric motor is only there for show, and he removed most of the insides of it to reduce the tractor's weight:

The completed tractor can be played with as a backyard or sandbox toy, or stuck up on a shelf for display.

I'm not sure exactly what we're going to do with it yet.

Maybe I'll sell it and buy more old broken sewing machines. You can never have too many!

Actually, as someone who has often visited the annual Georgian Bay steam show in Cookstown, Ontario, I realize steam WOULD be an option! One of my cousins had a miniature steam engine that actually worked when I was a kid!  https://www.steamshow.ca/

Some of you will relate to that last line! :rofl:

Maybe I'll sell it and buy more old broken sewing machines. You can never have too many!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

Yes Sir , that covers it really well . I searched J D sewing machine tractor and then clicked on the image tab ...... unreal !

Here is a repurposed singer machine 

that is now my bobbin winder

2BAB0E24-12C1-47CF-9D6A-E67E51001418.jpeg.e35e878f631eaa216d6031eef558cb13.jpeg

7607A6F5-3BD7-4B09-A767-D151545C7CC4.jpeg.edf75c91d6d28d83e5fa95f9a6220f4c.jpeg

On 5/7/2023 at 12:20 AM, Frodo said:

Here is a repurposed singer machine 

that is now my bobbin winder

2BAB0E24-12C1-47CF-9D6A-E67E51001418.jpeg.e35e878f631eaa216d6031eef558cb13.jpeg

7607A6F5-3BD7-4B09-A767-D151545C7CC4.jpeg.edf75c91d6d28d83e5fa95f9a6220f4c.jpeg

Hmm . . . I got two junk machines out in the garage . . . may look into that idea

May God bless,

Dwight

268D114F-5777-474D-AE14-17320F5E59BA.jpeg.113173418fd17e2f189681dde10e75e1.jpeg

On the picture you see a spring 

i drilled a holeand moved the spring

it is moved from the location indicated by the penn.  to s new hole

Spring pushes the wheel against the turning pulley

i dont have pics of my finished saw, i put a nice oak table on it after i got the bugs worked out.

jigsaw1.jpg

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i dont have pics of my finished saw, i put a nice oak table on it after i got the bugs worked out.

jigsaw1.jpg

That's a cool looking gizmo . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

31 minutes ago, Dwight said:

That's a cool looking gizmo . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

its currently in re thinking mode lol. I plan on putting it on this old treadle machine stand and making it foot powered. 

jigsaw2.jpg

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

its currently in re thinking mode lol. I plan on putting it on this old treadle machine stand and making it foot powered. 

jigsaw2.jpg

If we was close enough . . . I'd offer to make you darn near any kind of table you wanted for that invention of yours . . . in trade for the Singer.

May God bless,

Dwight

17 minutes ago, Dwight said:

If we was close enough . . . I'd offer to make you darn near any kind of table you wanted for that invention of yours . . . in trade for the Singer.

May God bless,

Dwight

Oh there is no machine in it. I was given the table because they were going to toss it. The top is water damaged and the glue joints are failing. But the treadle is still good and all the parts are there. I wish there was an old Singer in it too.

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Oh there is no machine in it. I was given the table because they were going to toss it. The top is water damaged and the glue joints are failing. But the treadle is still good and all the parts are there. I wish there was an old Singer in it too.

I actually have one here at the house . . .  it was my mom's . . .  and may have belonged to my grandmother . . .  I don't know for sure.  It only has one drawer on each side . . .  and the center drawer for all the attachments is still there . . .  attachments gone . . .  but their home stayed.

I learned to sew on the thing . . .  mom gave it to me after she got her electric machine . . .  I put an aftermarket motor on it . . .  sewed a bunch of stuff with it.

It's going to my niece . . .  I'm 78 . . .  starting to part things out so I make sure someone who will care for it . . . gets it.  She's a sweetheart . . . just got engaged . . . 

Anyway . . . have fun with your invention . . . looks like a lot of fun to be had there.

My next tool I'll be making will probably be a 60 inch sheet metal brake.

May God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

I actually have one here at the house . . .  it was my mom's . . .  and may have belonged to my grandmother . . .  I don't know for sure.  It only has one drawer on each side . . .  and the center drawer for all the attachments is still there . . .  attachments gone . . .  but their home stayed.

I learned to sew on the thing . . .  mom gave it to me after she got her electric machine . . .  I put an aftermarket motor on it . . .  sewed a bunch of stuff with it.

It's going to my niece . . .  I'm 78 . . .  starting to part things out so I make sure someone who will care for it . . . gets it.  She's a sweetheart . . . just got engaged . . . 

Anyway . . . have fun with your invention . . . looks like a lot of fun to be had there.

My next tool I'll be making will probably be a 60 inch sheet metal brake.

May God bless,

Dwight

Our family Singer went to my brother, from my grandmother it was the only machine she ever used. We even found receipts from when her dad paid it off back in the early 1900's.  If this wood wasn't in such bad shape i would refurbish it in a heart beat. I'll bet your niece treasures that old machine though its good you have someone who will. A brake is on my list someday too lol I'm going to have to change out my furnace one of these years.

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Our family Singer went to my brother, from my grandmother it was the only machine she ever used. We even found receipts from when her dad paid it off back in the early 1900's.  If this wood wasn't in such bad shape i would refurbish it in a heart beat. I'll bet your niece treasures that old machine though its good you have someone who will. A brake is on my list someday too lol I'm going to have to change out my furnace one of these years.

Ever heard of duck board?

you can make your plenum box and return air box out of  duck board then  use what is called a spin in to connect the  duck to the box

after it is connected, paint it with a water proof mastic. I will get you the name later

it will last a long time and be close to the same price,,  upside.  Easier to work with

12 hours ago, Frodo said:

Ever heard of duck board?

you can make your plenum box and return air box out of  duck board then  use what is called a spin in to connect the  duck to the box

after it is connected, paint it with a water proof mastic. I will get you the name later

it will last a long time and be close to the same price,,  upside.  Easier to work with

oh yea that would work great. man I don't want a new furnace, to many bells and whistles. its another example of over engineering a product for no good reason.

21 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

oh yea that would work great. man I don't want a new furnace, to many bells and whistles. its another example of over engineering a product for no good reason.

When you get ready to do what ever it us you want to do

holler at me

Plumbing and hvac is what I do. I have a paper that says “master” on it but in reality I got that because I guessed the best answer  out of a 4 multi guess question

I am a good guesser

1 minute ago, Frodo said:

When you get ready to do what ever it us you want to do

holler at me

Plumbing and hvac is what I do. I have a paper that says “master” on it but in reality I got that because I guessed the best answer  out of a 4 multi guess question

I am a good guesser

lol i asked a master carpenter once what the dif was between him and an apprentice. " i know how to hide my F*#k ups!!" was his answer. 

I spent 30 years doing it and never got the chance to get licensed working for the state. We did have licensed people once in a while i learned from an old master plumber from "Philly" We used hot water heat from three 750 hp coal fired boilers that traveled the prison in every thing up to 5" copper, miles of it all in tunnels underground pumped by dozens of pumps of every size you can imagine. About 50 air handling units run by Johnson controls pneumatics. it was a plumbers night mare and an hvac techs worst fears. On top of the industrial plumbing we had three wardens homes to maintain as well but all had hot water heat so my residential furnace knowledge is limited though i have done some tin work.

I sure will bend your ear though my friend I don't know everything thank you for the offer.

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol i asked a master carpenter once what the dif was between him and an apprentice. " i know how to hide my F*#k ups!!" was his answer. 

I spent 30 years doing it and never got the chance to get licensed working for the state. We did have licensed people once in a while i learned from an old master plumber from "Philly" We used hot water heat from three 750 hp coal fired boilers that traveled the prison in every thing up to 5" copper, miles of it all in tunnels underground pumped by dozens of pumps of every size you can imagine. About 50 air handling units run by Johnson controls pneumatics. it was a plumbers night mare and an hvac techs worst fears. On top of the industrial plumbing we had three wardens homes to maintain as well but all had hot water heat so my residential furnace knowledge is limited though i have done some tin work.

I sure will bend your ear though my friend I don't know everything thank you for the offer.

I built prisons in Texas and Colorado

and was involved in a break out in one of them.

we were roughing in a kitchen as nd worked a 11 hour day, the guards locked the gate which locked us in. We saw a hole in the  Fencc do we w Ed not through it and walked the perimeter road to the salt port

the guard was surprised to see a 5 man crew show up and asked where we cs Ed f try from 

when he was told a hole in the fence he flipped out and it got real lively around their, with guards running every which away.  After that. Before they locked out gate they would come talk to us