Mocivnik

How to add this effect on leather edges?

Before anything else, I consider myself an inventor. I once worked in a bottling factory one day I came up with an idea of how to make part of the line process better. I was explaining my idea to a guy I worked with, and noticed the guy that worked in the back room was just in earshot of us and seemed not to have a reason for being there, he was just listing to everything I said. The next day I came into work and there he was with all the bosses explaining his invention to them, I just looked at him smiled, and said that's a very cool idea! he looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said thanks. So in my mind, if you see something unique, copy it and then say it was your idea, well good luck to you. Folks who do that kind of thing know who they are. LOL

I know what you're saying

Been there, t-shirt and ballcap and the keyring too, many, many times. Now I tell or show no-one till I have it protected

@fredk: yeah, that make sense (on how to wrap it and stuff). Might try some day.

@Samalan: i get you. But I dont want to give this away as my invention, but to use it as a part of my creation.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, Tugadude said:

Chuck asks some good questions and I'll try to answer them best I can.

As far as copying and what is acceptable to copy and what is not, here's my take.  

We all copy.  If you boil things down to their base level where the rubber meets the road or the leather meets the pony, we all copy.  And we copy easy things, difficult things and yes, cool things.

I think there's acceptable copying and then there's copying that isn't as acceptable.  Figuring out which is which is somewhat easy for me, I just know it when I see it.  It is that little voice in my head, the conscience that tells me not to do something because it is unique to someone else and they might be harmed should I take their idea for myself.  I'm not suggesting I'm the only one with a conscience and I'm also not claiming to have the market cornered regarding ethics.  

We all have to make decisions.  Some decide differently.  Some read what I said and agree, some disagree and some fall in the middle, agreeing with some, but not all.  

If my post has done nothing but cause people to stop and think and ask themselves whether it is right or wrong to appropriate another's idea, then I've succeeded in what I set out to do.

Regarding the fancy edge treatment, I have no idea whether it is a unique process or something special that the maker devised him or herself.  In fact, maybe THEY copied someone else for all I know.  

There's a company that was selling wallets and such that were natural veg tan but they had a sort of indigo blue fade effect as part of their "signature".  Looked pretty neat.  It set their work apart.  In my opinion it's best left that way.

teranishi-indigo-dyed-leather-goods-all.jpg

Just an observation, an opinion

not an attack

you are saying that you decide what can be copied and what can not. Why can’t I decide for myself ? If I decide a widget can be copied and you say other wise Am I wrong or are you wrong?

I understand your position and respect it. I respect your decision and will not question it.  Respect mine and extend the same respect

Here is where the real rubber hits the road 

if you have an idea that you do not want copied, patent that Idea, If you choose not to protect your intellectual property then it is not only morally and ethically acceptable to copy your work it is also lawful to copy your work

Well, that latest post just cements my decision to step away for awhile.  Not going to even dignify it with a response.  No need to defend myself or anything I said.

Take care folks.

On 4/7/2023 at 1:44 AM, Mocivnik said:

i get you. But I dont want to give this away as my invention, but to use it as a part of my creation.

I agree with that intention when we put something out there as a design and someone copies it that should be a complement to the designer or fabricator unless you are trying to make it your idea.  this is not your intention, sorry for my post it was really not necessary.