MtlBiker

"Climbing Mechanism"???

I just saw a video of someone using a Techsew 4800 Pro and she kept talking about "engaging" the "climbing mechanism" but didn't show what or how she was doing it.  I'd never heard of this before but it's something that lets the machine more easily sew over thicker sections (could be called a hump jumper). 

Can anyone explain what that is and how it works?  And is it specific to the 4800 Pro or might my 2750 Pro also have it, unknown to me?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Can anyone explain what that is and how it works? 

The Techsew 4800 is a clone of the Juki LS-1342 and the Techsew 2750 is a clone of the older Juki LS-341. From Juki website ( juki.com/ls-1342-series ) 

"The vertical stroke of the walking foot and presser foot can be easily set and changed (LS-1342, LS-1342-7)

The vertical stroke of the presser foot and walking foot (amount of alternating vertical movement) can be easily changed with the large dial mounted on the top of the machine head. The sewing speed is automatically regulated based on the vertical stroke setting. This ensures ideal sewing conditions at all times."

kgg

16 minutes ago, kgg said:

The Techsew 4800 is a clone of the Juki LS-1342 and the Techsew 2750 is a clone of the older Juki LS-341. From Juki website ( juki.com/ls-1342-series ) 

"The vertical stroke of the walking foot and presser foot can be easily set and changed (LS-1342, LS-1342-7)

The vertical stroke of the presser foot and walking foot (amount of alternating vertical movement) can be easily changed with the large dial mounted on the top of the machine head. The sewing speed is automatically regulated based on the vertical stroke setting. This ensures ideal sewing conditions at all times."

kgg

Geez, you're really a walking encyclopedia of sewing machine knowledge!  Thank you!

So, according to the video I saw, this is something that you can change within a line of stitching.  I've sewn over humps (some quite large) and really didn't have any trouble without having that feature.

5 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

So, according to the video I saw, this is something that you can change within a line of stitching.  I've sewn over humps (some quite large) and really didn't have any trouble without having that feature.

It is possible that you have your walking feet set up to have a fairly high lift already. That will work well enough most of the time unless you are doing thinner work. You get a better looking stitch generally if the feet are not running too high above the job and the smoothness of the machine will be better and less inclined to miss stitch as well. The knob on top is great because when you come up to a thick piece like the join in a top line of a bag you can simply give the knob a quick turn to give you a higher foot lift until you are clear of the thick part. In the Cowboy range in Australia that machine is called a CB6900 and in the States I think it is a CB 1341. On most machines to get a higher or lower foot lift requires using spanners at the back of the machine. You can see me using one of these machines in this video but alas I did not think to show the knob adjustment in use. I will try and do a video showing it sometime. -

My 211A has an air cylinder on the back side which can increase the lift of the feet temporarily to walk over a thick seam.   Most machines have a wing nut which holds the walking foot eccentric arm to the lever on the back of the machine. By changing the position on the lever, you can adjust the lift.  The air cylinder when activated, will bump up the foot height until it's released. Then the machine reverts to normal foot height.  This is on top of the manual foot height adjustments. 

I borrowed this pic from the site. This isn't my machine but it's like my machine. 

22-01-08 14-27-35 6709.jpeg

Edited by Quade

@Tugadude, @RockyAussie and @Quade - The term "climbing mechanism" was a new term (and feature) to me.  Thank you for explaining it.  My "next" machine will surely have that!  :)