DaveP

Old leather 1950's

A guy at work just gave me this piece of leather. Not sure yet if veg or chrome tanned. More than likely veg tan. It's from the Garden State tannery in Pine Grove, PA. that burned down in 1958. The newspaper It's wrapped in is from June 10 , 1956! Kinda cool. 

20230501_100650.jpg

20230501_100638.jpg

You tease!  Show us the actual leather.  Reminds me of the Russian leather that was found in a shipwreck at the bottom of the sea.  Leather can surprise!

I'm sure there are better articles with photos, etc., but this one gives some details.

https://www.greatenglish.co.uk/2010/03/29/200-year-old-russian-reindeer-leather/

Not bad for 1789!

image.thumb.png.ad45e52be3dfdc42ae284d0d6af83221.png

Very cool. I think id shrink wrap the whole thing like it sets or vacuum pack it and just keep it like it is. I dont think i could bring myself to use it.

Better send it to me for proper disposal

I wouldn’t have any trouble using the leather!   At all.  God is the first leather maker.  He made clothes for Eve and clothes for Adam out of leather.   I’d love it if you’d post pictures of all the newspaper articles where we can read them!!

5 hours ago, genewshipp said:

I’d love it if you’d post pictures of all the newspaper articles where we can read them!!

It also would be good to preserve that paper, it would have a nice piece of history in the articles. 

HS