Cali514

Adler 30-7 or Techsew Post Bed 85017

Hi, I'm a newbie looking for a sewing machine. There are two second hand machines in my area (Montreal, Canada)

that have peaked my attention. One is an Adler 30-7 with a motor (not a servo) being sold by a sewing repair shop. 

The other machine is a Post-Bed Techsew 85017.  I plan to make wallets, shoes and eventually Bags.

Any advice on which would be a better choice I have added pics of both machines.

The ADler is 1200.00 CDN$ with a 6 month warranty.

The Techsew is 2250 with no warranty.

Thank you in advance,

Wayne

Adler_30_7.jpg

Techsew_Post.jpg

5 hours ago, Cali514 said:

The ADler is 1200.00 CDN$ with a 6 month warranty.

The Alder is a good brand name but if I'm not mistaken parts are very scarce to source and will be expensive if they can be had for 30-7. The Alder I'm going to assume has a clutch motor and is going to be difficult gaining / mastering speed control so you will be needing to replace it with a servo motor and possibly a speed reducer so add another $200 to $400 dollars to the price. The Alder is a patcher made to do mainly repairs like the Singer 29K and clone machines.

From a parts perspective the Techsew should be easier to source parts should you need them and would probably be the better choice for constructing shoe uppers of the two machines.

Neither machine would be my first choice for the construction of wallets as flat items would be better done on a flatbed or a cylinder arm machine with a flatbed attachment. As far as bags depending on the style of bags you plan on doing a cylinder bed would probably be a better choice. 

If possible take a sample of what you want to sew and try sewing it on both machines before purchasing.

Really it depends on what you want to mainly sew and no one machine will do everything. I would suggest looking at cylinder bed machines with a flatbed attachment as an all rounder and adding specific purposed machines as project needs / wants come along.

kgg

@Cali514 - Hi, and welcome to the forum!  I'm also in Montreal. 

As @kgg said, I suggest the Adler shouldn't be your first choice.  And for here in Canada the price sounds rather on the high side for that machine.  (About 2 years ago I bought a brand new Consew 206RB-5 with table and servo for $1,300 Cdn.)  And as far as the Techsew post bed machine goes, I'm not familiar with that model.  It does look like a good choice in postbed machine... I like the high post and the compound walking foot and it seems to still be a current model.  Techsew is also here in Montreal in case you didn't know.  But I'd also suggest this wouldn't be the best choice for you, although if you are sure a post bed machine would fill the majority of your needs, it might be alright.

Do you have any other sewing machine(s)?  Knowing that would probably help us give you better advice.  If you do not have another machine, then a cylinder arm machine with flatbed table attachment might be your best bet for a first machine.  But there is NO one machine that would do everything.

I don't make shoes, but I have often dreamed of one day adding a postbed machine to my "fleet".  But it certainly would not be my first (or only) machine.

Since you're in Montreal, have you checked out National 2000 for used machines?  I haven't been there but have heard they often have a good selection of used machines.

Do you have enough experience to know what size thread (and needle) you plan to use?

If you want to chat offline, send me a private message and I'll share my contact info.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by MtlBiker

@Cali514 - The more I look at the specs for the Techsew the more I like it.  If I was buying one now, it might be the machine I'd go for.  And the price seems to be quite good.  Have you seen the machine?  Do you know what condition it's in?  Has it been used in an industrial environment and is beat up and worn down?  Any idea how old it is?  If you can, take something you plan to sew along with you when you go to look at it and see how it sews.

The Adler patcher has aggressive feet that will leave marks on your leather.  The feed is only from the presser foot, no bottom feed or needle feed.  Nor recommended for wallets or purses.  Primary purpose is patching shoes, boots, and sewing patches on jackets or caps.

Also may be hard to sew straight lines. 

I own an Adler 30-7. It is meant for repairing tears and loose stitches in shoes, boots and cylindrical items, like cue cases, pants seams, and, as was mentioned earlier, for sewing patches over pockets and linings on vests, and jackets. It is a great machine for sewing in zippers in purses and boots. The bobbin is called a large bobbin in "Patcher Speak." This translates into about half the capacity of the bobbin in a Singer 111 type machine's "G" size bobbin. Those bobbins are usually referred to as 1x capacity in the industrial sewing machine World. Judging by the small diameter of the post, that tall post machine likely uses a Singer "G" bobbin. That is a perfect machine for making and repairing hats of all kinds. You can also sew along the top of a bag and the very bottom of a bag.

TBT, I would buy them both, then find a good working condition Singer 111w155 or 156 flat bed machine.

If you know how to ride a Harley, a clutch motor is no big deal. You already know how to feather a clutch. Otherwise, there will be a learning curve. If the Adler is on a matching power stand, it will contain a 1/2 horsepower clutch motor and 1 2:1 speed reducer. There is a custom bracket bolted to the left side of the motor actuator arm that comes out the bottom of the stand and connects to the "gas" pedal. It will not be easy to replace this setup with a servo motor, if it is doable at all. Deal with it and feather the clutch.

What you haven't been told about the Adler patcher is that is has a revolving foot that feeds in 360 degrees. There is a screw on the front of the revolving head housing to lock the foot in position to "try" to sew a straight line. There are no edge guides, so straight lines are tricky. Don't attempt it if you are stoned!

EDIT:

It looks like the Adler has been custom mounted to a standard, but shortened industrial sewing machine table. I can't see the bottom of it where the speed pedal is located, so again, no idea if it can be converted to a servo motor. I would just go with the motor they have in it. Clutch motors are very easy to adjust for slack movement before they begin to engage. Not so for most servo motors.

Thanks guys  for your comments and opinions.

@kgg Good point about the parts. I'm mechanically inclined but I'm don't want to be in a position where I'm spending my time sourcing parts.Having said that, I think these machines are beautiful, and I probably may pick it up down the line if still available.

@Wizcrafts I was hoping you would chime in. I saw a post in another thread that you had a 30-7. See motor below. Thank you for mentioning the revolving foot. I think I'm going to keep an eye on this ad, as it's been available for some time.  I can't do both at the moment as I don't have the space for two. It's tempting though. 

@MtlBiker Salut! I have an old Singer that struggles with everything except the thinnest of leathers. I made one wallet with it and that is the extent of my experience with sewing machines. I just learned how to make shoes, and my teacher helped with sewing the uppers for the shoes. I did not know about National 2000, I will check them out. You and @kgg make a valid point about the cylinder machine with flatbed attachment. The Post-bed model was a Techsew Demo model,. I'm not sure what conditions the machine was used in, but from the looks of the items he has for sale they look in good condition visually. I am going to take my friend who sews with me when I go to see it and any other machine. Thanks for the offer of assistance, I will PM you after work.

@Northmount "Also may be hard to sew straight lines." Yup, this decided it for me. Thanks!

Thanks again to you all. This is truly a great site and community Cheers!

30_7_Motor.jpg

3 hours ago, Cali514 said:

I saw a post in another thread that you had a 30-7. See motor below.

@Cali514, this motor can indeed be swapped for a servo motor (if necessary). I regard this setup as a standard motor and pedal alignment. My Adler is mounted on a steel stand made by Adler. It isn't easily modified. The one you are looking at can be modified and accessorized.

If you do buy the patcher, don't change the motor right away. You need free play to hand turn the balance wheel. The clutch motor has a big bolt that's shown in your photo. That bolt can be screwed in or out for more or less free play before the clutch engages. A servo motor may have zero free play before it engages. But, it may have a brake pad that can be removed for free play. However, that means you lose the brake! That's how it is on the servo motors in my machines. The ones with the brake removed have to be slowed and stopped by grabbing the rotating wheel. There are different types of servo motor.