bruce johnson

Scrap Leather Thoughts

12 hours ago, Garyak said:

There’s money in scrap

8B47288E-60CD-4184-89EB-73931BF996A5.jpeg

I like this kind of patchwork bag that lends itself to the scrap pile but it highlights the limitations re what options there are to build them. In this example the patches are obviously butted together and top stitched to some kind of backing. The type of backing will determine whether any gaps open up down the line.

This kind of look can also be achieved with a zig zag stitch.

image.png

I also like the type where each layer overlaps the the layer before and top stitched through two or more lasers. This can be interesting but obviously leads to double thickness in places and raw edges.

il_340x270.3477925863_ieme.jpg

I actually favour using the "French seam" where only the first of three stitches is effective unless the two top stitches go through a backing tape or a liner.

image.png

This one uses a turned and stitched through the seam allowance, probably with a glued lining for support.

image.png

If anyone wants inspiration for a patchwork bag. Just put that into Etsy UK. Lots of fantastic ideas in there.

Edited by Northmount
replaced AVIF files

Hi @toxo Please post picture files as jpeg or png types.  Many users are loath to download files that they don't know or if their source is safe.  Replaced AVIF files with screen grabs.

Thanks

I actually really like this the most. It is unusual and one of a kind. No offense @toxo but the others are nice but repeatable and sometime seen. This one? Nope.

44 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Hi @toxo Please post picture files as jpeg or png types.  Many users are loath to download files that they don't know or if their source is safe.  Replaced AVIF files with screen grabs.

Thanks

Thanks Northmount. I like to think I'm fairly computer savvy but clearly sometimes, not so much.

13 minutes ago, SUP said:

I actually really like this the most. It is unusual and one of a kind. No offense @toxo but the others are nice but repeatable and sometime seen. This one? Nope.

No offense taken I assure you SUP. It wasn't supposed to be "this one is better". It was merely to point out different ways of doing it. And if it's "Unique" you're looking for, there are literally 1,000s of em out there.

@toxo That's true but they should be unique AND beautiful. To me. I'm finicky.:)

Not everyone has the eye and talent to design really beautiful things or to get the colors just right. No idea who designed this bag but that person has both.

12 minutes ago, SUP said:

Thank you. I’ve dragged scraps around for the last 35 years… finally put’em to work. 

@Garyak You made this bag? It is gorgeous!  I hope you made more and charged a mint for them. 

The beauty of this is that it doesn't look like it's made from scraps. It looks deliberate. 

Edited by SUP

That bag is fantastic, I would like to try making something similar with my scraps 

1 hour ago, Mickey070 said:

you made this patched bags and the scrapped bags..... wow good handmade bags, very gorgeous.

No Mickey, I didn't make these but I intend to make some similar soon.

5 hours ago, Mickey070 said:

Ok toxo, i made these wrist wallet myself

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 9.20.56 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 8.45.55 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 9.20.56 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 9.20.56 AM.jpeg

Neat idea.

Bluddy clever idea!

Join etsy and ebay, best market places