WalterF

Started a Medic Bag for Pens

Started a bag for pens and paper to be able to write a letter or journal while away from home. Plus it just looked stinkin cool.
It is fun when two come together. Saw a medic bag that is made for pens, it looked interesting. Went back to the original Swiss Army Medic Bags, the early from the 1940's and later from the 1980's. Liked features of both, so why not combine and augment some myself.
The outside is 4-5 oz Herman Oak veg tan, while the inside lining is Wickett and Craig Russet harness veg tan. Thought of doing a carving on the front but the lid covered to much, a basket stamp was chosen. Still lots of burnishing and sewing to finish it. Most of the sewing will be done by hand.
Will show the finished item with pens and stuff loaded.

351495699_1523852408022557_3299203331494875753_n.jpg

351407565_270173368830839_2167689152561585100_n.jpg

looking good! altho the inner divider piece looks a little lopsided... maybe just the camera angle?

anyway, look forward to seeing more.  =)

Nice basket stamping.  Looking good so far.

5 hours ago, Heartless said:

looking good! altho the inner divider piece looks a little lopsided... maybe just the camera angle?

anyway, look forward to seeing more.  =)

Thank you, you are right about the cant. It is just mocked up and didn't take enough time in putting it together.

3 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

Nice basket stamping.  Looking good so far.

Thank you, didn't show the picture of the back. Had a brain fart and mis-stamped one on it.

352263344_1426484984807868_735357111810791536_n.jpg

Finished the bag, spent a lot of time on it.

Back Finished 1 web.jpg

Open Finished 1 web.jpg

Walt .75 2 web.jpg

Looks good. I like BW stamping done parallel to a side or edge. The side snaps look different in the finished photo. Did you change those to magnetic or something?

On 6/11/2023 at 12:00 PM, WalterF said:

Thank you, didn't show the picture of the back. Had a brain fart and mis-stamped one on it.

I've done that. It's an annoyance for sure but it doesn't take away from the overall effect.

Edited by MarshalWill

19 hours ago, WalterF said:

Finished the bag, spent a lot of time on it.

Back Finished 1 web.jpg

Open Finished 1 web.jpg

Walt .75 2 web.jpg

WOW!! That is incredible!! I us almost exclusively fountain pens for my writing and love anything that has to do with them!

On 7/20/2023 at 11:21 AM, MarshalWill said:

Looks good. I like BW stamping done parallel to a side or edge. The side snaps look different in the finished photo. Did you change those to magnetic or something?

I've done that. It's an annoyance for sure but it doesn't take away from the overall effect.

Thank you, yes I changed from snaps to magnets. Holds strong and is easier to open and close. 

On 7/20/2023 at 12:48 PM, ArkieNewbie said:

WOW!! That is incredible!! I us almost exclusively fountain pens for my writing and love anything that has to do with them!

Thank you, Fountain Pens write better to me than ball points. My Kaweco Brass Sport is my carry pen, through it in my pocket with wallet and dings and tarnish add to it. Plus my Pilot 912 with flex nib and aftermarket feed is fun for line variation. Does flow the ink now.