Treesner

foil stamp adjustable guide

hey guys I have a cheap foil stamping machine and I'm trying to figure out a way to line up my straps to get them centered. I'm doing a diamond shape too so it makes it tricky not getting it crooked..

anyone have any tools or adjustable fences I could add 

found this XY drill fixture on amazon

61lok5HFDwL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

this machine has a cool looking guide Etsy

il_1588xN.4007118520_1rks.jpg

I like that this has the clips to hold the work and the whole base slides in and out, expensive machine tho Etsy

il_1588xN.4921203092_ay9l.jpg

https://www.dreamfactorytools.com/products/stamping-machine?variant=31465078259756

20210923-0027.jpg?v=1632396576&width=289

Retrofitting XY milling tables was pretty common on old school toggle presses like Kensols. I did exactly that on a Kwikprint 86 and used an old Palmgren XY Rotary table which gives me the left/right and a full 360 of adjustment. It's improved that machines capability significantly. 

I was only able to make this modification because the KP 86 has adjustable head height. Even the cheapo XY tables you posted probably wont fit under head most of the Chinese hot stamping machines. That includes the Dream Factory for sure.

The other issue is the platforms relationship to the stamping head. They need to perfectly parallel across the board to stamp evenly. You will have no way of adjusting that on the XY in relationship to the chase/fixture/stamping head of the machine using the pictured set. The design of the Kwikprint gives you control over the platforms level using four leveling screws. It's a nice feature when you need it but it would still be better to have that cast into the frame itself as those screws work themselves loose over time (even with threadlock). 

In the photo below you can see the Palmgren rotary table bolted to the dovetailed platform of the KP. A ground 3/8" steel plate was then bolted to the vise as a work platform. 

IMG_5979.jpg

On 6/17/2023 at 6:24 AM, nycnycdesign said:

Retrofitting XY milling tables was pretty common on old school toggle presses like Kensols. I did exactly that on a Kwikprint 86 and used an old Palmgren XY Rotary table which gives me the left/right and a full 360 of adjustment. It's improved that machines capability significantly. 

I was only able to make this modification because the KP 86 has adjustable head height. Even the cheapo XY tables you posted probably wont fit under head most of the Chinese hot stamping machines. That includes the Dream Factory for sure.

The other issue is the platforms relationship to the stamping head. They need to perfectly parallel across the board to stamp evenly. You will have no way of adjusting that on the XY in relationship to the chase/fixture/stamping head of the machine using the pictured set. The design of the Kwikprint gives you control over the platforms level using four leveling screws. It's a nice feature when you need it but it would still be better to have that cast into the frame itself as those screws work themselves loose over time (even with threadlock). 

In the photo below you can see the Palmgren rotary table bolted to the dovetailed platform of the KP. A ground 3/8" steel plate was then bolted to the vise as a work platform. 

IMG_5979.jpg

the cheap Chinese ones do have some leveling in the stamp area itself with the 4 bolts, kinda annoying but doable. mine does not have the springs as advertised here, I wonder if that works to self level the stamp as they are claiming it to work? I have to use quite a bit of force so I feel like I would end up just bottoming out the springs.. 

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Stamping-Pressure-Base-Plate-Embossing/dp/B07H97H9RQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=INNXX90SZVN6&keywords=foil+stamping+machine&qid=1686682812&sprefix=foil+stamping+machin%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRTVYREYzWlhZQ0NBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU1MDY0MzBQOTIzTFY0SUs2VSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ1NDg2MzFEOTlTNVpIVE5RUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2096742569_Screenshot2023-06-27at12_33_10PM.thumb.png.9da960581642aefad22f4ce04e5eb4ad.png

I don’t have an answer for you. Sorry.

I have one of the numerous brands of this model pictured below. It has a heat digital reading windows. It also has a calibrated slide out table.
I marked the table where my stamp hit when pressed,, and it helped get the slide out  table centered.
Then it became the struggle of consistency getting the stamp centered in the part that did the pressing. Very frustrating.
The machine ‘ Seemed’ really cool when I first got it. It does a nice job if precision isn’t needed over and over.
However,, I seldom use it now. It was just to hard to get the temperature to be the same each time. And so on and so on.

instead I use a item that is like a soldering iron. I have better luck squaring things up with it. 
The press while very cool in idea,  is like all tools.
Until they are mastered, they can be frustrating.

Joel

IMG_1251.jpeg

Personally, if it was me, I would look for a Kwikprint Model 55. It's portable, bomb proof, and most use a simple robotemp controller. You can't beat them. I have about 8 in our production shop and rebuild them often. Foil stamping is a delicate balance between pressure, dwell, and temperature and springs will probably get in the way of that. 

I have a dozen or so Kwikprints for sale in the New York area. Some 55's, 86's, and some goose neck stands. Reach out if youre in the area. 

On 6/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, nycnycdesign said:

Personally, if it was me, I would look for a Kwikprint Model 55. It's portable, bomb proof, and most use a simple robotemp controller. You can't beat them. I have about 8 in our production shop and rebuild them often. Foil stamping is a delicate balance between pressure, dwell, and temperature and springs will probably get in the way of that. 

I have a dozen or so Kwikprints for sale in the New York area. Some 55's, 86's, and some goose neck stands. Reach out if youre in the area. 

I'm in California so pretty far.. I saw a 86 on marketplace in my area, whats the difference between he 55 and 86

On 6/13/2023 at 2:00 PM, Treesner said:

hey guys I have a cheap foil stamping machine and I'm trying to figure out a way to line up my straps to get them centered. I'm doing a diamond shape too so it makes it tricky not getting it crooked..

I have the same machine from Amazon with the four springs.  Try watching this video.  It's way to long and might put you to sleep but you can skim it and pick up some good tips.  Particularly squaring up the die and seeing how he builds a jig to get things lined up properly.  Hope this helps.