wombat57

United branded machine - WE 8410084

Hi folks - brand new here and planning in my retirement to get into leatherworking, mostly upholstery.  I have a possible line on a United walking foot, possibly triple feed, with a tag WE 8410084.  Do any of you machine guru's have any info on this?  It is just another Singer111/Juki clone, or something else.  Any info appreciated.  

Thx

Wombat

We’re gonna need a picture of that machine. That tag may be just the serial number. We also need some location info, Europe, North America, elsewhere?

Here in the U.S. there’s a United Sewing company that apparently sells rebranded clones of Juki, Durkopp Adler, and other machines.

http://unitedsewing.com/united_machines_sewing.asp

image.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe,

btw are you originally from der Vaterland?  My wife is German - Siegen area.  We lived over there 8 years - Stuttgart, Braunschweig, and Baden-Baden areas.  What a great experience.  And thanks for help.

Regards,

Chip

Screenshot 2023-06-16 121328.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-16 121712.png

and yes, in the US - missed that.

thanks

wombat

Yup, German import here, from the Lake Constance/Bodensee area.

That machine in the pictures sure looks like a Singer 111W155 or Consew 225 class machine, or some other variation. It does appear to be a compound feed machine with top/bottom/needle feed. No reverse. If it’s a Singer, it’ll say Singer or Simanco on many of the parts inside. Otherwise, it’s likely a rebadged Consew, and you may seek Seiko markings.

image.jpeg

These are generally good starter machines, easy to work on and to learn sewing machine maintenance. Parts are generally cheap and readily available. My first industrial machine and gateway drug was a Consew 225. 

Edited by Uwe

Thanks again Uwe - ironically, at the local recycle center this morning after my first post, I met a guy with a really clean '88 Ford Ranger like I used to have - we started talking about  it and he showed me the only  work it has required in 35 years - a panel replacement on the front seat - which he did using in his words "an old sewing machine my father had."  I asked him what kind it was and what were his plans - Singer 111w155, and I'm going to pick it up now.  

$75.00  :-)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!  

And thanks again!

Wombat 

4 hours ago, wombat57 said:

in the US

You could add this to your profile.  It is helpful when your are seeking information relevant to your location, or for others that would need it to understand your posts more clearly.

18 hours ago, wombat57 said:

Thanks again Uwe - ironically, at the local recycle center this morning after my first post, I met a guy with a really clean '88 Ford Ranger like I used to have - we started talking about  it and he showed me the only  work it has required in 35 years - a panel replacement on the front seat - which he did using in his words "an old sewing machine my father had."  I asked him what kind it was and what were his plans - Singer 111w155, and I'm going to pick it up now.  

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!  

And thanks again!

Wombat 

It's surprising what can happen at times when you just have a nice talk with folks!!

- Bill

New toy!  This pic after first cleaning.  Going to do second cleaning now.  It has a newer belt, no visibly broken parts and at first hand rollovers seems relatively tight. Any recommendations on near original hammered finish paint ( other than Home Depot rattle can?). Ordering gear motor drive.

IMG_6103.jpeg

1 hour ago, wombat57 said:

Any recommendations on near original hammered finish paint ( other than Home Depot rattle can?).

You could try a automotive supply house or a local body shop.

A couple of manuals that may help you in the future:

kgg

111w152,153,154,155 (2).pdf Singer_111W155_Parts.pdf

Congrats on your new toy!

The hammered paint rattle can is not a bad option, actually. I painted my Consew 255 using that and it came out looking quite nice. It was a lot of work prepping the machine, removing all the small bits, plugging holes, etc.

There’s several topics here on LW of people restoring and repainting their machines, and suitable paint options. Try a targeted Google search like “site:leatherworker.net sewing machine paint”. It may give better results than the built-in search engine here on the LW website.

Simply embracing the vintage clean workhorse look is also a valid option.

Also, don’t be shy about starting a new topic as relevant questions come up. Individual, focused topics are easier to read and search for than run-on, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type topics.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

On 6/16/2023 at 11:20 AM, wombat57 said:

Nice!   There are good deals out there if someone knocks on enough doors.

How much was the United sewing machine selling for?

The first thing that popped into my mind was it’s missing a lot of paint, but that’s not a bad thing since it shows it wasn’t a factory machine with multiple coats of paint in between rebuilds.    At least with my silver 111w155, the paint seems to be thinner and less durable than the older black one - but that may be due to some aggressive cleaning with solvents at some time in its life.

In upholstery shops that sew a lot of things with zippers and preinstalled snaps, the paint really takes a hammering.   Same for really large canvas if it’s allowed to drag on a dirty floor and pick up sand and dirt.  Heck, even the bad habit of resting scissors on the bed will strip the paint over the years.